Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy and colonoscopy on Wednesday!

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got a call from the hospital this morning saying that there was a cancellation so Im being brought this Wednesday instead of next month! Ive had no time to work myself up for this so now Im scared! Anyone have any advice to help ease my nerves?? Can I go for a few pints tonight before doing the klean prep tomorrow??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

of course you can, nothing to be scared of, had it done a couple of years ago. you'll feel a bit messed up after it for a little while cos of the heavy tranquilisers but as its not an anesthetic its very very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

As far as the Endoscopy goes don't be a hero, take the drugs. I went oh natural and it was hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Andrew33 wrote: »
    of course you can, nothing to be scared of, had it done a couple of years ago. you'll feel a bit messed up after it for a little while cos of the heavy tranquilisers but as its not an anesthetic its very very safe.

My dad had one in feb.. No big deal ...well big deal but nothing to worry about ... If it's getting to you say it to yr doc/GP,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I think OP has well gone for pints at this stage hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Currently sitting in the pub, its to ease the nerves :D would it be common to get sick during the procedure?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unlikely to be sick, the klean prep realy does clean you out. Plan to be very near- I do mean very near a loo-preferably with easy open trousers,when it hits.
    I had both done and am not the greatest around this kind of stuff, but it was grand,as already said, take sedation or whatever they offer.

Oh believe me I will take anything I can get! Hope they find a vein easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Oh believe me I will take anything I can get! Hope they find a vein easy!
    Keep warm - you'll be dehydrated from all the kleen-prep and if you're too dehydrated they'll find it difficult to find the vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Without a shadow of a doubt by wed evening you will look back and say....that wasn't that bad at all.

I had both done earlier this year and it's the worry and fear that is worst of all, by the way I made a mistake of drinking lots of water the morning of the procedure thinking I'll keep myself from getting dehydrated. Big mistake ,they could not do procedure as I could have filled my lungs with water while sedated. I thought water was ok once you did not eat.

goodluck, and please post Thursday telling us how easy the whole thing is once you handle the nerves.

I just dissolved my first liter of Klean prep and have it left to chill with a big DO NOT DRINK sign in front of it, some chancer would see a jug of water on the fridge and think, yay cold water! Haha. How bad does it taste? I've to start drinking it in an hour, heard it's really salty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

I have had two colonoscopies, first was uncomfortable as i was not fully sedated. Second was fine, fully sedated, don't remember a thing. I have to say the Kleen Prep tasted like salty custard, but chilling it made it taste slightly better. That was the worst part of the whole experience for me.

Best of luck today and tomorrow. Hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I had this done 2 weeks ago...
    I had 2 sachets to drink, citrafleet (which was ok) and the Kleanprep which I found disgusting ( I added lime cordial)
    It really does clean you out.

The procedure itself wasnt that bad and i was a nervous wreck.
    I went in at 9:15 and was home at 12:15
    Endoscopy was not pleasant, they numbed my throat but I could still feel it, slightly uncomfortable feeling but the test only lasted a few mins.
    I was sedated but could feel and see/hear everything.

The colonoscopy was not that bad.
    The worst part for me was the constant blowing of air up my back passage..
    There was only one way to get rid of it so that was embarrassing but funny after a couple of minutes.
    I could see everything on the screen (I swore I wouldnt look but I did)
    and all went well, they found a small polyp , removed it and all is fine since.
    Looking back it was not that bad at all and I wouldnt have a problem getting it done again now that I know what to expect.
    I got uptight about nothing looking back now.

You will be fine, it will be over before you know it.
    Best of luck.

I just dissolved my first liter of Klean prep and have it left to chill with a big DO NOT DRINK sign in front of it, some chancer would see a jug of water on the fridge and think, yay cold water! Haha. How bad does it taste? I've to start drinking it in an hour, heard it's really salty!

You can add lime juice to soften the blow.....please make sure you are no more then 10 ft from a loo.

By the way, the one benefit you will get is your colon/digestive system will be completely clear. So it will be like a fresh start and you will feel a bit lighter on your feet for a day or two.

Oh my god its manky and Ive no cordial! How long until...effects begin?

Would orange mi wadi ok to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Yes Orange miwadi is fine just no blackcurrant / raspberry etc

Cool thanks! Is there a reason behind not being able to use black current or is it just what docs say?

I remember been told clear fluids clear view , you may feel ill from the prep- motillium is a life saver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

coloured drinks show up in your stomach and affect the image on the screen from the camera.
    Liquids need to be clear.

• Advertisement

So I shouldnt use orange mi wadi?

Orange is definately fine in both CUH , MWRH and GPC . My endo / colo are every 6 weeks at the moment or while in patient and the staff even mix them with dilute as its a test not additional torture

Okay I'll stick with the Mi wadi, it's making is somewhat bearable.. no effects as of yet... waiting for the fun to begin! I'm going to St John's in Limerick, I'm under Dr. Holloway but another doc is doing the procedure.. have to go out there as that is where my asthma doc is as I've been known to be funny under anesthetic. Hopefully won't be the same case under sedation! I think she said the drug they use is midazolam and from what I've read it;s very safe!

I am asthmatic as well under Dr Cronin - Is it Dr Coffey that is doing the endo - he is brillant . You will be grand , honestly the worst is all the prep , you just never get used to it . But remind yourself if you get through the prep the rest is for your health

I think it's Dr. Skelly that's doing it tomorrow, that's the name on the leaflet I got anyway! I can't wait for it to all be over, just to find out what the hell is going on with me!

Ah she is excellent - I have great time for her . You will be grand once its all over . Stay near the bathroom now after you have drank a few glasses , would not want an accident :) Take care of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Try not to over-think things - it could take an hour or two before things start to move. Just wear something easy to pull down/up & make sure you have enough toilet roll at hand.

I found it was better to gulp down as much as possible instead of taking smaller sips. Holding your nose might help when drinking.

Leave a newspaper/book/radio/ipod in bathroom. Bring mobile in with you, though at full steam you won't really want people to hear but at least you can text/surf while on throne.

Everything will be fine prep-wise - don't worry.

I have the house to myself until 9 tonight so it's not too bad, though the parents are used to me taking over the bathroom because of whatever the heck is wrong! I have the bathroom kitted out, bought expensive toilet paper, sudocrem in the fridge.. I'm ready for this! :D

To much information their :P

• Advertisement

Ah I'm sure ye've all been through the same :P

Advertisement