Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council building footpath through front garden

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, please move if it is. :)

Basically the council are building a new footpath up towards and a few yards past my mums house. So far they've dug up the front gardens off the three houses that are before hers and the two houses directly before hers already had their boundary walls built well in so the council wont be digging up their gardens.

But mums garden and the next door neighbours garden goes out as far as the road. She got home from work today to find big yellow marks on the couple trees just outside the house. Now through out all the construction no one has come to mum or the next door neighbour to so much as let them know what's going on. In fact mam only found out what they were digging for from the lady in the post office.

She's so worried that she's going to get home from work to find half the garden gone, which will leave her stepping out the front door directly onto the 'footpath'...which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't live on the main road in the once countryside.

Am i right in thinking that they do not have a right to just chop off half your garden without your permission, surely they have to consult the property owner before starting any works. Even to mark out what they want to cut down before asking is pure cheek imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

If it's actually her property they'd have started a compulsory purchase on it. She'll need get out her deeds or get on to the land registry. We have a couple of meters at the end of our garden, after our fence but before the road, that we keep tended and planted but it's not actually ours. We lost about a meter along the whole stretch when the council widened the road back in the 90s.
    Nothing we could do because it's not actually included on our deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

If it's actually her property they'd have started a compulsory purchase on it. She'll need get out her deeds or get on to the land registry. We have a couple of meters at the end of our garden, after our fence but before the road, that we keep tended and planted but it's not actually ours. We lost about a meter along the whole stretch when the council widened the road back in the 90s.
    Nothing we could do because it's not actually included on our deeds.

No this is her property, it's on the deeds, she has a hedge boundary on it and all, she has maybe one ft of grass verge on the outside of the hedge she keeps tended.

Are you certain on that? You've gotten the tape measure and measure out the site?
    If you have, and you're still certain, you'll have to get in contact with the Council and tell them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

Are you certain on that? You've gotten the tape measure and measure out the site?
    If you have, and you're still certain, you'll have to get in contact with the Council and tell them as much.

Oh they're certain on that, they measured out the garden a few years ago just out of curiosity. I know they can use the compulsary purchase thing but they have not made any contact with regards to any part of this construction work at all. Mam says her and dad are going out to them in the morning when they turn up and finding out what exactly they intend to do, i've told her to stand their ground and not let them blag them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

talullah wrote: »
    Oh they're certain on that, they measured out the garden a few years ago just out of curiosity. I know they can use the compulsary purchase thing but they have not made any contact with regards to any part of this construction work at all. Mam says her and dad are going out to them in the morning when they turn up and finding out what exactly they intend to do, i've told her to stand their ground and not let them blag them off.

if you have not been contacted.....then there must be a mistake, on the councils, or contractors part...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I wonder will your mother end up in jail for protesting and preventing work,like the lady that the had the power lines and pylons constructed on her land,without her permission.

She ended up in jail for protesting and protecting her land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wonder will your mother end up in jail for protesting and preventing work,like the lady that the had the power lines and pylons constructed on her land,without her permission.

what was the outcome of that sceneario..does anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Which council? Galway are dire this way

paddy147 wrote: »

They didn't need her permission in that case. They did the paperwork and filing, so it's apples and oranges.

Advertisement