Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC v BDO TV events audiences.

• 15-10-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

A lot of debate has arisen on here and in other darts forums about the behaviour of sections of the crowd at Dublin over the weekend and been compared to the atmosphere at the BDO World Masters event across the water in Hull.

It's fair to say the behaviour of some fans at PDC events leaves a lot to be desired. While there's a lot of debate about the carry on in Dublin the PDC crowd problems are really widespread with incidents at Premier League venues,in Ally Pally and basically every PDC event has been hit with some problems caused by fans where in contrast BDO events have no problems with great respect shown by the fans with any Incidents that do happen been dealt with quickly.

The main point of my question is I suppose with the PDC offering far greater TV exposure and prize money in their tournaments compared to the 2 TV tournaments and very reduced prize fund the BDO have should PDC players put up with the noise,jeering and booing that happens in their events while players are in action because at the end of the day they have a great chance of earning serious money and been in the TV spotlight so they should just put up with noisy badly behaved fans?

Personally while I love watching both sides of the darts I'm beginning to get turned off more and more from the PDC with fans behaviour at the games compared to the great respect shown to players in the BDO from the fans. However after reading other UK darts forums and darts fans facebook pages there seems to be a majority who think Mervyn King was wrong to moan about the crowd last night and that he's getting well paid for playing with the PDC and he should cop on and get on with it! A bit surprised myself with this view but what do forum members on here think? Should PDC players just get on with the game or should the PDC try and get crowd behaviour in order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

I went friday night to city west..although it was great i honestly believe less than 50% of the crowd had zero interest in the darts,especially after the first match, Pipe v Dolan. Most were more intersted in getting on tv for 0.25 seconds in there fancy dress costumes...

But...without all the fancy dress people and people there for just beer and craic,the venue would have looked empty,the atmosphere wouldnt have been anywhere near as good,therefore the prizemoney would have seriously reduced.. I think it would have been very easy for the security to pick out the noise makers.maybe two strikes and your out the door...until they police it better,the players will have to just deal with it..

And for anyone who wants to see great darts,great atmosphere and great respect shown to all of the worlds best,get yourself down to killarney this wknd and see how the proper irish darts fans behave..and hooefully one of our own can upset the big boys..Mr.King will have no excuses if he shows up

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Premier League has made PDC darts what it is today. The raucous crowds have brought the booing etc, but they've also brought the big bucks that players are playing for.

There really is no way back now unless darts popularity declines. Attempting to educate fans is too late, you can't police 10000 from not singing, booing etc. To the average punter watching on TV, the darts "show" looks like great craic, and they'll go wanting a piece of the action.

Players just have to get used to it whether they like it or not. Younger players coming through will be more used to it, and the game will evolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

the BDO knew that they wouldn't get as much people watching the masters as the PDC but the must have known that this discussion would start and thats why they clashed the dates.

The PDC crowd make the BDO look good!!

But i'd still rather watch the PDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

its too late for some of the 'fans' who go to the pdc events, what happened in citywest happens in the PL and WC , i think the majority of players in the pdc would prefer better order, respect etc. but not a cost to reduced winners pay etc. which the bigger crowds have brought in the pdc. i like watching the bdo tournaments , but its just a shame it clashed with the WGP !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

mackeire wrote: »
    the BDO knew that they wouldn't get as much people watching the masters as the PDC but the must have known that this discussion would start and thats why they clashed the dates.

The PDC crowd make the BDO look good!!

But i'd still rather watch the PDC.

I would say the clash was more to do with the International break for the football. ESPN now show The English, Scottish, French, Dutch and German leagues, so they had the whole weekend to show the darts without interruption from football.
    Mind you knowing how the BDO work they probably asked for it to clash!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I wonder is there any way to regulate ticket sales and make majority of tickets available to members and players of various leagues around the country. I have to say when I went to the Citywest always gave it a good lash on the beer and roared plenty but always respected the players on the board. Any player will know there is a time to shout encouragement and a time to shut it but alot of these "Supporters" never played a proper game of darts, where proper order has to be, and always is given to player throwing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Jarjohn wrote: »
    I wonder is there any way to regulate ticket sales and make majority of tickets available to members and players of various leagues around the country. I have to say when I went to the Citywest always gave it a good lash on the beer and roared plenty but always respected the players on the board. Any player will know there is a time to shout encouragement and a time to shut it but alot of these "Supporters" never played a proper game of darts, where proper order has to be, and always is given to player throwing.

NEVER gonna happen....

There is no way the PDC would do that, nor would they want too, Darts events sell so well now, and quite easy aswell, so thats publicity in itself, the PDC are not going to go out of their way to change that by coming up with a solution like yours, way too much effort and could result in less tickets been sold....

As the old saying goes.

If its not broke, dont fix it, and in the eyes of the PDC, its not broke, events are selling very well and they're making plenty of money, crowd control wont be changing anytime soon, as someone already pointed out, you cannot tell between 5 and 10k people to keep quiet, not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Yeah but used to be the odd assshole shouting, now its alot of assholes. Of course mixing beer with a big crowd you wont get total silence but it just feels like too many are deliberately trying to put players off which is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Yeah but used to be the odd assshole shouting, now its alot of assholes. Of course mixing beer with a big crowd you wont get total silence but it just feels like too many are deliberately trying to put players off which is wrong

Totally agree with you, it shouldn't happen, there is big money on these games, and Mervyn King had every right to be pissed off about what happened, regardless of what people think about him on here, the booing, jeering, and all other crap effectively cost the guy an extra £60k, this is their livelyhoods and idiotic morons roaring and balling are ruining it... Im all for the atmosphere at darts, but there is a time for it, after the players have won the legs, hit 180's, end of sets etc, no need for booing an jeering on an important shot.

I was at Citywest Friday night, half the crowd if not more had no interest in the darts, people chatting and keeping tabs on the Ireland match more than the darts, if that was more important to them they should of went to that match, loads of girls near me kept asking silly questions about darts which proved they knew absolutely nothing about darts, 2 lads and a girl were conked out 2 tables up from me, pissed out of it, they were later thrown out, word has got out now and people just go for the ''craic'' not for the darts, and try get their mug on the telly in the process. Total idiots, and the citywest venue is notorious for attracting all sorts of scum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I was at Citywest all weekend, was totally pissed on Friday and Saturday but still had the cop on to enjoy the games and cheer on players. The booing of players is embarassing in the extreme, and it's becoming more and more prevalent.

The first time I remember it was 2 years ago with the fans booing Taylor, I actually got into an argument with a fella I told to shut up and show respect - but arguing with idiots brings you down to their level.

One thing I don't like are the PDC security staff, I've not had any issues with them personally but they walk around just looking for aggro, very impolite and you get the feeling they are looking to start on anyone, whilst their organisation are the ones encouraging the atmosphere to be lively. :confused:

Anyhow, I enjoyed the darts at the weekend, but particularly on Sunday I felt like Mervyn King deserved better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The PDC events are too raucous and over the top for my liking. I'm all for having a few drinks and a laugh
    but ultimately you're there to see some top darts. Of course the audience is part of the package but it shouldn't
    overshadow what's happening up at the oche. Most PDC events look like giant hen and stag parties and
    don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Advertisement