Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOADING ISSUES

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey all!
    im in a bit of a situation at the moment, my horse is refusing to load! :(

a couple of months back she had a bit of an incident; she was being backed out of the box(not by myself) and was not untied properly, and got a fright and ran of the box breaking her head collar! ever since then she is nervous to go near the box!...i have so far (after 2 months) used carrotts to coax her and have got all four feet on the box, but the last day when we closed the door with her on it she began to panic when it was closed and started rubbing off the sides of the box!....i dont no how to solve this issue without making it worse....especially coming into the hunting season!...she never had a problem loading before this so i understand why it happened!!...does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions on how i could solve this....i hate seeing her so nervous!! :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Ugh loading issues are the worst, I feel for you!! Are you loading her with or without dividers? a couple of friends have had horses with problems loading and they found having dividers out, and the front ramp down makes it look much more airy and inviting. I would say this is a bit of a last resort, its obviously much more practical to have your horse travel with others but if you're getting nowhere it might be worth a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 plcgirl

hey! thanks for the advice!....well out box only fits one horse so there are no dividers!!...and its quite an old style box so there isnt a front ramp! :(...her main root problem seem to be backing off the box when shes up, she panic and rushes down it after the door has been opened!..thats why she wont go up in the first place!! ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

There is an episode of Monty Roberts working with a horse called Lizzie who was a demon to load - see if you can find it on the internet - took him about 15mins & by then she was pretty much loading herself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Patience is the key, give her lots of time and praise any forward movement. Even if you have to spread it over two days to get her comfortable. Wear a hat too and take all safety precautions.

Advertisement