Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland - 16/10/2012 - 19:00 - RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

0-4 Brady with 2 and Keane and Walters with 1 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

It actually frustrates me that Long isn't getting a starting place above Walters. I don't rate Walters whatsoever and he hasn't proved anything to me yet!

Saying that I think its gonna be a 3-1 win Ireland, but I'm gonna stick a shneaky bet down on a draw...sure ya just never know !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    It actually frustrates me that Long isn't getting a starting place above Walters. I don't rate Walters whatsoever and he hasn't proved anything to me yet!

Saying that I think its gonna be a 3-1 win Ireland, but I'm gonna stick a shneaky bet down on a draw...sure ya just never know !

Did very well in impossible circumstances on Friday I thought. He's a man mountain, wonderful first target to have. With us higher up the pitch and with Keano sniffing off him he could be very valuable indeed.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did very well in impossible circumstances on Friday I thought. He's a man mountain, wonderful first target to have. With us higher up the pitch and with Keano sniffing off him he could be very valuable indeed.

He did do wel, I will give him that but still Keano is past his best! Its time we replace him and bring in Long.I see serious potential in Long and he's proved himself with West Brom. Maybe Walters and Long up front, that would sound more appealing to me that the two we have starting tonight!

Excited to see Brady again and hope he does well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Watched their match against Sweden the other day, up untill the point of their goal they were good then realised they were a goal up against Sweden and completely froze. Not many easy away games anymore on the International scene but our consistancy in these sort of ties is what finishing 2nd in previous campaign were built on. I expect a win leaving us in a decent position in our group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'm glad Walters made the team, he showed the spirit and fight needed on Friday. If a few more had shown it the humiliation might have been less.

I'd wanted Long to start but I wasn't impressed with him running around like an angry 10 year old, even kicking the ball at the crowd at one stage, it must be frustrating for him but there was no need for the petulant attitude he showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Walters definetly deserves to start after his Germany performance

Also this is the perfect game to blood some of the younger lads unlike Friday were he was forced to start a couple of them, hopefully they weren't too downbeat on the result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love to see Long and Walters, both are very good in the air and both would unsettle and put pressure on any back 4.

In saying that Keane is our top scorer and always seems to come up with the goods when needed.

Long to replace Keane after 55-60 minutes if the job is hopefully done.

• Advertisement

Irish fans have the same mentality saying " ah he played well and should have scored"

We lost 6-1, we were brutal.If we want to win games then play goal scorers! No point in saying the same oul shíte. Walters has scored 1 goal for us so far, he's due one!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Sadly Traps time is up, the media are circling and only waiting for the next bad result to finish him off.

He has not helped himself with his teams selection but i dont think the euros helped his cause. We played against the two finalists in our group which just shows what we were up against.

The problem now is he is trying to change the formation etc but it all seems too late. Anything less than a win tonight and trap will be pushed.

Not too sure who i would like to see in there as the problem at the moment is the quality of players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Good point actually, they are a cut above SM, Andorra, Liechteinstein, Luxembourg. Without checking I think they are the only one of those to have a semi pro league. I still say anything less than three for a mid to top ranking team is a worrying return mind (France were pretty sub par in the WC 2010 campaign on the whole, for example, so a mere 1-0 is very indicative of the issues they were having with Domenech and his management at the time)
    :confused:
    Italy who were finalists in the Euros beat them 1-0 there in the Euro qualifiers last September. Sweden only beat them by a goal in this campaign.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sure these only have 8 full time players and 3 fish in the team.

But in all seriousness, I can really see us dropping points tonight. The Faroes are higher seeds than Kazakhstan and they'll be fancying their chances after both team's performances on Friday. I know we've generally done well against the 'minnows' of the group since Trap's been in charge, but we've been extremely lucky on occasions (Kazakhstan and Georgia in WCQ 2010). I think that luck could run out tonight. All depends of whether we can get a goal early on.

Brian Kerr shooting his mouth on SSN, there's a reason you're still unemployed mate. You'd swear he was the one of multiple league and European titles across Europe the way he was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Brian Kerr shooting his mouth on SSN, there's a reason you're still unemployed mate. You'd swear he was the one of multiple league and European titles across Europe the way he was going on.

Harsh.

(He actually has a few underage European trophies!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Sadly Traps time is up, the media are circling and only waiting for the next bad result to finish him off.

He has not helped himself with his teams selection but i dont think the euros helped his cause. We played against the two finalists in our group which just shows what we were up against.

The problem now is he is trying to change the formation etc but it all seems too late. Anything less than a win tonight and trap will be pushed.

Not too sure who i would like to see in there as the problem at the moment is the quality of players we have.

The media don't get to finish anything or anyone off. **** them, fools.

The Independent labelled Trapp as "shameless" for not resigning today. How is that in anyway an appropriate adjective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I am going for a 0-2 Ireland win. We are bad but the Faroe islands are dismal.

On the trap question. A simple question that needs to be asked when accessing a managers performance at any level of the game is as follow.....'is the manager getting the best out of the players avaliable to him?'. In traps case I think the answer is no, the players looks unhappy with him, he is not picking our best players, he is damaging the future of the team by ignoring some younger players, we are far too one dimensional with our long ball game and again this is harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

Keogh out with concussion. That goal really went to his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Trampas wrote: »

If it wasn't for his late consolation goal against the Germans the result might have been embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Anyone recommend a reliable live stream link for this? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Anyone recommend a reliable live stream link for this? Cheers.

Are ya really going to stay up and watch this game? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Are ya really going to stay up and watch this game? :eek:

Get up early. Sleep is the cousin of death and all that :pac: I know one lad out here who took two days off work unpaid so he could watch the Andorra qualifiers last year :P And people mock that "best fans in the world" tag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

While it looks the Fairies might have a suprise up their sleeves...

...They've only got eight full time players and three fish in the team.

Get up early. Sleep is the cousin of death and all that :pac: I know one lad out here who took two days off work unpaid so he could watch the Andorra qualifiers last year :P And people mock that "best fans in the world" tag.

If you come back after the game and complain about getting up early/lack of sleep I'm banning ya. :P

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The media don't get to finish anything or anyone off. **** them, fools.

The Independent labelled Trapp as "shameless" for not resigning today. How is that in anyway an appropriate adjective?

Saw that.

Starting an article with "Shameless Giovanni Trappatoni...." was bit disgraceful by Daniel McDonnell.

Same Journo published a "Trap gone within a week" story on Monday (although maybe the editor more likely ot have chosen the headline).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Irish fans have the same mentality saying " ah he played well and should have scored"

We lost 6-1, we were brutal.If we want to win games then play goal scorers! No point in saying the same oul shíte. Walters has scored 1 goal for us so far, he's due one!

Walters doesn't exactly have 100 caps in which to score goals. He was brilliant against the Germans, but had no support.

If we had players coming through or played a 4-4-2 he would have created lots of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just my own opinion on Trap is that his time is up with this Irish team. The players have lost all confidence in the man and it shows on the pitch, we were like schoolboys the other night v Germany, couldnt for the life of us string a few passes together, always looking for the killer pass and giving the ball away needlessly in the process. Why cant we just keep hold of the ball and probe around the oppositions box and wait for the openings to come then play the killer ball when its on??

It really does baffle me that there are still some people out there saying give him more time, the man has to of been the most lucky manager I have ever seen. I dont ever remember bar probably Paris that we looked the better side than our opponents in any of our competitive games under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trampas wrote: »

Paul Mcshane again i guess? first Keane, now this.

must be the hair is gettin in his way.

Also he has had quite a few good results with the Faroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good grief we need to win this game.

not just for the sake of a long shot at qualifying, but we must not collapse in this campaign for the sake of our ranking. if our ranking slips, it could be a long time before we see anything close to a major championship finals.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just my own opinion on Trap is that his time is up with this Irish team. The players have lost all confidence in the man and it shows on the pitch, we were like schoolboys the other night v Germany, couldnt for the life of us string a few passes together, always looking for the killer pass and giving the ball away needlessly in the process. Why cant we just keep hold of the ball and probe around the oppositions box and wait for the openings to come then play the killer ball when its on??

It really does baffle me that there are still some people out there saying give him more time, the man has to of been the most lucky manager I have ever seen. I dont ever remember bar probably Paris that we looked the better side than our opponents in any of our competitive games under him.

There was an Italy friendly too where Ireland looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

SlickRic wrote: »
    good grief we need to win this game.

not just for the sake of a long shot at qualifying, but we must not collapse in this campaign for the sake of our ranking. if our ranking slips, it could be a long time before we see anything close to a major championship finals.

Whilst I'm fully behind the idea of wanting to win every game I also hold the unpopular opinion that seeding is relatively unimportant and in the case of Ireland the stats bear it out. Ireland have qualified for five tournaments to date. Four times out of the five as third seed or lower. By comparison we've frequently been second seeds (and even first seeds twice!) and flopped time after time.

My opinion is you're better off getting your house in order and offering up a decent team rather than just hoping the seedings will save you next time. If that means taking a short term hit in the rankings/seedings in order to achieve it then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Lads, I have been out of touch with Irish Football for a while now since I moved to Florida 10 years ago. When I left, the Irish team where playing in the 2002 World Cup. On the day I traveled, Ireland were playing Spain. I did not get the result until I got to South Carolina and sat at the bar. I asked an English guy what was the score and he proudly told me Spain won on penalties. As much as I was disappointed I was very proud of the team and the boys. We had a team back then.

I watched the Euros during the summer, and the Irish team were embarrassing. I said it to friends and family back home that The current Irish squad would struggle in the Championship. I watched the game against the German’s and holy ****, it was like boys v’s men. I hate to say it, but Ireland do not have the players to compete at this stage. When I look at the team, again I’m thinking this team would struggle in the English Championship to get results.

For me it does not matter who is in charge, the Irish International Soccer team is a joke, it really is, no decent players, the setup amateurish. As a proud Irish man, it pains me to say the above, but unfortunately its very true. As a nation, we are finished on the International stage I feel.

Tonight’s game with be interesting to say the least, but the good days of Irish Football has come and gone unfortunately.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Whilst I'm fully behind the idea of wanting to win every game I also hold the unpopular opinion that seeding is relatively unimportant and in the case of Ireland the stats bear it out. Ireland have qualified for five tournaments to date. Four times out of the five as third seed or lower. By comparison we've frequently been second seeds (and even first seeds twice!) and flopped time after time.

My opinion is you're better off getting your house in order and offering up a decent team rather than just hoping the seedings will save you next time. If that means taking a short term hit in the rankings/seedings in order to achieve it then so be it.

Surely, any basic statistical analysis of World Cup and Euro qualifiers over the last 20 years will show that the higher seeds nearly always qualify.

The two are rarely mutually exclusive.

The 20 or so tournaments we didn't qualify for in the last half decade were likely when we were seeded lower as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ahh here....I've had it with this!

There's every possibility that we can create the spine of a decent team supplemented by a few ordinary players who play above themselves in an Ireland jersey, inspired by a manager who instills pride, confidence and organization in them, as we have always done in the past. Our most memorable World Cup games ever, the 2 games agasint Italy in 1990 and 1994 had average players like Morris, Cascarino, Babb, Phelan in the team and little or nothing on the bench! We can get back to that level again - or something approaching it! But it will take time!

Aston Villa have some hot IRISH prospects - Graham Burke, Samier Carruthers & Jack Grealish. Jordan Graham is another hot prospect at Villa who can play for Ireland but will probably play for England

Also the likes of Shane Duffy, Aidan White, Marc Wilson, Robbie Brady, Conor Clifford, Conor Henderson, James McCarthy, James McLean.
    There's 11 top prospects right there. It doesn't cover every position and not every single one of them will make it. But others will emerge also and the likes of Clifford and Henderson need to get out of clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal

Young and younish players also like McGeady, Gibson, Doyle, Coleman, Long, Pearce, Pinkelton, O'Brien, Clark and maybe a return of Stephen Ireland will enhance what we have coming through also.

We have every chance of building a decent team over the next 4 years - not a world class team like the early 90's....but a very decent team capable of upsetting anyone on their day. But Trap is not the man to build it!

Lads, I have been out of touch with Irish Football for a while now since I moved to Florida 10 years ago. When I left, the Irish team where playing in the 2002 World Cup. On the day I traveled, Ireland were playing Spain. I did not get the result until I got to South Carolina and sat at the bar. I asked an English guy what was the score and he proudly told me Spain won on penalties. As much as I was disappointed I was very proud of the team and the boys. We had a team back then.

I watched the Euros during the summer, and the Irish team were embarrassing. I said it to friends and family back home that The current Irish squad would struggle in the Championship. I watched the game against the German’s and holy ****, it was like boys v’s men. I hate to say it, but Ireland do not have the players to compete at this stage. When I look at the team, again I’m thinking this team would struggle in the English Championship to get results.

For me it does not matter who is in charge, the Irish International Soccer team is a joke, it really is, no decent players, the setup amateurish. As a proud Irish man, it pains me to say the above, but unfortunately its very true. As a nation, we are finished on the International stage I feel.

Tonight’s game with be interesting to say the least, but the good days of Irish Football has come and gone unfortunately.

There were no world beaters in that 2002 side either - just some journeymen professionals - apart from Given and Roy Keane - and young untested young players such as Duff etc. No stars there.

We most likely have at least as much talent now available as then - some of the younger players show a lot of promise, if they could get game time.

We'll probably never have the quality we had in Jack Charlton's days, but we definitely can have a much better team than we have now.

1 Given
    2 Finnan
    3 Harte
    4 Cunningham
    5 Staunton (c)
    6 Roy Keane
    7 McAteer
    8 Holland
    9 Duff
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Kilbane
    12 Kinsella
    13 Connolly
    14 Breen
    15 Dunne
    16 Kiely
    17 Quinn
    18 G. Kelly
    19 Morrison
    20 O'Brien
    21 Reid
    22 Carsley
    23 A. Kelly
    Coach: McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

professore wrote: »
    There were no world beaters in that 2002 side either - just some journeymen professionals - apart from Given and Roy Keane - and young untested young players such as Duff etc. No stars there.

We most likely have at least as much talent now available as then - some of the younger players show a lot of promise, if they could get game time.

We'll probably never have the quality we had in Jack Charlton's days, but we definitely can have a much better team than we have now.

1 Given
    2 Finnan
    3 Harte
    4 Cunningham
    5 Staunton (c)
    6 Roy Keane
    7 McAteer
    8 Holland
    9 Duff
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Kilbane
    12 Kinsella
    13 Connolly
    14 Breen
    15 Dunne
    16 Kiely
    17 Quinn
    18 G. Kelly
    19 Morrison
    20 O'Brien
    21 Reid
    22 Carsley
    23 A. Kelly

For me that squad above is so much better than the players available today. That squad at least could complete in World Cups and be proud of it. Can't say the same with the squad we have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

professore wrote: »

1 Given
    2 Finnan
    3 Harte
    4 Cunningham
    5 Staunton (c)
    6 Roy Keane
    7 McAteer
    8 Holland
    9 Duff
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Kilbane
    12 Kinsella
    13 Connolly
    14 Breen
    15 Dunne
    16 Kiely
    17 Quinn
    18 G. Kelly
    19 Morrison
    20 O'Brien
    21 Reid
    22 Carsley
    23 A. Kelly
    Finnan has a champions league medal, an extremely solid left back. Robbie Keane was tearing it up that time as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

For me that squad above is so much better than the players available today. That squad at least could complete in World Cups and be proud of it. Can't say the same with the squad we have at the moment.

Maybe because there not been managed correctly at the moment :confused:

Take New Zealand for example, a bunch of very average players who competed fairly well in the last World Cup, drawing there 3 games with the likes of Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay in there group. It just goes to show what you can achieve with a good coach in international football. We are more than capable of competing with the best in the world, but not under Trappatoni!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

buyer95 wrote: »
    Finnan has a champions league medal, an extremely solid left back. Robbie Keane was tearing it up that time as well

"Jimmy" Traore has one too. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I've backed Ireland -1. I expect we have more firepower in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Brian Kerr shooting his mouth on SSN, there's a reason you're still unemployed mate.

its a pity he's still not with the Faroe's...would have been great seeing him up against his old employers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kincsem wrote: »
    I've backed Ireland -1. I expect we have more firepower in attack.
    Crazy bet, we have one of the poorest squads we have ever had or at least in the past 35 years since I started watching football.

As I said on the previous page, Italy only won there 1-0, Sweden only won 2-1. A win over there is a good result but winning by more than a goal is not very easy.

Nah it's a solid bet now after big drift! Just on the match betting myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Crazy bet? But you don't know the odds at which the bet was struck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How about an Ireland, Germany and holland treble tonight at 5/2. Decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

eagle eye wrote: »
    Crazy bet, we have one of the poorest squads we have ever had or at least in the past 35 years since I started watching football.

As I said on the previous page, Italy only won there 1-0, Sweden only won 2-1. A win over there is a good result but winning by more than a goal is not very easy.

its not a crazy bet . this is faroes island second match in a week and they gave it everything against sweden. Theyl be wrecked.Ireland will be switched on and ready do it for themselves after fridays embarassment knowing the manager is gone pretty much eithier way according to reports.

backed -1 and minus -2 (3/1) tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

The last time the Faroes conceded more than 2 goals in a home fixture was Sept '10 against Serbia(3-0). Before that you have to go back to Oct'07 when France trounced them 6-0. Regardless of them having had a tough game on Friday, most of our players were ran raged for 90 mins too, to assume we will put a bagful of goals past these is wishful thinking. The stats don't back it up.

Regardless, all i want is a win here. I don't care for the score. 3 points and get our campaign back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

"Jimmy" Traore has one too. Enough said.

Are you for fcuking real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

From Off the Ball, Newstalk ...

"Trapattoni will NOT hold a planned press conference in Dublin tomorrow and will instead fly home directly to Milan. Writing is on the wall. Join us tonight ... "

Hmmmmm.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement