Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland - 16/10/2012 - 19:00 - RTE2

1151617181921»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

kitakyushu wrote: »
    No, the area of a country is its area. The size can be used to describe a variety of things (area/population etc). In this case population.

Moron eh? That's nice.

So when someone says to you "what is the size of America?", do you say "300 million people"? :pac:

I also appreciate the irony of you complaining about nitpicking only to be completely ignoring the points I have made to you on the core issue. You came on and tried to ramp the negativity a little higher by talking about Sweden's success and why cant we be the same. You got told by a few posters and resorted to childish stuff like "Game over" etc. Your point was crap, got taken apart and now you're all annoyed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

So when someone says to you "what is the size of America?", do you say "300 million people"? :pac:

I also appreciate the irony of you complaining about nitpicking only to be completely ignoring the points I have made to you on the core issue. You came on and tried to ramp the negativity a little higher by talking about Sweden's success and why cant we be the same. You got told by a few posters and resorted to childish stuff like "Game over" etc. Your point was crap, got taken apart and now you're all annoyed. :pac:

Resorting to using personal insults like "moron"? Sounds to me like you're the one getting a little annoyed tbh.

Resorting to calling people morons? Sounds to me like you're the one getting a little annoyed tbh.

But you are one. It is clear from your poorly thought out posts. I amnt annoyed at all. Very easy to spot a moron you know. Finished talking about Sweden?

But you are one. It is clear from your poorly thought out posts. I amnt annoyed at all. Very easy to spot a moron you know. Finished talking about Sweden?

You could at least put a bit of variety into it if you're going to resort to throwing personal insults.

You could at least put a bit of variety into it if you're going to resort to throwing personal insults.

They aren't a means of entertaining you. I chose the right one.

Oh but they are a means of entertainment, just like the entire contents of your posts are. I love to sit here and listen to you theorise on how Sweden are so much better than us because they have a larger population and how despite how even a quick rifle through their squads down the years demonstrates they're not a million miles ahead of us in terms of players that it doesn't matter because they have 9.5million and we only have around 4.5m.

I'll take what you say on board and just pray we don't run into China or India at some future world cup.

Oh but they are a means of entertainment, just like the entire contents of your posts are. I love to sit here and listen to you theorise on how Sweden are so much better than us because they have a larger population and how despite how even a quick rifle through their squads down the years demonstrates they're not a million miles ahead of us in terms of players that it doesn't matter because they have 9.5million and we only have around 4.5m.

I'll take what you say on board and just pray we don't run into China or India at some future world cup.

I'll make it easy. Read the bold bit. Then read your earlier comment about Sweden being ahead of us. Now look at the population stats. You've made my point whilst thinking you were bolstering your own. :pac:

I'll make it easy. Read the bold bit. Then read your earlier comment about Sweden being ahead of us. Now look at the population stats. You've made my point whilst thinking you were bolstering your own. :pac:

What's your point? All along I've said Sweden are not far ahead of us in terms of personnel but they are very far ahead of us in terms of results. Which bit of that do you not understand and how does that have anything to do with population one way or the other?

See, you're just not very good at this are you?

What's your point? All along I've said Sweden are not far ahead of us in terms of personnel but they are very far ahead of us in terms of results. Which bit of that do you not understand and how does that have anything to do with population one way or the other?

See, you're just not very good at this are you?

Oh lord. You were wrong. They have twice as many personnel to choose from. Asking why we arent as good as Sweden and ignoring that they have twice our population is stupid. I cannot put it any other way. The fact that you couldnt understand other people trying to explain it to you (getting very defensive and bitchy in the process) tells me you are the one struggling with the whole chat forum concept.

Anyways, you're boring me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Once again you're missing the point. So look at this. Since the 2000's here the list of teams from Europe who have qualified the most for finals (six times or more).

England, Germany, Italy , Spain, Netherlands ,France , Portugal ...... Sweden.

Any team seem out of place to you there? Any team you can see with a low population, weak domestic league and not even a single decent club in their country to ensure some sort of medium point outlet for their talent? I'm betting you know which one I mean.

So now, do Sweden have have the 8th best selection of players in Europe to work with over the last decade? According to your simplistic pov they must because the results are there to see. But if you really think their fortunes match their resources then feel free to demonstrate it to me and like I said previously explain to me why why Sweden's squad list doesn't feature half-dozen or more players employed at top clubs around Europe at any given time considering they're so good?

Yes, exactly, or they're very close anyway.

You'd imagine that they're where exactly. And who's 8th, 9th and 10th in your mind??

Why do they have to be employed at top clubs? Can they not be better for us playing for clubs like Lyon??

I'm actually just shocked that you're so persistant with all of this. there is no debate as to whether Sweden have historically had a better pool of players to choose from, none.

Only someone focussed on 'being right on the internet' could argue it for this long.

It doesn't matter that Kellstrom played for Lyon and not Milan - he's better than Reid It doesn't matter that Larsson spent the majority of his career at Celtic - he's better than Keane. Ljundberg vrs a 2006 Duff is close, and then you've ibramovich vrs whoever our second striker is.

How can you not see that in a few key positions, they're streets ahead, that's a pattern repeated - and that makes them better over time.

When we had a few class players - and not the top four squad that you seem to think if prerequisite for being acclaimed 'good'. I mean Matt Holland as captain of Charlton, Roy Keane in his prime, a young Robbie, Duff at Blackburn turning defenders inside out - we had the 2002 team and you can see the difference those few players made. We never had a full squad but their talent brought everything forward.

For me that's where Sweden generally are ... and that's the difference between our squads.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

You'd imagine that they're where exactly. And who's 8th, 9th and 10th in your mind??

Why do they have to be employed at top clubs? Can they not be better for us playing for clubs like Lyon??

I'm actually just shocked that you're so persistant with all of this. there is no debate as to whether Sweden have historically had a better pool of players to choose from, none.

Only someone focussed on 'being right on the internet' could argue it for this long.

It doesn't matter that Kellstrom played for Lyon and not Milan - he's better than Reid It doesn't matter that Larsson spent the majority of his career at Celtic - he's better than Keane. Ljundberg vrs a 2006 Duff is close, and then you've ibramovich vrs whoever our second striker is.

How can you not see that in a few key positions, they're streets ahead, that's a pattern repeated - and that makes them better over time.

When we had a few class players - and not the top four squad that you seem to think if prerequisite for being acclaimed 'good'. I mean Matt Holland as captain of Charlton, Roy Keane in his prime, a young Robbie, Duff at Blackburn turning defenders inside out - we had the 2002 team and you can see the difference those few players made. We never had a full squad but their talent brought everything forward.

For me that's where Sweden generally are ... and that's the difference between our squads.

He wont take that on board!

Oh lord. You were wrong. They have twice as many personnel to choose from. Asking why we arent as good as Sweden and ignoring that they have twice our population is stupid. I cannot put it any other way. The fact that you couldnt understand other people trying to explain it to you (getting very defensive and bitchy in the process) tells me you are the one struggling with the whole chat forum concept.

Anyways, you're boring me now.

Haha, called "bitchy" by the guy throwing around personal insults.

I've seen a lot of crap on this thread but that bit in bold is honestly the stupidest thing I've read to date. Well done.

Football at this level is a game played by 11 and generally backed up by another 10-15. It doesn't matter if Sweden have twice, ten or a hundred times as much personnel to choose from. It's about looking at their best 25 or from that pool and making an assessment based on that. It hardly matters a jot if we have only have 25 players good enough for international football and they have 100. You can still only choose the same size slice off the top and judge based on what you see there. As it stands (and for as long as I've been watching the game) Sweden have never been far ahead of us in that regard and all your waffle about population doesn't change that.

Haha, called "bitchy" by the guy throwing around personal insults.

I've seen a lot of crap on this thread but that bit in bold is honestly the stupidest thing I've read to date. Well done.

Football at this level is a game played by 11 and generally backed up by another 10-15. It doesn't matter if Sweden have twice, ten or a hundred times as much personnel to choose from. It's about looking at their best 25 or from that pool and making an assessment based on that. It hardly matters a jot if we have only have 25 players good enough for international football and they have 100. You can still only choose the same size slice off the top and judge based on what you see there. As it stands (and for as long as I've been watching the game) Sweden have never been far ahead of us in that regard and all your waffle about population doesn't change that.

You obviously dont read much. Your main paragraph misses the point so completely, so absolutely, that it is almost a work of art. You have to be a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

dont forget that their players arent all exposed to the british kick and rush football mantra throughout their youth career.

gosplan wrote: »

I accept your point of view (not the point about Sweden having the eighth best selection in Europe) but the general sentiment of your post and what you are trying to demonstrate. To clarify (hopefully for the final time) I've never said Ireland had better players or even equal players. All along I've been saying that we've a very comparable selection to Sweden and so much so that the some of the very same clubs in world of football sees fit to even employ a wide subset of our players. It's a strong and valid basis for comparison. Further the club overlap is not their 7 worst players vs our 7 best players so once again it's a fair basis for compaison imho.

Also, it's not like I'm here as a Luxembourg fan shouting "why aren't we as good/nearly as good Sweden" when I need only look at squad to get the answer. I'm talking about a nation (Ireland) that can still easily assemble a starting XI (and possibly a full squad even) made up by nothing but Prem players. Even in this supposed era of dearth they are not a useless range of choices and certainly collectively are comparable to what Sweden took to Berlin this week for example.

You think Sweden collectively have had a better selection over time. That may be so. Even if it is then I disagree that the gap is so significant that it should explain them qualifying 6 times out of the last 7 and us twice. Clearly something is being done very right to get the best out of them that is not being done with us.

On that point you say Sweden are better on an individual basis. I would tend to agree, but only in a few cases. ATM we certainly don't have an Ibra or anything close. However I would disagree with your assessment is that it is a few recognised impact players down the years who are making the difference for them and not for us. If it was then I could rattle off several international sides in history who should have done better purely because they had one or two exceptional players in a team of eleven and similarily others who achieved despite having not having any.

Dempsey wrote: »
    dont forget that their players arent all exposed to the british kick and rush football mantra throughout their youth career.

That's a fair point and certainly something I'd like to consider.

He wont take that on board!

You're doing a great job waving those pom-pom's. Go back and give him a few more "thanks" and I'll soon start to feel really inferior.

You're doing a great job waving those pom-pom's. Go back and give him a few more "thanks" and I'll soon start to feel really inferior.

Yes you keep living in the world where you've made a coherent point. You seem happier there.

Yes you keep living in the world where you've made a coherent point. You seem happier there.

And you keep living in your world where you've made any sort of point. "Population is the key"

Speaking of which, how are China doing these days as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You're talking ****

No your talking ****

No look again your talking ****

No I'm right and your wrong

And so on etc etc ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Have the Faroes even been mentioned in the last 5 pages?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Have the Faroes even been mentioned in the last 5 pages?? :pac:

Well there is a lot of fishing going on in the last few pages

You're talking ****

No your talking ****

No look again your talking ****

No I'm right and your wrong

And so on etc etc ....

Yeah sorry lads. His lack of football knowledge is ignored from here on in.

Yeah sorry lads. His lack of football knowledge is ignored from here on in.

Good lad. Please save your pearls of wisdom on "population = success" for people more worthy of such insight.

Good lad. Please save your pearls of wisdom on "population = success" for people more worthy of such insight.

"Population equals success" has been disagreed with here:

2010 - Spain - 47 million
    2006 - Italy - 62 million
    2002 - Brazil - 196 million
    1998 - France - 65 million
    1994 - Brazil -
    1990 - Germany - 82 million
    1986 - Argentina - 41 million
    1982 - Italy
    1978 - Argentina
    1974 - Germany
    1970 - Brazil
    1966 - England - 53 million
    1962 - Brazil
    1958 - Brazil
    1954 - Germany
    1950 - Brazil
    1938 - Italy
    1934 - Italy
    1930 - Uruguay - just under 4 million

You were right, population has nothing to do with success :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"Population equals success" has been disagreed with here:

2010 - Spain - 47 million
    2006 - Italy - 62 million
    2002 - Brazil - 196 million
    1998 - France - 65 million
    1994 - Brazil -
    1990 - Germany - 82 million
    1986 - Argentina - 41 million
    1982 - Italy
    1978 - Argentina
    1974 - Germany
    1970 - Brazil
    1966 - England - 53 million
    1962 - Brazil
    1958 - Brazil
    1954 - Germany
    1950 - Brazil
    1938 - Italy
    1934 - Italy
    1930 - Uruguay - just under 4 million

You were right, population has nothing to do with success :rolleyes:

Great job of ignoring me and my lack of knowledge there. You lasted all of 16 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tone it down. That applies to everyone.

Great job of ignoring me and my lack of knowledge there. You lasted all of 16 minutes.

This is only going to get more and more petty as you clearly have nowhere left to go on this. And your lack of knowledge is hard to ignore, i'll be honest.

dfx- wrote: »
    Tone it down. That applies to everyone.

In fairness Mod, i have been warned about that post by 2 other mods. Surely the double jeopardy rule applies?

This is only going to get more and more petty as you clearly have nowhere left to go on this. And your lack of knowledge is hard to ignore, i'll be honest.

Once again, called petty and accused of having nowhere to go by the guy who has already resorted to using personal insults. Just step outside yourself for a second and see why that might possibly not be a fair reflection of events.

But thanks for being so honest. It does mean a lot to me.

• Advertisement

Once again, called petty and accused of having nowhere to go by the guy who has already resorted to using personal insults. Just step outside yourself for a second and see why that might possibly not be a fair reflection of events.

But thanks for being so honest. It does mean a lot to me.

I didnt say you were petty, christ, i said "This is going to get petty...." which is not a reference to you but to our conversation and is not rooted in the past but in the conditional future. Keep up

I didnt say you were petty, christ, i said "This is going to get petty...." which is not a reference to you but to our conversation and is not rooted in the past but in the conditional future. Keep up

How can a conversation be petty without having at least one petty protagonist? Were you implying that I'm responding reasonably and that you are the petty one in this for instance?

Also you didn't say it was going to get petty. You said it was going to get MORE petty, which puts a different slant on things.

Seeing as you're so fond of nitpicking and quibbling semantics I'd be genuinely interested to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

of course population isnt the only thing, is football one of if not the main sport in the country is the next main question! there are several other factors also, i.e genetic makeup of the countries. Why is New Zealand so good at Rugby with small population and why does Africa produce such good long in particular long distance runners etc...

every one of the countries in that table, has both a large population and soccer as one of the top if not the top sport in the country. With the exception of uruguay in 1938, who I believe hosted the tournament.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Don't suppose anyone has a link to "Away with the Faroes" - documentary RTE made on Brian Kerr as manager there.

Can't find it on RTE player or torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Club football is back this weekend, the last few pages of this thread was more about snide remarks and shots at users so closing this up before it continues going back and forward.

Ireland talk here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455049

trap talk here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056782675

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement