Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSIS Labs

Options
  • 15-10-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

What exactly happened with the CSIS labs? They were closed for some reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Someone stole gear from it so they restricted access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Heaven forbid they actually set up the door scanners that are installed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

chrislad wrote: »
    Heaven forbid they actually set up the door scanners that are installed!!!

Because it not like that stops stuff from getting robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Jester252 wrote: »
    Because it not like that stops stuff from getting robbed

It does. You need an id card to get in. No ID card, no entry. Students of the CSIS building a lot less likely to damage the labs than non-CSIS and indeed non-students.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

chrislad wrote: »
    It does. You need an id card to get in. No ID card, no entry. Students of the CSIS building a lot less likely to damage the labs than non-CSIS and indeed non-students.

Indeed. Often wonder why the card scanners are just left idle instead of using them, especially given the money that's been pumped into that building. (CS244 and CS304a both upgraded over the summer that I know of)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Indeed. Often wonder why the card scanners are just left idle instead of using them, especially given the money that's been pumped into that building. (CS244 and CS304a both upgraded over the summer that I know of)

Those scanners are really only used during the summer months. I'm on co-op in csis at the moment and that's the only time I've seen them being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

I'm not a csis student, but am really interested in learning how to edit audio properly. Was getting a csis student to give me mini tutorials... But now he cant show me anything coz we can't get into the lab to use the software :(:(

I know as I'm not a csis student, i dont really have licence to bitch about this... But its really disappointing and im sure there are far more people being inconvenienced by this to a far larger degree!

I'm not a csis student, but am really interested in learning how to edit audio properly. Was getting a csis student to give me mini tutorials... But now he cant show me anything coz we can't get into the lab to use the software :(:(

I know as I'm not a csis student, i dont really have licence to bitch about this... But its really disappointing and im sure there are far more people being inconvenienced by this to a far larger degree!

NON-CSIS SCUM! BURN 'EM ALL I SAY! :P

Ahem... moving on...

While I can understand why it would inconvenience people, but that said it's hard to have sympathy for ye either. It'd be like me complaining if I was kicked out of the Postgrad rooms around the place. :P

Ideally what I'd like to see is the labs all being card access only, and then keep the building open for an extra hour or so in the evenings. Think it's a joke that Kemmy is open til 10 (or later?) and CSIS closes at 9 even though we can't access files stored on those servers anywhere else.

But I've been bitching about that since first year, and will probably still be bitching about it in five years time if I finally manage to graduate. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

My brother said earlier that the Mac labs aren't locked anymore. Was he just lucky?

Re: CS304a, it wasn't so much upgraded as moved sideways from Win/Linux to Mac, which has made CS304b an awfully crowded lab. Fourth year Games and Systems people are having to share 'final year project' PCs, and there are a lot of labs in there again this year. :s I don't begrudge younger years being in there at all, it's just that I never see anyone in CS304a anymore, where it used to be handy to go into if CS304b was busy.

Couldn't agree more about swipe cards. What did we get these new cards for if not that? >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    My brother said earlier that the Mac labs aren't locked anymore. Was he just lucky?

CS1-044 isn't, CS3-004a still is locked though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Typical. If they'd left those (admittedly not great) Dell boxes in there, I could at least go in with my laptop for a bit of peace when 304b is packed. An open-source, low-res FYP means I can get away with never using my FYP PC but a lot of my friends are going to be very caught once we start hitting crunch time, what with PC sharing and the sheer number of first, second, and third years bantering about.

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »

Re: CS304a, it wasn't so much upgraded as moved sideways from Win/Linux to Mac, which has made CS304b an awfully crowded lab. Fourth year Games and Systems people are having to share 'final year project' PCs, and there are a lot of labs in there again this year. :s I don't begrudge younger years being in there at all, it's just that I never see anyone in CS304a anymore, where it used to be handy to go into if CS304b was busy.

Couldn't agree more about swipe cards. What did we get these new cards for if not that? >.<

I've passed 304a loads of times this year and it's always empty. Frustrating as hell, since I hate using 304b because my laptop is strong enough to do what I need to do, so I don't want to be taking a seat from someone that needs it.

Can't imagine how frustrating it is for FYPers. Whenever I was in 304b last year and an FYPer needed to use their PC, I always knew that at least I'd be able to just move next door and continue working.

And unfortunately 304b is going to be extra crowded this year, because both the 2nd year and 3rd year games students are both doing CS4075 (the Oblivion mod module), so there're 82 people who potentially need to use those computers instead of the usual ~40. And we haven't even started making the mods yet because we're still on the design stage, but over the next few weeks expect to see things get crazy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    CSIS closes at 9 even though we can't access files stored on those servers anywhere else.
    this will be solved by the time i do my FYP :D
    I have a plan already :cool:

Advertisement