Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE, soarview and tv license

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dont pay a tv license, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would you need a firearms licence if the act of hunting was banned? I suspect so. You're paying for the right to possess the equipment, what you can do with it is irrelevant.

If a firearm is put beyond use then you don't need a licence for it. That's what Saorview has done to non-digital TVs. Additionally, to date, if you could prove that a traditional tv had no tuner or had it's tuner disabled beyond use by an electrical shop you didn't need a licence for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If a firearm is put beyond use then you don't need a licence for it. That's what Saorview has done to non-digital TVs. Additionally, to date, if you could prove that a traditional tv had no tuner or had it's tuner disabled beyond use by an electrical shop you didn't need a licence for it.
    AFAIK
    The broken TV defence worked in the UK , not here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

“People were on email in five or ten minutes to tell me what a dreadful idea it was and they had never had a TV in their lives. You can only conclude they are accessing public service content on the RTE website,” he said.

LOL
    This is moronic. RTE's website for news is a joke and I rarely touch it with a barge pole, I get my news from irishtimes.com, independent.ie and reuters for international, all of which are funded by ads (as indeed is RTE's website, making it extremely dubious how they can also charge people for using it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Lads, just be glad you're not in the UK, trying to figure out if you need a TV license or not.

Atleast they get a decent return for their money over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I don't agree with the law that states that you are capable of repairing your broken tv therefore pay for it, is still exists unfortunately. However your unbroken tv could still pick up a PAL-I signal IF it was broadcast and whether the broadcast is available or not isn't an issue. Only possessing the equipment is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

ilovesleep wrote: »
    With RTE going ditigal and requiring a saorview box to get a siginal for television, would the tv license law become old and outdated?

Everyone associated with RTE should be sent to the concentration camp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lads, just be glad you're not in the UK, trying to figure out if you need a TV license or not.
    So if you make a box that holds a TV and UPS you're grand over there :pac:
    Atleast they get a decent return for their money over there.
    As do we :D

*hugs FTA satellite receiver*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't agree with the law that states that you are capable of repairing your broken tv therefore pay for it, is still exists unfortunately. However your unbroken tv could still pick up a PAL-I signal IF it was broadcast and whether the broadcast is available or not isn't an issue. Only possessing the equipment is.

Someday some of the population will realise thats the whole point. They could not care less if it only works on mars. They just want your money, and will link any aspect of tv broadcasts, even ridiculous ones such as a tv that only works in china, with needing to pay the rte fee.

Many see that as legitimate as its a tv that will work somewhere. But in reality, if everywhere on earth turn off their analogue signals on wednesday, an amendment would have been made to ensure the analugue tv was still liable.

Such an amendment is there already anyway. If you have a tv which can be connected to a saorview box, you are liable just in case you go out and buy one. Which in my opinion is farcical.

Advertisement