Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE, soarview and tv license

• 15-10-2012 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

With RTE going ditigal and requiring a saorview box to get a siginal for television, would the tv license law become old and outdated? I mean you could have a television or buy a new one but it won't work without a saorview box. It will work for dvds and game playing but not for a tv signal without a saorview box.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Never fear OP, our trusty government are coming to the rescue with a new broadcasting tax on everyone and everything................
    HOMES and businesses without a television will still be hit with a new broadcasting licence fee under government plans.

The new levy is being considered in a bid to ensure people who view public service broadcasting online will not be able to avoid paying.

Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte, who brought the new proposal before the Dail yesterday, said today that a huge number of people now got their news, not from sitting in front of the 9pm news, but from other services offered by the national broadcaster.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-broadcasting-licence-to-target-every-irish-household-even-those-without-a-tv-2993767.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

They've heard all the excuses and none of them work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

same thing as saying the old televisions wont pick up stations without an aerial. Even if you didnt have an aerial you still have to pay. If you have a tv without a box you still have to pay the TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Never fear OP, our trusty government are coming to the rescue with a new broadcasting tax on everyone and everything................

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-broadcasting-licence-to-target-every-irish-household-even-those-without-a-tv-2993767.html

I know, I never forgot about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Wow a new tax, what ever will they think of next :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ilovesleep wrote: »
    With RTE going ditigal and requiring a saorview box to get a siginal for television, would the tv license law become old and outdated? I mean you could have a television or buy a new one but it won't work without a saorview box. It will work for dvds and game playing but not for a tv signal without a saorview box.

I wouldn't rely on any advice you get here on legal matters. But it seems the legislation addresses the point you raised.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Television+Licence+FAQ.htm

Q. Do I require a television Licence even though I am unable to receive RTÉ and other Irish regulated broadcasts?

A. Yes. The position is that once you are in possession of a television set capable of receiving television broadcasts, you are required to have a television licence. Effectively, it is the set that is licensed, not the ability to receive television broadcasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

msg11 wrote: »
    Wow a new tax, what ever will they think of next :rolleyes:

More taxes.

After all why shouldn't the Irish taxpayer foot the bill for Roman Abramovich's gambling losses? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't rely on any advice you get here on legal matters. But it seems the legislation addresses the point you raised.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

saorview = free view but yet you have to pay a tax for it. Does not compute

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Television+Licence+FAQ.htm

Q. Do I require a television Licence even though I am unable to receive RTÉ and other Irish regulated broadcasts?

A. Yes. The position is that once you are in possession of a television set capable of receiving television broadcasts, you are required to have a television licence. Effectively, it is the set that is licensed, not the ability to receive television broadcasts

But the television won't be able to recieve a broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Even if you put your boot thru the screen and you're using the telly to put your potted plants on top of, in theory, you still have to pay a licence. If the tv is broken or unable to receive a signal, it is still deemed 'repairable' and liable for a licence.

Fcuked-up, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe if all the old signal is gone and you have an old TV, you no longer have a device capable of receiving a broadcast and shouldn't need a licence for the device that is now no more than a monitor.

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe if all the old signal is gone and you have an old TV, you no longer have a device capable of receiving a broadcast and shouldn't need a licence for the device that is now no more than a monitor.

The TV is still capable of receiving broadcasts, even if there are none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Even if you put your boot thru the screen and you're using the telly to put your potted plants on top of, in theory, you still have to pay a licence. If the tv is broken or unable to receive a signal, it is still deemed 'repairable' and liable for a licence.

Fcuked-up, I know.

On that , I know are person who got fined for having two broken tellys in his apartment.

mickdw wrote: »

NO!

Read and weep.

When the analogue television service is switched off your analogue television set will need a set-top box to receive digital television. Your analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a television licence.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thus making it a monitor. A tv by, definition, has to be able to receive tv images. With analog turned off it can no longer do so.

Gee Bag wrote: »

And dont get me started on that broadcasting charge. I remember when I was renting alone, I didn't have a television for a long time and it was so freeing. I loved it and slept well too at night, probably due to not have a tv and a winddown time before bed where I wasn't stimulated. Anyways after months I decided to buy a fart of a thing for watching dvds and movies but it broke after a few weeks (in a powercut). I lived happily for the remainder of my lease without a tv.

I didn't have a laptop or computer.

And my phone is an old sh1te and far from watching tv I bought it for and far from a live broadcast I can pick up.

I'm sure there are plently more that were just like me without a tv and laptop and computer and phone. Yet they would still be expected to pay into the system with an arguement that every household must have these gadgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That would be a shaky argument legally. To be capable of doing something that doesn't exist specifically to be capable of receiving a broadcast which will no longer be.

Fcuked-up, I know.
    Dont tell me about it. I lived for a long time with a broken tv and never got around to dumping it due to having no transport because I would have to recycle it and far from the rubbish bin I'd be allowed to throw it in.

I love your wording of your reply. It made me laugh so much.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Thus making it a monitor. A tv by, definition, has to be able to receive tv images. With analog turned off it can no longer do so.

If you brought it back to the shop and tried to tell them it is not a TV set I wonder how you would get on. It will receive and display TV images if you connect it to the proper equipment. This from the link I gave earlier.

The position is that once a television set is capable of displaying conventional television broadcasting services e.g. RTÉ One, TV3 and BBC One then the licensing requirement applies.

• Advertisement

Dont tell me about it. I lived for a long time with a broken tv and never got around to dumping it due to having no transport because I would have to recycle it and far from the rubbish bin I'd be allowed to throw it in.

I love your wording of your reply. It made me laugh so much.

Glad to amuse.
    I know a pair of batchelor farmers in the arse end of nowhere who have about 30 or 40 tellys, mostly broken.....don't ask.

Somehow, I don't think they have a licence for any of them.

How is the tv still capable of receiving broadcasts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Basically if you can't receive Saorview you should not pay a TV licence end of question. I know the law states otherwise but if you cannot even get reception why should you pay? It would be like paying a flat charge water rate even if you provide your own water or have no supply.

Basically no service = no payment from me. I object to the TV licence because of the waste it funds.

You could attach it to a satellite dish and box and then it would receive them.

If you brought it back to the shop and tried to tell them it is not a TV set I wonder how you would get on. It will receive and display TV images if you connect it to the proper equipment. This from the link I gave earlier.

The position is that once a television set is capable of displaying conventional television broadcasting services e.g. RTÉ One, TV3 and BBC One then the licensing requirement applies.

But it will be the equipment (the saorview box) that picks up the broadcasts and not the tv.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Basically if you can't receive Saorview you should not pay a TV licence end of question. I know the law states otherwise but if you cannot even get reception why should you pay? It would be like paying a flat charge water rate even if you provide your own water or have no supply.

Basically no service = no payment from me. I object to the TV licence because of the waste it funds.

No service no need for a TV set. Sell it problem solved.

You could attach it to a satellite dish and box and then it would receive them.

I got rid of sky to reduce bills and because I couldn't afford it and have no attention of getting sky or anything similiar.

But the playstation/xbox/nintendo won't play by itself.

The type of broadcast isn't set out in the legislation. Technically your TV will be just as capable of receiving a broadcast after the switchover.

Besides, your TV will still be 'receiving' a broadcast, just in a different way. If you have no aerial or satellite then perhaps you could get away with it, though I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And dont get me started on that broadcasting charge. I remember when I was renting alone, I didn't have a television for a long time and it was so freeing. I loved it and slept well too at night, probably due to not have a tv and a winddown time before bed where I wasn't stimulated. Anyways after months I decided to buy a fart of a thing for watching dvds and movies but it broke after a few weeks (in a powercut). I lived happily for the remainder of my lease without a tv.

I didn't have a laptop or computer.

And my phone is an old sh1te and far from watching tv I bought it for and far from a live broadcast I can pick up.

I'm sure there are plently more that were just like me without a tv and laptop and computer and phone. Yet they would still be expected to pay into the system with an arguement that every household must have these gadgets.

Are you doing all your posting and browsing from that ****e old phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Besides, your TV will still be 'receiving' a broadcast, just in a different way.

In what way?

Are you doing all your posting and browsing from that ****e old phone?

Yes, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

With RTE going ditigal and requiring a saorview box to get a siginal for television, would the tv license law become old and outdated? I mean you could have a television or buy a new one but it won't work without a saorview box.

You can use a new TV capable of decoding the DTT signal, so then no need for a set-top box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If there is no service from RTÉ why should a person still have to pay the TV Licence fee, satellite reception is almost universal but terrestrial reception only covers 75% of the country at best.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    With RTE going ditigal and requiring a saorview box to get a siginal for television, would the tv license law become old and outdated? I mean you could have a television or buy a new one but it won't work without a saorview box.

You can use a new TV capable of decoding the DTT signal, so then no need for a set-top box.

What if you have no desire to replace your tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I think its called a Television Licence for a reason

imme wrote: »
    I think its called a Television Licence for a reason
    Without the extra equipment you will not be able to watch television. You'll be watching a fuzzy, dotty screan.

Stinicker wrote: »
    If there is no service from RTÉ why should a person still have to pay the TV Licence fee, satellite reception is almost universal but terrestrial reception only covers 75% of the country at best.

Where did you get that 75% figure from?

Without the extra equipment you will not be able to watch television. You'll be watching a fuzzy, dotty screan.

Same as if you had no aerial. The point is if you have a box/satellite/aerial/whatever then your TV is capable of 'receiving' a broadcast.

• Advertisement

Same as if you had no aerial. The point is if you have a box/satellite/aerial/whatever then your TV is capable of 'receiving' a broadcast.

But without the extra equipment your TV does not have the ability to pick up a broadcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I don't have digital tv or any boxes, just the usual 15 channels, and every night there's a message s rolling on the screen every hour or so, saying we don't need soarview as we're UPC customers and our basic service will be continued and if we need to upgrade phone blah blah blah.

Anyone else getting this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

But without the extra equipment your TV does not have the ability to pick up a broadcast.

yes but its the same as the old analogue without an aerial you cant pick up a signal. If you have a television you have to pay the license. Just count ourselves lucky they only ask you for one tv license. Your meant to have one for each TV in the house

areyawell wrote: »
    yes but its the same as the old analogue without an aerial you cant pick up a signal. If you have a television you have to pay the license. Just count ourselves lucky they only ask you for one tv license. Your meant to have one for each TV in the house

I don't care what the old system was.

Without the extra equipment a television will not be capable nor does it have the ability to pick up a broadcast. It is the saorview box that will be capable and has the ability for picking up broadcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

same thing as saying the old televisions wont pick up stations without an aerial. Even if you didnt have an aerial you still have to pay. If you have a tv without a box you still have to pay the TV license.

Its not the same thing really. You need a licence for a television set.

A tv set under the current licence definition will not be a tv set after aso if it is not a saorview capable one. It will be nothing more than a monitor under the licence definition. And a tv licence is not needed for a monitor.

So if someone has just a tv (non saorview) now for a ps3, they should not need a licence, just like they wouldn`t if using a projector with a ps3. Someone with a skybox and analogue tv will, as that will be a tv set under the licence definition.

But like I said a couple of years ago that if everyone used projectors overnight instead of tv`s, the tv licence name would change, amd so it will likely change to accommodate this and every other possible way of availing of the service.

The reality is, they simply want everyone to pay, regardless of whether they avail of the service or not. Tv licences really have little to do with tv`s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

No it's only one licence per household regardless of the number of TV sets, unless the building is subdivided into flats etc. Jeez don't be giving them ideas lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your meant to have one for each TV in the house

Thats incorrect. One licence per household. If you have 10 tv`s, one licence required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

heh, heh,
    what happens if you just have an smart phone and you watch tv on that, do they have a tax for that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a satellite dish or satellite receiver or any saorview box, or a TV tuner card that has a raw feed.

I would be truly shocked if there was a loop hole for cable TV. So I'd guess that it's considered broadcast and any type of set top box is a receiver

IIRC because of a change in the law you can now watch TV on a screen smaller than 7" without a license (portable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't care what the old system was.

Without the extra equipment a television will not be capable nor does it have the ability to pick up a broadcast. It is the saorview box that will be capable and has the ability for picking up broadcasts.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? :) Tvs as they are now require extra equipment to work, it's called an aerial and saying you don't have an aerial won't cut it as an excuse.

If you have a functioning telly then you pay the fee as you have to ability to make it receive a broadcast.

It's not rocket science. It's not even 1st year introduction to science for new secondary school starters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement