Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse vet in Clare or Limerick

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good horse vet in south Clare or Limerick? Looking for someplace to do my nursing placement, preferably somewhere with an xray and nurses! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

bump, please anyone? Getting desperate at this stage. I have to send a cv to one vets but if they say no I don't know who to fall back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If you google Equine Vet Panel Clare/Limerick you should get a few names to try.

There's a few listed here:
    http://www.irishhorse.com/sport-horse-sales/vetting-panel/

Or look under Munster on this:
    http://dublinhorseshow.ie/media/RDSVeterinaryPanel20111.pdf

Yeah I googled it and that, I just thought it would be good to get peoples opinions on any vets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Derek Long was the vet used in the school I used ride - did all the vettings for buyers, etc. He's based in Rathkeale in Limerick, which is on the way to Newcastlewest. Not sure if that's too far out but I'd highly recommend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hassett's in Newmarket-on-Fergus are mostly equine with some SA, I heard?

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Hassett's in Newmarket-on-Fergus are mostly equine with some SA, I heard?

They won't take students unfortunately :( would be so handy for me as it's only 10 minutes away,

Ah nuts. :(

Just a thought: A few people on my course have done some work experience at the Donkey Sanctuary, in north Cork. Now I know it's not horses/ponies, but they have the most amazing facilities. They have their own lab and they have a state-of-the-art operating theatre. Any of the students who went got to see and do a lot. I think they have two full-time vets and at least one vet nurse, as well. It's a gorgeous place, if you haven't been.

You could go down for a week. There is really nice dog-friendly B&B close by (going there next week with the dogs for Halloween night) and her rates are really reasonable, probably if you are staying the week, no more than €25 a night.

Have a think anyways! You'd need a car, though. That's the only thing.

boomerang wrote: »
    Just a thought: A few people on my course have done some work experience at the Donkey Sanctuary, in north Cork. Now I know it's not horses/ponies, but they have the most amazing facilities. They have their own lab and they have a state-of-the-art operating theatre. Any of the students who went got to see and do a lot. I think they have two full-time vets and at least one vet nurse, as well. It's a gorgeous place, if you haven't been.

You could go down for a week. There is really nice dog-friendly B&B close by (going there next week with the dogs for Halloween night) and her rates are really reasonable, probably if you are staying the week, no more than €25 a night.

Have a think anyways! You'd need a car, though. That's the only thing.

Unfortunately I don't have a car, and I'll be doing at least 2 months on placement so I doubt b&b would be practical. But thanks a mil for the suggestion :)

Advertisement