Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance & Moving Abroad

• 15-10-2012 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Looking for help on this one. I'm moving to the UK in March with my daughter and new baby (due in Feb.) for 5 to 7 years. My husband is working and living there at the moment and is insured through through work with Bupa so I've taken him off our family health insurance policy. My daughter and I are insured with VHI at the moment and when I move I only have one option if I don't want to break my cover, that's to purchase a VHI global policy, the cost of which is enormous.
    I know that if I move to a UK insurance company there will be a waiting period before we'll be covered fully and any pre existing conditions will not be recognised for a number of years. My problem is when we move back to Ireland insurance companies here won't recognise that I've retained cover abroad (Aviva Ireland won't even recognise Aviva UK cover!). I'll never have had a period where we won't be insured and yet once again, I go back to the start as if I never had health insurance at all. It's infuriating.
    So my questions are: has anyone else come across this kind of a situation and if so is a way around it and to not have a break in my cover? Or is there anything else I can do?
    I'd be greatful for any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Do you need PHI in the UK? The NHS is pretty good. Only ~12% have PHI. Put the money saved in a bank account to pay for any pre-existing health issues when you return to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am in a similar ish situation. Didnt want to break my cover, so I didnt. I'm continuing to pay my VHI policy and my employer pays for health insurance in my new country as well. 900 euro is a lot to fork out, but I couldnt see anyway around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mum2be

Mucco, that's a valid point and I know the system is much better in the UK than it is here but I'm no spring chicken and in 10 years time I'll be mid to late forties (yikes!) and I'm afraid that that's when I'll need cover the most and I want to be covered for any eventuallity.

fits, I'll look into the cost of reducing the cover for myself and the children and retaining that while we're away and just using the NHS in the UK while we're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

mum2be wrote: »
    I know that if I move to a UK insurance company there will be a waiting period before we'll be covered fully and any pre existing conditions will not be recognised for a number of years.

My knowledge is a few years old, but I don't think UK health insurers work like that. As far as I know, pre existing conditions aren't covered at all, but most other things are covered from joining.

It might have changed since, but in case you haven't done so already, check this before taking out a UK policy.

As for your main question, given that you're talking of being away for 5 years or more, it's a hard one to answer. Assuming that your plans don't change, the health system could be completely different by then.

Also bear in mind, that even if you maintain cover at a basic level, you could still have upgrade waiting periods if you return and move back to your previous level of cover (assuming it's still available and waiting periods haven't changed when you get back).

Given the timeframes, I'd suggest just cancelling your Irish health insurance, and dealing with it whenever you return. Mucco's suggestion of a savings account is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

I have the same issue as OP from 2012. Moving abroad for at least a few years, and concerned that if I let my VHI lapse then it will be costly to obtain a new policy.

I assume the easiest option is just to keep paying my annual subscription.

• Advertisement
Advertisement