Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland - 16/10/2012 - 19:00 - RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

cgpg5 wrote: »
    NUTS

Betfair Sports ‏@BetfairSports
    JUST SPOTTED - £126 traded on the DRAW at 999/1!!! Still 4-3 to Germany..

wow, that is some win..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

If we beat Sweden in our next game this is all irrelevant. Even if we draw... Shame is though that it's highly unlikely either will happen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

A few punters with a few grand sitting around and looking to make a couple of quid while risking thousands. I feel no sympathy for anyone losing that kind of money in those circumstances.

I do, they are obviously very skilled at their punting if they are able to build up a bankroll whereby they can lay to risk 6 figures. If it wasn't for the professional layers on Betfair then we would have no exchanges, and no value in the market as the bookies would have no competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Gbear wrote: »
    Different games are different.

And Sweden are a better team than us.
    And specifically, they have Ibrahimovic.

Yeah, whatever.

That result was achieved by a team made up of players from clubs like Celtic, Blackburn, West Brom, Fulham, Sunderland and La Galaxy. Sound familiar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we beat Sweden in our next game this is all irrelevant. Even if we draw... Shame is though that it's highly unlikely either will happen :(

Honestly, I'd say a draw is the most likely result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Prime time: f*cking ridiculous asking the man who wants the Ireland job his opinion of the manager's position after the game tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Generally people backing them 1000 shots for large stakes are only doing so in the hope that they can trade out at a lower price. Still though, i'm sure he made a packet. Alas with betfair, there's 2 sides to every coin, it's not a greedy bookie corporation paying out a fortune but a punter like you and me

and just because that amount was matched doesnt mean some 1 guy bet the whole amount. could have been 20 people and yeah they probably laid it off again.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I'd doubt it in Stockholm. We'll beat Austria at home though. 3 points might not be a travesty, but we probably need something in Stockholm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Ardent wrote: »
    Prime time: f*cking ridiculous asking the man who wants the Ireland job his opinion of the manager's position after the game tonight.

Were they interviewing Stan? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

adamski8 wrote: »
    and just because that amount was matched doesnt mean some 1 guy bet the whole amount. could have been 20 people and yeah they probably laid it off again.

Sorry I read it as one guy alone. Yeah you're probably right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

No, a loss is the most likely result. We will be doing well to pick up points from Austria let alone Sweden. Finishing 4th in the group is the most likely. Some bad results could see us finish 5th.

I'm not trying to be negative but there is no point in having any expectations for this team, we simply aren't good enough.

Saying that, I really hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lumbo wrote: »
    Were they interviewing Stan? :eek:

Brian Kerr was on throwing out his chat up lines to Miriam :)

roryc wrote: »
    No, a loss is the most likely result. We will be doing well to pick up points from Austria let alone Sweden. Finishing 4th in the group is the most likely. Some bad results could see us finish 5th.

I'm not trying to be negative but there is no point in having any expectations for this team, we simply aren't good enough.

Saying that, I really hope I'm wrong.

We may well be bouncing back from a loss when we play Austria. We could even have a new manager. A lot will change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Germany WTF....I haven't seen a collapse like that since Del Boy Trotter fell through the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

why was primetime sticking their nose into football? they can barely cover politics properly!

I dunno, I think a team of;

Westwood
    Coleman--Dunne--St Ledger--Wilson
    Whelan
    McCarthy--Andrew/Gibson/Fahey
    --McGeady
    McClean
    Walters/Long/Keane/Doyle

could give most teams a game. Options to swap around further too with Brady, Clarke and O'Shea (and potentially plenty more like Pilkington, Pierce, Hoolahan etc if they're given a spot in the squad).

Looking back it was said Sweden missed an open goal near the end. Looked like the full time whistle couldn't come quick enough. Could have been worse for us.

At least there's still a glimmer, eh? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

We may well be bouncing back from a loss when we play Austria. We could even have a new manager. A lot will change!

Hopefully. People are massively underestimating how much of a loss Shay Given is. We've always relied on a decent keeper to get us draws when we should have lost, and hang on for dear life to 1-0 leads. Without him, to put it bluntly, we're f**ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dempsey wrote: »
    why was primetime sticking their nose into football? they can barely cover politics properly!

Was a strange one alright last time they chatted about the team was probably in 02 about Saipan

• Advertisement

Brady spouting rubbish. "We'll look ridiculous to the rest of the world if we sack this man."

You're spouting rubblish. He's entirely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Westwood
    Whelan
    --McGeady
    McClean
    Walters/Long/Keane/Doyle

could give most teams a game.
    I would probably start O'Shea instead of St. Ledger and would have Long up front on his own.not sure about the midfield 3 .If we played a bit of possession football with that set up it would be a huge step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

So much for every other team in the group letting Germany walk over them like they were meant to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Westwood
    Whelan
    --McGeady
    McClean
    Walters/Long/Keane/Doyle

could give most teams a game. Options to swap around further too with Brady, Clarke and O'Shea (and potentially plenty more like Pilkington, Pierce, Hoolahan etc if they're given a spot in the squad).

sure would 16 of us v 11 of them

Westwood
    Whelan
    --McGeady
    McClean
    Walters/Long/Keane/Doyle

This is the problem with Rep of Ireland fans, completely delusional. That's a sh*t to mediocre team at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Westwood
    Whelan
    --McGeady
    McClean
    Walters/Long/Keane/Doyle

Even with 16 players we wont do much...

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    So much for every other team in the group letting Germany walk over them like they were meant to :rolleyes:

Not ideal. But tonight showed crazy results can happen in international football!

I mean NI are beating Portugal.

This is the problem with Rep of Ireland fans, completely delusional. That's a sh*t to mediocre team at best.

bit harsh mate-You English?

bit harsh mate-You English?

Nope, just someone who's pissed off at folks trying to hound Trapattoni out of his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yeah, whatever.

That result was achieved by a team made up of players from clubs like Celtic, Blackburn, West Brom, Fulham, Sunderland and La Galaxy. Sound familiar?

If you honestly think that our team is comparable to Sweden's then there's nothing else to discuss.

Even on his own Ibrahimovic accounts for a huge gulf in class.

And do bear in mind that although they did fight back, they were 4-0 down at one stage.

Germany are really really good. Perhaps they can be punished if they get complacent and you have good striking options but today was a freak result and says very little about how good or bad a result it is for a **** team to lose 6-1 to probably the 2nd best team in the world.

Nope, just someone who's pissed off at folks trying to hound Trapattoni out of his job.

Well I think our players are better than that. I do agree though with the hounding out though. Met the guy before-total gent too. Think he is gone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Dunphy was spot on tonight with his post match comments about trap. None one is saying he hasnt done some good in the 4 and ahalf years in charge but bottom line is hes getting a huge salary and isnt doing enough to justify it imo. His well documented fallout with players and stubbornness to change his tactics are the main reasons i want to him to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Not ideal. But tonight showed crazy results can happen in international football!

I mean NI were beating Portugal.

Fixed your post but the sentiment remains!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nobody on here is going to hound Trap out of his job, it wasn't the media displaying a Trap out banner at the game tonight, it wasn't the media booing at full time on Friday.

A lot of fans believe Trap has taken the team as far as he can, the team is in decline at present with a drop in quality of players available, lack of motivation, poor tactics, some of these things are Traps fault some are not but again a lot feel a fresh approach is required.

Not sure why the Trap fans think this is some personal attack on the man.

Umm...I posted in favor of Trap staying...

Sergio wrote: »
    Dunphy was spot on tonight with his post match comments about trap. None one is saying he hasnt done some good in the 4 and ahalf years in charge but bottom line is hes getting a huge salary and isnt doing enough to justify it imo. His well documented fallout with players and stubbornness to change his tactics are the main reasons i want to him to be replaced.

Not good enough reasons to sack a manager. By that rationale Alex Ferguson should have been sacked a long time ago.

At the end of the day, it's a results-based business. Barring recent defeats to three world class teams, Trapattoni's record is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Gbear wrote: »
    If you honestly think that our team is comparable to Sweden's then there's nothing else to discuss.

Yeah you're right. We'd be doing well to get crack players from top clubs like Kasımpaşa, Helsingborgs, Malmö FF, Brugge, İstanbul BBSK, Elfsborg and Seattle Sounders.

Umm...I posted in favor of Trap staying...

OK, apologies, the point remains that there are unrealistic expectations of our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

RoryMac wrote: »
    Nobody on here is going to hound Trap out of his job, it wasn't the media displaying a Trap out banner at the game tonight, it wasn't the media booing at full time on Friday.

A lot of fans believe Trap has taken the team as far as he can, the team is in decline at present with a drop in quality of players available, lack of motivation, poor tactics, some of these things are Traps fault some are not but again a lot feel a fresh approach is required.

Not sure why the Trap fans think this is some personal attack on the man.

well thats a resonable argument/attitude you have but a lot of the anti-trap fans are calling him "completely useless/doesnt know what he is doing" and i think he is being hounded out just like mick was.

we could be as bad as scotland and wales are atm without him i think.

losing to germany by however much doesnt mean anything, so what we got no points, they are an amazing team.

if we get less than 4 points against sweden/austria next march then fair enough with letting him go, at least its a reason. fai gave him a contract, let him see it out and run the team as he sees fit. if its not renewed then fair enough too if you dont like the way he has done things but mid campain 6/9points is crazy to get rid of a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Not good enough reasons to sack a manager. By that rationale Alex Ferguson should have been sacked a long time ago.

At the end of the day, it's a results-based business. Barring recent defeats to three world class teams, Trapattoni's record is excellent.

This is exactly the attitude i cant stand about trappatoni which has obviously rubbed of on you too. We were absolutley shocking in the euros and i think thats down to traps arrogant attitude towards his job. The reason we got beaten in the 3 games is because they werent prepared properly and trap couldnt be bothered to get the finger out...................."Sure hasnt he gotten us to the euros in poland so he pat himself on the back" is the attitude of the man and certain fans who are willing to accept that crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

well that's the team we've got son, what do you want us to do? We can't sign anyone... Irish football, grass roots wise is muck........................ please lay out your 10 step plan for us to become world and European champions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

please explain?Makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sergio wrote: »
    This is exactly the attitude i cant stand about trappatoni which has obviously rubbed of on you too. We were absolutley shocking in the euros and i think thats down to traps arrogant attitude towards his job. The reason we got beaten in the 3 games is because they werent prepared properly and trap couldnt be bothered to get the finger out...................."Sure hasnt he gotten us to the euros in poland so he pat himself on the back" is the attitude of the man and certain fans who are willing to accept that crap!
    And what may I ask are you expecting? Do you think that the squad we had were good enough to win the Euros? Do you think that Spain and Italy getting to the final kinda shows how difficult our group was? I personally think Croatia are in the top five teams in Europe at the present time. We hadn't an earthly hope of doing anything in that group if we had Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson or any other top manager in charge.

Trap tells it as it is, its a result based business and he has shown with Ireland and for most of his career that he can get the results.

The big problems in this country are unrealistic fans who want us to play an attractive brand of football with a team thats not capable of doing it at a high enough level. They also want a man who was 69 when he took the Irish job to suddenly become a fluent english speaker so they can understand everything he says.

To those people I say get real, understand that we are a small country which overachieves every now and then. We have overachieved under Trap by reaching the Euros. We possibly could do so again in this World Cup campaign.

People were on here tonight talking about goal difference which shows you the level of knowledge or lack of it which they possess. In this thing its all about your record against the other team if two teams end up level on points.

I honestly think that the modern day football fan is like a spoiled child who wants everything his own way or he isn't happy. We got a good result tonight and everybody brushes it under the carpet because it doesn't suit their agenda. They want to tell us how Sweden made an incredible comeback and drew and how much better they are than the Irish team. Well lets just wait until they meet us and then you can talk and if we fail miserably then you can take the soap box and scream and people will listen.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And what may I ask are you expecting? Do you think that the squad we had were good enough to win the Euros? Do you think that Spain and Italy getting to the final kinda shows how difficult our group was? I personally think Croatia are in the top five teams in Europe at the present time. We hadn't an earthly hope of doing anything in that group if we had Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson or any other top manager in charge.

Trap tells it as it is, its a result based business and he has shown with Ireland and for most of his career that he can get the results.

The big problems in this country are unrealistic fans who want us to play an attractive brand of football with a team thats not capable of doing it at a high enough level. They also want a man who was 69 when he took the Irish job to suddenly become a fluent english speaker so they can understand everything he says.

To those people I say get real, understand that we are a small country which overachieves every now and then. We have overachieved under Trap by reaching the Euros. We possibly could do so again in this World Cup campaign.

People were on here tonight talking about goal difference which shows you the level of knowledge or lack of it which they possess. In this thing its all about your record against the other team if two teams end up level on points.

I honestly think that the modern day football fan is like a spoiled child who wants everything his own way or he isn't happy. We got a good result tonight and everybody brushes it under the carpet because it doesn't suit their agenda. They want to tell us how Sweden made an incredible comeback and drew and how much better they are than the Irish team. Well lets just wait until they meet us and then you can talk and if we fail miserably then you can take the soap box and scream and people will listen.

Couldn't agree more..

Media and fans blinded by unrealistic expectations since 2002

Captain hindsight is also a member of 'team begrudger'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. We'd be doing well to get crack players from top clubs like Kasımpaşa, Helsingborgs, Malmö FF, Brugge, İstanbul BBSK, Elfsborg and Seattle Sounders.

Nice argument.

Try picking the players that actually played though.

I get...

Kasımpaşa
    Genoa
    WBA Anderlecht (CL)
    Celtic (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    Istanbul
    Sunderland
    PSG (CL)
    Galatasary (CL)

The three subs added players from Fulham, Spartak (CL), and Ajax (CL).

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

gosplan wrote: »
    Nice argument.

Try picking the players that actually played though.

I get...

Kasımpaşa
    Genoa
    WBA Anderlecht (CL)
    Celtic (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    Istanbul
    Sunderland
    PSG (CL)
    Galatasary (CL)

The three subs added players from Fulham, Spartak (CL), and Ajax (CL).

Hmmm.

It really isn't much difference tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

WBA Anderlecht (CL)
    Celtic (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    CSKA (CL)
    Istanbul
    Sunderland
    PSG (CL)
    Galatasary (CL)

thing is though, pretty much all of our players play in UK, far harder to get into a top 4 team there and get into CL, than it would be in turkey etc. Not one of their players plays for what I would call a top club, if Ibrahimovic is playing for PSG Im assuming he's there for the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

yabadabado wrote: »
    please explain?Makes no sense whatsoever.

He has also fallen out with players like Keane, van nistletroy, Stam, McGrath and beckham. Rooney as well you could argue but he gave in to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Idbatterim wrote: »
    thing is though, pretty much all of our players play in UK, far harder to get into a top 4 team there and get into CL, than it would be in turkey etc. Not one of their players plays for what I would call a top club, if Ibrahimovic is playing for PSG Im assuming he's there for the money?

Exactly, the champions league argument is stupid. Everton, for example, are a far better team than many CL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

SantryRed wrote: »
    It really isn't much difference tbh.

Seriously??

You're now saying that there wouldn't be much of a difference between the list that I gave, more than half of which are in this year's CL, and the playing staffs of three Swedish clubs, Kasımpaşa, İstanbul BBSK, and Seattle Sounders.

What, do you have your fingers in each others bums or something??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Sweden are a better team then Ireland sure. But on papar with the exception of Ibra, the gulf in class is not massive. They'll definitely finish second. Trap will make sure of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement