Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy and colonoscopy on Wednesday!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Drink loads of water to keep hydrated. Had these a few times and the worst part is drinking the awful stuff. Didnt feel a thing during it as was out for the count. Best thing was the cup of tea and toast afterwards :D. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Forget the sudocrem.
    I would recommend a layer of vaseline in said area...
    It saved me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well I'm never one to turn my nose up to a free cuppa, will look forward to that tomorrow! Normally when I'm fasting for something I go out of my mind with hunger, at least I'm drinking so much it will fill me up, I think! Thanks for the vaseline tip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Any news...................

Not yet! Is it normal to take this long?? I started at 3, almost a liter down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It took a good couple of hours for mine to start taking effect ... don't worry, you'll know when it does :D

Not yet! Is it normal to take this long?? I started at 3, almost a liter down!

Prob start around 6, but believe me it will start.

My cat is sitting on my lap at the moment, I've a feeling she may get a very rude removal later! Will I be up all night with it? Sorry for all the questions, never been through this before!

My cat is sitting on my lap at the moment, I've a feeling she may get a very rude removal later! Will I be up all night with it? Sorry for all the questions, never been through this before!

Funny enough no, When it does its job that's it. Should take about 4 hours from the start.

Oh well thats not too bad so! I've discovered mixing some 7up with the prep makes it taste slightly like an ice cream float (albeit a salty one!)

• Advertisement

In my case I was all emptied out by the time I went to bed, but I'd made sure I hadn't over-eaten the day before and had a good clear out in the morning too (sorry if that's too graphic!) Everyone will be different though I imagine.

There will be nothing at all left in your system, It's actually amazing the way it clears everything out. As I said earlier you could use this to kick start you digestive system because your starting from empty :)

Oh well thats not too bad so! I've discovered mixing some 7up with the prep makes it taste slightly like an ice cream float (albeit a salty one!)
    :D Yes, the stuff I had was already vanilla flavoured, so in combination with the MiWadi I mixed it with it ended up pretty vile.

Yeah this one is vanilla too, its still not nice but its better with the 7up in it rather than without! I kept retching trying to drink the first glass!

Starting to feel nausiated and uncomfortable :( nice warm cat on my belly is better than a hot water bottle :)

Oh dear Jesus we have lift off.. prob wont be posting much for the rest of the night!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hope the clear out is all over and done. Besrt of luck with the scopes.

I know it's hard but try chill out and relax....

Post here tomorrow night telling us how it's nothing to get to worried about, best of luck

Finding it very hard to drink, only have done a liter and a half so far and I keep almost getting sick every time I take a mouthful... ugh! But once this is the worst part I'll be laughing tomorrow! Thanks a million everyone for the support and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone ever tasted Picolax? Have a colonscopy next week and just reading this thread I'm dreading taking it.

• Advertisement

FRom what Ive read online picolax is meant to be a lot easier to take! Lucky you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ive had no time to work myself up for this so now Im scared! Anyone have any advice to help ease my nerves??

I usually stay well clear of medical forums/threads here, because when you work at it 24/7 it's nice to get away from talking shop ect. Anyway, nothing to worry about OP, if you're having an Gastro + Colonoscopy you will be cannulated (intravenous access via a vein) and given IV sedation. You will also have IV meds to relax your abdominal region. You will be finished before you even know it. No driving for 24 hours post exam, no big meals afterwards, keep them small and light. A small amount of air is used during a colonoscopy. This air will pass naturally from your system and if you feel the urge to 'fart' post exam then do.

A lot of female patients tend to not 'let it all out' so to speak. So this can cause a lot of discomfort for them, because they are essentially preventing the air from leaving their system. Big meals can also trap this air, thus creating air pockets which also = discomfort. Fortunately a lot of air passes when you are sedated and in the recovery room. Golden rule - no big meals until the day after. Soup & sandwiches ect will be fine a couple of hours post exam. Plenty of fluids to rehydrate and let the air out, don't hold anything in so to speak.

I usually stay well clear of medical forums/threads here, because when you work at it 24/7 it's nice to get away from talking shop ect. Anyway, nothing to worry about OP, if you're having an Gastro + Colonoscopy you will be cannulated (intravenous access via a vein) and given IV sedation. You will also have IV meds to relax your abdominal region. You will be finished before you even know it. No driving for 24 hours post exam, no big meals afterwards, keep them small and light. A small amount of air is used during a colonoscopy. This air will pass naturally from your system and if you feel the urge to 'fart' post exam then do.

A lot of female patients tend to not 'let it all out' so to speak. So this can cause a lot of discomfort for them, because they are essentially preventing the air from leaving their system. Big meals can also trap this air, thus creating air pockets which also = discomfort. Fortunately a lot of air passes when you are sedated and in the recovery room. Golden rule - no big meals until the day after. Soup & sandwiches ect will be fine a couple of hours post exam. Plenty of fluids to rehydrate and let the air out, don't hold anything in so to speak.

Thanks a million for all that, great to know what I'm facing into tomorrow. To be honest, the thing worrying me the most is the fact I've had a bad reaction to anesthetic before, now I know sedative isn't the same, but I'm just so paranoid! I'm sure the nurses in recovery are well used to hearing people let rip post scope, and I've no shame, so that shouldn't be a problem :D (I'm so ladylike :P) I'll make sure to pick up some soups on the way home too.. well get my responsible adult to! :) How long does it take to get over it? I presume I'll be a bit sore and that on thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have only ever had endoscopies in the past and I got sedated for it - groggy for the rest of the day but worth it. Hubby has had both, wil ask him to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Anyone ever tasted Picolax? Have a colonscopy next week and just reading this thread I'm dreading taking it.

I took Picolax & Kleenprep last month for a Barium enema test and the Picolax was grand, quite pleasant taste, now the Kleenprep on the other hand:(!

The Barium enema wasn't the most pleasant thing either but worth it for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've to get a colonoscopy done every year (my insides are a mess from Crohns and more surgery than I care to think about). I find the picolax a lot more palatable than the Kleenprep- though both do their jobs. Either of them take less than a hour to work their job on me (I've very little intestine), so I don't need to take them until much later. One thing- avoid alcohol for a day or two at all costs- its pure acid when it comes out the other end- and the kleenprep doesn't stop working immediately- it hangs around for a few days before things quieten down.

A big issue for me- is the ability to drive- and if you have the sedative- you're not allowed drive for 24 hours (they confiscated my keys off me in St. Vincents, in case I was tempted to drive, and I had to get a taxi back the following day to collect my car).

I've had more colonoscopies than I can remember- probably at least 15, possibly 20. I'm passed being embarrassed by them- its just another medical procedure, and a nice fast one that you're in hospital and out immediately- which is great. Also- you tend to get seen pretty quickly- as its not in their interests to have you hanging around longer than absolutely necessary. The consultant would normally have a list of colonoscopies lined up- and its really quite an assembly line- you're lying waiting for the sedative to wear off (probably fast asleap) for longer than anything else- but you certainly appreciate the buttered toast and tea afterwards!

Best of good luck tomorrow- I hope you find it easy going, and don't get stressed out over it.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Picolax or Moviprep is the way to go :D Kleenprep is just so hard! But at least Picolax is one drink at 8am, next at 1pm. Not so bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Had Picolax each time I had colonoscopy. Didn't find it too bad to take but was starving hungry the morning of the colonoscopy. Good to bring a book in case you have to wait around for your turn. Worst part is the day before - the colonoscopy itself was a breeze so don't be worrying. You're not supposed to operate machinery for 24 hours - that includes cooking so it has an upside :D

ChewChew wrote: »
    Picolax or Moviprep is the way to go :D Kleenprep is just so hard! But at least Picolax is one drink at 8am, next at 1pm. Not so bad! :D
    I've only experienced Kleenprep, but I'm wondering why there are all these alternatives that seem to do essentially the same thing. Is it just that certain hospitals, or certain consultants prefer one over the other for some reason or the other, and if so, what are the pros and cons of each from a medical point of view?

• Advertisement

I've just started completely fasting now, needless to say I didn't manage all of the Klean prep but I got 3 and a half liters.. I had to stop, I physically couldn't swallow! My movements are fully liquid, see through, but it's yellow... is that normal? Should it be clear like water??

Advertisement