Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Draft Stopper

• 15-10-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I've a wooden front door that is letting a draft in.
    The door is "kinked" or twisted in the frame...it is further into the frame at the top and sitting out of the frame at the bottom.
    How can I stop the draft?

Is there any way of blocking the draft internally or does it have to be done from the outside?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MDPolak

What about hinges? Are they adjustable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I suspect the door is warped so adjusting hinges wont do anything. The good thing about wooden doors is that they flex. If it's fairly easy to push the bottom of the door tight back in position with your foot you can use a latch bolt near the bottom to hold the door tight against the frame.
    Then, if you don't already have them, fit a draught seal all the way around the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

yeah it seems warped alright...i have a latch bolt on the bottom but it doesnt hold the door flush to the frame anymore, maybe a stronger latch will do the trick?

also, is there any one draught seal that is better than the next????
    there is a strip of rubber running up the inside of the frame - is this a draught strip or is a draught strip a strip fixed to the outside of the door??

the hinges dont seem to be adjustable...

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

Post a photo of your hinges, I had a similar problem and put up with it for a while until I took a look one day and realised the door had been hung arseways first day.

Advertisement