Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on groceries?

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Me Tilty

Mainly only go to M&S as the quality is superior. Monthly food bill for myself would be around 900 per month including wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Back when i lived in ireland, the mrs and I lived on about 50 a week for food shopping, now that we are living out in the middle east, we are averaging a little more, but that also includes nappies now and meat out here is quite expensive as we do not eat the local meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

I have started to shop in Aldi lately and I am saving about 30 euros a week for three of us over Dunnes. The only thing I dont buy in there is bread, red meat and baby formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Great thread. I spend less than €50 incuding all toiletries etc. We are a family of three. I cook from scratch, and hubbie takes a packed lunch. We eat really really well.

I get everything I can at Aldi first. Used to travel to a Lidl and loved it, but since Aldi opened nice new store near us I have discovered Aldi is in fact cheapest.

Good advice is to try everything once in Aldi/Lidl to see if you are happy to switch.

I still travel to Lidl for the toilet roll and Kitchen paper. If they are on offer in Lidl I will stock up. Kitchen paper was 18% off on Saturday and i made sure dropped into a Lidl on Saturday to pick up 6 packs. Bonus that i have a big shed.

It is total nonsense that Aldi/Lidl veg is substandard. There is no doubt that their fruit/veg offer is superior to both Dunnes and Tesco. I don't have a nearby farmers market to compare to, but i do grow my own so I know a bit about veg. The trick is to learn to store it correctly and use it. Some things just last longer than others.

I only go to Dunnes/Tesco to buy some items that i prefer the branded version. i.e. Splenda sweetner is my sweetner of choice. It's on offer in Dunnes at the moment from €5.25 to €3. I stocked up!!

I alway check the RTC's first and use coupons when i can.

I don't meal plan as such, but i do certain 'follow on' dishes to make sure I use things up. e.g. A Sunday roast chicken is always followed on the Tuesday by Chicken pie using leftover chicken, I make extra gravy on Sunday to keep and add to the sauce for the pie. I make my own pastry in 2 mins in the food processor, and always make double and freeze half for the next pie.

I could waffle on for an age. It is such a great feeling to shop and cook wisely. I have a feeling the op is a young person, you would do well in life to learn these skills, teach your self to cook, and your life, and the lives of those around you will be enriched.

Advertisement