Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Controls on Router

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have BB from Vodafone and have a wireless modem/router. I have 2 pc's in the house that have k9 parental control on them. My son has just got an android fone and is accessing the internet over the fone at night. Can anyone direct me to a router/device that I can use to put time controls etc by device. I want his internet access to be automatically be cut off at 9:00 pm. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Any router which supports DD-WRT or Tomato firmware will do this for you:

5AN0N.jpg
    (Tomato screen shot)

If you want to protect all devices on your network efficiently, OpenDNS is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

If you want proper control just get a timer plug that goes off at 9pm and back on at 8am and plug it into your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

mad turnip wrote: »
    If you want proper control just get a timer plug that goes off at 9pm and back on at 8am and plug it into your router.

If only it were that simple. I would use the internet a lot in the evenings after 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

OP, what make/model modem do you have already?

Torqay wrote: »
    Any router which supports DD-WRT or Tomato firmware will do this for you:

5AN0N.jpg
    (Tomato screen shot)

If you want to protect all devices on your network efficiently, OpenDNS is your friend.

This looks like exactly what I am looking for. Excellent steer, thanks.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »

I have the standard vodafone home modem/router, not sure if it is Bewan or Huawei, I will check later this evening.

Thanks.

BlueSpud wrote: »
    This looks like exactly what I am looking for. Excellent steer, thanks.

Look into DD-WRT. Tomato only supports Linksys WRT-54g up to v4 and they are very hard to come by these days, the few on Adverts are all newer models (and cr@p, thanks to Cisco) and there are only 3 on ebay. Nobody in their right would be selling a v4. ;)

DD-WRT supports a great variety of modern routers, has more options but is not as user-friendly.

roast wrote: »

It is a Bewan, model ARV4510PW-A VFI

BlueSpud wrote: »
    It is a Bewan, model ARV4510PW-A VFI

You'll need an additional WLAN router and install the DD-WRT firmware (list of supported models here), then disable WLAN on the Vodafone router.

How to configure access restrictions with DD-WRT.

B8nkM.jpg

Advertisement