Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy and colonoscopy on Wednesday!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

As far as I remember mine was yellow aswell.
    Best of luck today, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How long does it take to get over it? I presume I'll be a bit sore and that on thursday?

It will take 24 hours to clear fully process the sedation from your system. From a soreness point of view you should be o.k, once you deal with the air pocket issue that I mentioned in my previous post. The clean prep process can exhaust some people and it can take a couple of days before they feel 100% again. On the other hand, you might feel 100% the next day. It really is an individual thing.

But be sure to strictly obey the nurses advice on sedation. For example, if you felt great the following day and drove your own car say 20 hours post exam. You will not be covered if you have an accident. An insurer will take the view, that you knowingly operated a motorised vehicle while under the influence of a drug. Basically they will treat it like you were drunk driving. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

As you say above it's a individual thing, I felt fine within a couple of hours and only had 1 bout of the air issue.
    Funny enough I wasn't that hungry after the procedure but was quiet tired. The one thing I would advise if possible is to have someone there with you when they tell you how it went or if they need to send a sample away to be looked at, I was kind of groggy and didn't really take it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well Im just out now in recovery, sedation didnt sedate me at all so I was awake for the whole thing, sore throat and belly now but it wasnt so bad. And while I didnt fall asleep for the scopes, I concked for my ultrasound. Doctor hasnt been back to see me yet so I dont know if anything showed up but they took a few biopsys. Ultrasound was all clear anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

thats great news.
    It was the same for me sedation didnt work.
    My ultrasound came back clear but they found a small polyp near my colon (I think)
    Glad its over and went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Glad things went well with the procedures. Did you have the tea and toast yet?

Oh tea and toast was like.something out of heaven! The doc said everything looked great, no inflammation or anything like that so the biopsies will be back in q few weeks and if they show nothing then its just ibs. Im glad there was nothing serious but I wish they had found a cause for my pain!

Oh tea and toast was like.something out of heaven! The doc said everything looked great, no inflammation or anything like that so the biopsies will be back in q few weeks and if they show nothing then its just ibs. Im glad there was nothing serious but I wish they had found a cause for my pain!

Tell me about it, My test showed up clear but still have ongoing pain, I find prune juice brilliant for cleaning you out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With the sedation- they normally talk to you as they're giving it to you, and judge the amount based on how rational (or weird) your answers get........ I asked before and was told that there is a guide based on a person's weight- but that judging their coherence from talking to them was more accurate?

Glad its all over- and that you enjoyed your tea and toast!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Alun wrote: »
    I've only experienced Kleenprep, but I'm wondering why there are all these alternatives that seem to do essentially the same thing. Is it just that certain hospitals, or certain consultants prefer one over the other for some reason or the other, and if so, what are the pros and cons of each from a medical point of view?
    It's generally the consultants and their preference. Reason there are a few choices is that there are just new products on the market and I suppose it depends on whether the reps sells it well enough to the consultant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well the Picolax tasted fine and did its job pretty effectively, its never going to be a fun experience mind you. Been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which is a bit of a relief given all that things that were rushing around my head.

Well the Picolax tasted fine and did its job pretty effectively, its never going to be a fun experience mind you. Been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which is a bit of a relief given all that things that were rushing around my head.

I think I'll ask for picolax if I ever need one done again! Glad you got a diagnosis, it's awful not knowing! Still waiting on mine unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I think I'll ask for picolax if I ever need one done again! Glad you got a diagnosis, it's awful not knowing! Still waiting on mine unfortunately!

Great thread! Starting my prep in the morn - not looking forward to it but good to get some tips

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had mine last week - I was given picolax and a strict 3 day fluid only diet (including day of procedure well actually nothing on the day by mouth at all - until its over) - which sounds like an ordeal but tbh it made the whole laxative day a lot less nasty - I would reccommend this approach as I've heard that other laxative is awful - I too was really stressed about the procedure gastro and colonoscopy - and I woke up during the colonoscopy and found it pretty painful but yelled, grinned and beared it! Probably woke because it was a longish procedure 2 polyps removed saw them being taken - yuck - couldn't look away! Received a most delicious scone and tea afterwards.

• I'm going for one of these in a couple of months and I was wondering how long you have to do the 'prep' for? How many days would I need off work? It's on a Friday at midday, so any idea when I'd need to start taking the stuff to clean me out? I've only just been referred so haven't received any info at all about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I'm going for one of these in a couple of months and I was wondering how long you have to do the 'prep' for? How many days would I need off work? It's on a Friday at midday, so any idea when I'd need to start taking the stuff to clean me out? I've only just been referred so haven't received any info at all about it yet.

Its basically a 24 hour procedure from start of klean prep to doing the procedure. Say you need to start at 12 noon for Klean prep the day should go something as follows.

Day starts with light breakfast. Clear drinks Only after this point.
    Take Motillum at 12
    Start mixing first sachet of Klean prep in 1 litre of water. Start drinking A Glass (250ml) every 10 minutes. Mix up next sachet of Klean Prep.
    Move closely to Bathroom :)
    The first effects will be felt about midway through second litre :)
    From here on make sure your sitting on toilet ...
    Continue drinking until all 4 Litres are finished.
    Complete clearing takes about another hour depending on the person.

After this just clear fluids until midnight and nothing else after. Funny enough you wont feel hungry.

Go to hospital and be sure to have a driver with you. Chances are procedure wont go ahead if you dont have a driver with you.
    After procedure drink the most satisfing cup of tea and slice of toast you will ever have :)
    When at home drink more and expect to feel cold and tired .... Get a good nights sleep ... you will feel so much better the following day. :)

• Altreab wrote: »
    Its basically a 24 hour procedure from start of klean prep to doing the procedure. Say you need to start at 12 noon for Klean prep the day should go something as follows.

Day starts with light breakfast. Clear drinks Only after this point.
    Take Motillum at 12
    Start mixing first sachet of Klean prep in 1 litre of water. Start drinking A Glass (250ml) every 10 minutes. Mix up next sachet of Klean Prep.
    Move closely to Bathroom :)
    The first effects will be felt about midway through second litre :)
    From here on make sure your sitting on toilet ...
    Continue drinking until all 4 Litres are finished.
    Complete clearing takes about another hour depending on the person.

After this just clear fluids until midnight and nothing else after. Funny enough you wont feel hungry.

Go to hospital and be sure to have a driver with you. Chances are procedure wont go ahead if you dont have a driver with you.
    After procedure drink the most satisfing cup of tea and slice of toast you will ever have :)
    When at home drink more and expect to feel cold and tired .... Get a good nights sleep ... you will feel so much better the following day. :)

Thanks for the info!
    I wouldn't be driving as it's in Central London. I'll be walking or taking the Tube depending on where I stay. Would I still need to have someone with me? I'm hoping my boyfriend will be able to get off work but not 100% sure yet.

Also, am I likely to have bowel/poo issues after the procedure? Would I be able to have the tea and toast at a cafe or is that just a bad idea? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could potentially still feel a little woozy after the sedative, so it'd be a good idea to have someone with you especially if you're going to be negotiating the Tube etc. during a busy rush hour on a Friday afternoon, I'd say.

The tea and toast Altreab referred to is usually served up in the hospital, at least here in Ireland it is. I can't say what might happen in the NHS though.

Regarding bowel issues after the procedure, I had no problems although it took a day or so before things got back to normality. You will be completely cleared out with the Kleanprep or whatever they use, so it takes a day or so for things to work their way through as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Definitely take the Thursday off to do the prep. And someone should collect you and stay overnight as they say you should not be on your own the night after just in case you get any ill effects. Also they say not to drive or use machinery including a cooker :D following the procedure. I've had several in the past few years with no problems at all following. Good idea to eat lightly the day after too I think. Worst thing about it for me was taking the stuff and having to drink so much water.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I'm going for one of these in a couple of months and I was wondering how long you have to do the 'prep' for? How many days would I need off work? It's on a Friday at midday, so any idea when I'd need to start taking the stuff to clean me out? I've only just been referred so haven't received any info at all about it yet.

Hi There
    I ve gotten these tests every 2 years next one due in Feb
    From experince of the last one the hospital told me to take 2 satchets of picolax on the afternoon before the procedure you take one at say 2pm and anther one at 8 that evening
    So i didnt take the previous day off work as it was managable enough Had the procedure done about 12pm the next day got the sedation so everything ok when you wake up they give you tea and toast But you will need someone to collect you from the hospital after the test another reason to have somone to collect is when the doc comes around to give you the initial results is the person with you will remember what he said as you will still have effects of the sedation drug and might not rememer what doc said
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

I'm having a Colonoscopy at 7.30 tomorrow morning in The Hermitage Clinic. A routine follow up/precautionary test following Gall Bladder surgery last year.
    Almost all of what I had read on the net up to now has been negative. People putting the fear of God into the reader!
    Trust Boards to bring out the up front honesty I was looking for :D
    My prep is called MoviPrep, far more palatable than I was led to believe. Consistency is slightly thicker than water, akin to coconut water or thick juice from tinned fruit.
    MoviPrep can be mixed with more than just water. I chose 7up Free and it tasted fine, a tad salty but nothing like the tales I've read of people throwing up. I had to drink the 2 litres over 2 hours from 1pm. Hard Work. Horrible feeling of fullness for a bout 2 hours but am fine now. Drank it in 2 & a half hrs. I now sit and drink clear juices or can even have a coffee til midnight/bedtime.
    Hopefully I can come back on here tomorrow to say it all went grand :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Poutbutton wrote: »
    I'm having a Colonoscopy at 7.30 tomorrow morning in The Hermitage Clinic. A routine follow up/precautionary test following Gall Bladder surgery last year.
    Almost all of what I had read on the net up to now has been negative. People putting the fear of God into the reader!
    Trust Boards to bring out the up front honesty I was looking for :D
    My prep is called MoviPrep, far more palatable than I was led to believe. Consistency is slightly thicker than water, akin to coconut water or thick juice from tinned fruit.
    MoviPrep can be mixed with more than just water. I chose 7up Free and it tasted fine, a tad salty but nothing like the tales I've read of people throwing up. I had to drink the 2 litres over 2 hours from 1pm. Hard Work. Horrible feeling of fullness for a bout 2 hours but am fine now. Drank it in 2 & a half hrs. I now sit and drink clear juices or can even have a coffee til midnight/bedtime.
    Hopefully I can come back on here tomorrow to say it all went grand :eek:

I had a colonoscopy today in Vincents. Have to say, the preparation worse the worst bit I had Kleanprep and while it wasn't the nicest thing every it wasn't too bad. Went in at 7.30 and home by 11.30. I can remember the whole thing, was slightly painful, but not too bad at all. Was absolutely fine after and went into college and just home from playing football. Don't worry about it at all.

Thanks but I hope I am totally knocked out! I don't "do" pain LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Poutbutton wrote: »
    Thanks but I hope I am totally knocked out! I don't "do" pain LoL

Most people are, my mum & dad both have had them and don't remember anything. Pain was probably a bad choice of word, discomfort would be better.

Well it's over. Took 15-20 minutes. The sedation, while possibly relaxes your muscles had no effect on me. I expected to conk out & so did the nurse but I was wide awake and aware of everything throughout. Staff were fantastic but I did feel pain for about 90 seconds and then it was over. Overall, not as bad a procedure as you would imagine. I slept when I got home, was very dopey afterwards but probably could have walked out and got a taxi but they insist on you being collected. Happy it's over & done with now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I had endoscopy last week. It took less than 5 minutes, I didn't take the sedative. They keep an eye on you for an hour afterwards.

I had endoscopy last week. It took less than 5 minutes, I didn't take the sedative. They keep an eye on you for an hour afterwards.

Wow..Thats brave, I had one last year and aked the nurse if everyone gets the meds, She said 90% take them including me.

She said they prefer if you dont take them as they dont have to monitor you as much afterwards.

• Just a quick question.

I went in for my assessment and I'm not having a colonoscopy anymore. They said I'm having a bendy camera in the lower part of my bowel (or something?) and that I'll have an enema. No Kleenprep required and no mention of sedation. What is this procedure? The clinic was running 2 hours late so I was rushed in and out and didn't really get to ask questions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lower bowel scope. Often used where there might be a suspicion of colitis, rather than Crohn's, or if there is a specific complaint that they feel warrants the investigation. Its pretty minor in nature, and very fast. You really need to ask your consultant any questions you have though- there is little point in any of us here speculating.......

• Advertisement

• smccarrick wrote: »
    Lower bowel scope. Often used where there might be a suspicion of colitis, rather than Crohn's, or if there is a specific complaint that they feel warrants the investigation. Its pretty minor in nature, and very fast. You really need to ask your consultant any questions you have though- there is little point in any of us here speculating.......

OK, wasn't sure if it had a specific name. Was told it WASN'T a colonoscopy, which I'd thought it would be, but no more than that. I was told no prep required, just an enema on the day, so can I assume no sedation? I have been trying to get through to the consultant, but no luck so far.

Advertisement