Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skinny Jeans Yah or Nah

• 15-10-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

So who is a fan of them and who is not

On both Male and Females

Discuss???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wear them, and think they look well on me. I like them with boots or high top runners. And the ends don't get wet or raggedy ;) I'd wear black skinnies on a night out with heels too.

As for guys, I don't like them skin tight, but love a slim leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think they look great on slim guys and girls. Larger size people should avoid them as they would not flatter their body shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

For girls: Definitely yes with boots like Twee said. I like to wear them with shoe boots or my K.Cobain high-top cons.

For guys: If you're skinny I think it works fine, I have a few guy friends that it doesn't really work with tbh, they just look uncomfortable! Each to their own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

They look good on fit girls, dont think guys should wear them personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

They look good on girls but lads should never ever wear them. More than once I've checked a guy's arse out because of the stupid yokes.

However if lads insist on wearing them then the trick is to have slim hips, narrow legs and no arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

A certain Kerry footballer permanently wears them and is stuck into them, YUK... Does he have special mirrors at home that make him think he looks great??

Only on skinny folks only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Hmmmmm....
    skinny-jeans-skinny-jeans-fat-obese-demotivational-posters-1340767168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

nowadays you have skinny, slim, straight - the straight ones are what i would have classed as skinny a few years ago!

straight is as far as i'd go myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Liamario wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....

But they're normal jeans :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

Yeah, i think bottom line if you are skinny..then it suits.

I am rather skinny i have to say so i think i suit the look, but i have such skinny legs that i have had to buy spray on skinny, as normal skinny jeans look baggy on me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

deccurley wrote: »
    More than once I've checked a guy's arse out because of the stupid yokes.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Skinny jeans suit everyone... it's the tops that people need to sort out and match to their body shape.

I'm a big fan of the skinny!
    Liamario wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Yes, I am a big fan, I won't wear any other kind of jeans. I prefer the super skinnies...the kind that Jedward wear lol :D

Don't really like them on males though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Way too many people wear them that should not wear them. If you are more than size 10 straight leg is much better. As for men, they should stay away from them unless they are going for this look. :D

ef32f86e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Def skinny all the way. Haven't worn any other type jeans for years. Oh guys I'd rather straight leg though and only if the guy is skinny. Big guys are better of sticking to the wider leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

meeeeh wrote: »
    Way too many people wear them that should not wear them. If you are more than size 10 straight leg is much better. As for men, they should stay away from them unless they are going for this look. :D

ef32f86e.jpg

When I was younger, I used to wear Spandex /Lycra jeans like those worn above and they were skinny - as in wearing a second skin.

Yah.

I love 'em. And as I cycle to work, no getting them stuck in the gears for my bike!

meeeeh wrote: »
    If you are more than size 10 straight leg is much better.

I disagree, I've seen girls bigger than that look great in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I got a pair at the weekend. I'm male but I'm skinny so I don't have to worry about looking too ridiculous. I have to say I really like them! Never thought I would. And they're deceptively comfy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 coolgal52

Skinny jeans suit all shapes and sizes of women and look great with knee high boots, not so great on men though IMO!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I love skinny jeans, always wear them hardly ever wear any other type of jeans. Think the look great on most girls when paired with the right top, and think they look good on most slim guys too, but only a few can pull off the sprayed on look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live in skinny jeans. Really, really skinny jeans. They look grand on me though, I've thin legs and they made me look like I've some kinda arse anyway :P They can look good on bigger girls too though I think. Depends on your shape!

On men...BLEUGH!

I agree - skinny jeans suit everyone, you need to match the rest of your outfit to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What kind of tops should you wear with them though, assuming you're not tall and slender? I'm 5'5, a size 12 and hourglass shaped. I honestly can't think of any way that they'd suit me.

Have you ever tried them on? I used to be like you until my sisters bullied me into a pair... never looked back!

Honestly, they suit all shapes. Wear them with a loose / swingy top (all the rage these days!) and wedges. Google Image: skinny jeans for size 12 - I just did and there's heaps of ideas.
    Faith wrote: »
    What kind of tops should you wear with them though, assuming you're not tall and slender? I'm 5'5, a size 12 and hourglass shaped. I honestly can't think of any way that they'd suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Klaas

I prefer the straight jeans. Although i'm not fat, for some reason i feel ridiculous with skinny jeans so i don't prefer them. Skinny jeans suit better at slim women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Optically straight leg and high heels elongate you (all those hours of watching What not to Wear weren't completely wasted). :D That is why I much prefer straight leg to skinny jeans. I'm usually size 10/12 (currently pregnant elephant size) and have rather short, well regular, leg. I have a couple of pairs of skinnies at home but straight leg suit me much better.

I suppose it all depends on the girls shape. Skinny jeans can look great on the more curvy hourglass figures too. Think j-lo and kim k. Both have a hip measurement of around 40 which would be over a size 12. Even beyonce is quite big in the thighs and hips and she can rock the skinnies.

Skinnies don't look good with big bellies so if a girl is curvy around the middle a longer top would look better over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

On men - horrible.

On women - the clue is in the name. They only suit some people. And only ever with high heels/boots and a top that covers your crotch.

Skinny jeans and ballerina pumps are not a good look on anyone. Ever.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    On men - horrible.

On women - the clue is in the name. They only suit some people. And only ever with high heels/boots and a top that covers your crotch.

See I like them with ballerina pumps. They suit me and I can wear them with shorter or slim fitting tops. Tops cut off at the hip or baggy tops actually make me look fatter. It all depends on your size and shape.

See I like them with ballerina pumps. They suit me and I can wear them with shorter or slim fitting tops. Tops cut off at the hip or baggy tops actually make me look fatter. It all depends on your size and shape.

We'll agree to disagree, so! I'm not having a go at your personally but I have never seen anyone in skinnnies and flats where they didn't look like they had hips the size of Jupiter, and this includes my friend's annoyingly slim (size 6) younger sister. It just pulls people out of proportion, imo.

I've no issue with skinnies & slim fitting tops, if the wearer has the figure. They just need to be long enough to cover the crotch, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 extremphonixx

im male and i wear skinny jeans alwas. i started wearing them about 4 years ago and i though they look terrible on me at the time, but i wore them anyway. then i realised how comfordable they were and they looked good. now i coud never see myself wearing any other type of jeans, guys should give them a go, if after a few weeks they hate them well and good, but i can pretty much say, 2 weeks in skinnies and you will stay in skinnies

:confused:

:confused:

Yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

See I like them with ballerina pumps. They suit me and I can wear them with shorter or slim fitting tops. It all depends on your size and shape.

I agree, I often wear dark denim skinnies with a little white tshirt, navy blazer and ballet pumps. I'm quite petite and long or floaty tops totally swamp me
    I have never seen anyone in skinnnies and flats where they didn't look like they had hips the size of Jupiter. They just need to be long enough to cover the crotch, imo.

Dundrum on any given weekend -inundated with girls wearing skinnies and flats who couldn't look less like Jupiter! And I've never particularly noticed anybody's crotch region whilst they're wearing them either :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes?

I genuinely don't know what you mean about flats and skinnies making people's hips look large. I think it's a pleasing contrast myself. And if the jeans are well-fitting, the crotch area shouldn't need to be covered. That goes for any style of jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Honestly, they suit all shapes.

This is so wrong and imo the reason why they are so love/hate. Honestly they are not flattering for majority of girls, they either make your legs look stumpy or your hips and ass massive and especially if your wearing pumps :eek:.
    For lads its a NO, slim yes and you can go pretty dam slim but so there are so many hipsters wearing skin tight jeans and they look awful. I wonder do they use a mirror at all ?
    If they don't flatter you and be honest with yourself then don't wear them!

I genuinely don't know what you mean about flats and skinnies making people's hips look large. I think it's a pleasing contrast myself. And if the jeans are well-fitting, the crotch area shouldn't need to be covered. That goes for any style of jeans.

I agree, I like the whole small waist, curvy hips look so tend to wear clothes that highlight it. I'm told my hips, bum look great in skinnies and day to day I'd wear flats especially in summer. A lot of the tops I wear would be cut above the hip line as it's flattering for me. I'd wear with shrunken blazers with 3/4 sleeves. Obviously that look is not for everyone but it suits my body shape perfectly and would be a summer staple for me. In the winter I'd wear longer tops and cardis and a variety of looks suit me. It's a case of dressing for what suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I like boot cut jeans. With boots. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Male skinny jeans wearer here been in them 3 years now myself i am skinny with a 30 inch wast and 6ft tall so i can easily pull them off.

Wear boots with them all time or a pair of cons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deanlandon

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Male skinny jeans wearer here been in them 3 years now myself i am skinny with a 30 inch wast and 6ft tall so i can easily pull them off.

Wear boots with them all time or a pair of cons

Doesn't really matter if they are hipster style/tight then no matter how skinny you are they will still look awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I hate skinny jeans on men.

OP I remember last year you had a thread complaining about flared jeans and going on about how skinny jeans were the best, is this still bothering you If you have a particular style the only way to make it work is if you're comfortable in it yourself, you shouldn't be worrying about what other people are thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I pretty much only wear skinny jeans. They are so comfy and versatile. I wear them with all kinds of tops and shoes - ballet pumps in the summer, boots in the winter. My legs are quite long and I love the look of black skinnies and black ankle boots, it makes everything look longer and leaner!

On men though, I think the wearer needs to be quite tall and very slim to get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I think that the crotch issue is a mix up between jeggings and skinny jeans.

I think skinnys look great on girls of all sizes so long as the fit flatters. Low cut skinnys suit slim girls while a bit of a stretch in fabric and a higher waist suit the more curvaceous girl, which I am myself.

I do like skinnys and pumps personally. I am a curvy 12-14 and like a waist that sits along or above the line of my bellybutton. Every time I wear skinnys people compliment me, but I wouldn't wear jeggings or any other form of crotch exposing belly inducing imitations.

Advertisement