Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastro Pubs

Options
  • 16-10-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I would be interested to compile a list of gastro pubs in Dublin that serve a good quality carvery dinner.

The best I have come across so far is O'Neills on Suffolk St.
    The dinners are amazing in this pub, price range 11-12.50, approx 20 dinners to choose from with a good variety of sides, huge portions, very comfortable atmosphere, great pint of Guinness, big screen and great staff.

Notable mentions:
    Fagans, Drumcondra.
    Slatterys, Capel St.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Personally I wouldn't call a pub that does a carvery a gastropub. I've yet to find one thats actually nice, including in all the ones you have listed.

An example of a proper Gastropub for me would be the Exchequer or L Mulligan Grocers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm a fan of the Bull and Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

While Slattery's don't do bad pub food, it's still a bit over-priced for what they're giving you.

And they're certainly not a gastropub.

Mulligan's in Stoneybatter is miles ahead of them for variety and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Was down in WJ "Little" Kavanagh's on Dorset Street on Sunday night, owned by the same people as L Mulligan Grocers.

Food is as good as in Mulligan's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Des wrote: »
    Was down in WJ "Little" Kavanagh's on Dorset Street on Sunday night, owned by the same people as L Mulligan Grocers.

Food is as good as in Mulligan's.

Went there about two weeks ago and the food was divine! The black pudding won tons were unreal. We were kind of in a rush to get to the O'Reilly theatre around the corner so just ordered a few starters and they were very good at getting them out to us quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I wouldn't consider anywhere with a big screen TV to be a gastropub.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

OK, maybe what I'm asking for is not technically a "gastropub".

Basically, what pubs do the best food?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

O'Neill's is definately not a gastro pub.

Try the Bull and Castle, L. Mulligans, WJ kavanagh's, the Hole in the Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

adding the Tolka House to the mix........serious serious feed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jossnjuice wrote: »
    adding the Tolka House to the mix........serious serious feed.

really?? I havent eaten in there cos i thought the menu looked ****e and boring.

Might give it ago so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Tolka house is a very good carvery. The Autobahn, fagans and the yacht all do great food. Same owners. They own another pub but I can't think what it is. For some reason I'm thinking its the tolka house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Twee. wrote: »
    Went there about two weeks ago and the food was divine! The black pudding won tons were unreal. We were kind of in a rush to get to the O'Reilly theatre around the corner so just ordered a few starters and they were very good at getting them out to us quickly.
    Yeah, we went down on Sunday evening, didn't want dinner so we just ordered a starter each, and even though it wasn't on the menu, I asked for a selection of cheeses which the barman was kind enough to put one together for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

queing up to be served warm food from a bain marie never really appealed to me.
    i always find it quite bland.

the exchequer do a sunday roast which sounds delicious and seems pretty good value too.
    sunday_roast.jpg

l mulligans, bull & castle, brew dock, black sheep, kavanaghs, ATG would all do good food.
    the connection always to me seems pubs that care about their beer, also seem to care about their food.

o'neills have an ok "non carvery", as do the church, tp smyths, porterhouse and a few others. nice but nothing special.

Slunk wrote: »
    Tolka house is a very good carvery. The Autobahn, fagans and the yacht all do great food. Same owners. They own another pub but I can't think what it is. For some reason I'm thinking its the tolka house

Well the lads who own the Tolka, also own the Bleedin Horse if thats what you're thinking of??

irishbird wrote: »
    really?? I havent eaten in there cos i thought the menu looked ****e and boring.

Might give it ago so

Granted, not a mindblowing selection, but im basing it on Carvery alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

subway wrote: »
    the exchequer do a sunday roast which sounds delicious and seems pretty good value too.
    sunday_roast.jpg

You have to book in advance to be guaranteed a table on Sunday but it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

if you are talking pubs that specifically do carverys...

What about the two down near Heuston station. Ryans and the Nancy Hands on Parkgate street, is this stoneybatter technically? not sure.
    They are both very popular for Sunday carvery.

The Knighstbridge on Batchelors walk also does them.

Somone mentioned the Hole in the wall by the Phoenix park, but there is a pub almost opposite it that also does carverys.

liffeylite wrote: »
    Somone mentioned the Hole in the wall by the Phoenix park, but there is a pub almost opposite it that also does carverys.

That'd be Cumiskeys.

Advertisement