Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sminky animation fad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

MikeyS9607 wrote: »
    You know they DO check. And I'm sure when they were screening the video at YouTube to make sure it wasn't infringing copyright, they saw it didn't have what you flagged it for. That video is untouchable.

I feel sorry for whatever poor bastard has to wade through reported videos of "reviews". Must be some shítty fcukin job.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MikeyS9607

Mikey I see you like ponies, maybe ask Sminky man to animate one for you? Might change your mind like?? Whatever floats your boat

I like the new FiM cartoon. Not the older MLP stuff. And no, I don't want these amazing characters given obnoxious accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jazus, it's awful sad!

My favourite one! Sums up the Irish bettter than anyone ever could :D

Scioch wrote: »
    I feel sorry for whatever poor bastard has to wade through reported videos of "reviews". Must be some shítty fcukin job.

I agree. Or the amounts of gore, actual illegal content, actual violence ect. That gets Properly flagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Mikey you sound like you need some love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Shlow down Tommah!! You're going too fasht

I LOVE them. But I'm easily amused :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

What a load of ****e, seriously what's funny? I couldn't even force a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Scioch wrote: »

Well I supopse they could always walk around ih'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Try Toonboom. It might not be what he uses but its a pretty easy to use and a very good animation program with which you can easily make animations as such.
    http://beta.toonboom.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm from cork and I don't find them funny at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

C'mere to me. Whats the shtory with the red @rse?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I've noticed people talking like sminky shorts characters on nights out. A bit like everyone from Connaught suddenly picking up a Hardy Bucks accent (Shtory hi etc.) a while back and Limerick people using rubberbandits phrases all of a sudden!!

I like happy tree friends more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'm from cork and I don't find them funny at all .

You've cleared that up for me, I was beginning to think you had to be from Cork to find them funny.

Don't find them funny at all.

Reminds me of student humor , like in the 80's when we all went around quoting Viz !

Its a youth think, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He uses Adobe Flash. I hate the shorts to the point where I made a video criticizing them, and Sminky had it false flagged. The best part is I was able to counter claim, and the video is the first result after the shorts if you look for "sminky shorts" on YouTube.

You shure showed him boss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have no idea, but I think I'm the only person in the country who just can't stand them! I just don't get them at all!!

Ah Jays 'tis awful sad. AH 'tis awful sad.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    probably some type of flash program.

That's right that's right that's right that's right that's right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I swear to God, regardless of whether you find something funny or not, whoever came up with them has entertained at least a good few people.

Someone bothering to waste their time making a completely pointless video criticizing someone else's relatively original and harmless attempt to entertain people in a minute or less is beyond tragic.

I think this sort of rubbish is the worst element of the Youtube generation to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Ah Jays 'tis awful sad. AH 'tis awful sad.

That's right that's right that's right that's right that's right

Shit everywhere!!!

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I swear to God, regardless of whether you find something funny or not, whoever came up with them has entertained at least a good few people.

Someone bothering to waste their time making a completely pointless video criticizing someone else's relatively original and harmless attempt to entertain people in a minute or less is beyond tragic.

I think this sort of rubbish is the worst element of the Youtube generation to be honest.

No matter how good or bad it is, I always appreciate animation work on youtube because I know how much work goes into creating even the most simplest and crude looking animation.

Big budget animations you see on TV has a whole team of animators working day and night on very powerful computers and softwares like Maya to produce the slick looking animations. Like even the crude looking South Park has a huge team of animators working frantically on a supercomputer array to create the episodes. So for one person to creating something as simple as the sminky shorts animations is still a pretty good effort.

I'm not a big fan of the accents but they're funny and pretty well done animations and people seem to find them entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What's not funny about the Cork accent? Although the Dublin skanger goat is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It's 'funny' crap for boggers.
    I have literally no idea what they're saying most of the time. My friend (who thinks he can do bogger accents) keeps saying lines from them over and over again. I dont think we'll be friends for much longer :L

It's 'funny' crap for boggers.
    I have literally no idea what they're saying most of the time. My friend (who thinks he can do bogger accents) keeps saying lines from them over and over again. I dont think we'll be friends for much longer :L

Really? Literally no idea?

bgrizzley wrote: »

Really? Literally no idea?

The majority of it is honestly gibberish to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Leviosa

'A fine fella he was too'
    'thats right that's right that's right'
    'a lovely boy'
    'thats right that's right that's right'

Love them!!

2ndcoming wrote: »

Bothering? That review only took like an hour to make. Also online animation, even involving animals, isn't original and has been around long before YouTube - on Newgrounds. Scrotum the Puppy from the early 2000s, Retarded Animal Babies from 2003, HATE from 2001, Badly Drawn Dawg from 07, Duairt from 09, ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Scrotum the Puppy from the early 2000s, Retarded Animal Babies from 2003, HATE from 2001, Badly Drawn Dawg from 07, Duairt from 09, ect.

Do you have youtube videos reviewing these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The majority of it is honestly gibberish to me.
    Do you live in Ireland? Surely you've interacted with enough people to get some grip on 'bogger' accents. It seems like it'd take an artificial degree of social isolation to be that genuinely inexperienced.

Davidius wrote: »
    Do you live in Ireland? Surely you've interacted with enough people to get some grip on 'bogger' accents. It seems like it'd take an artificial degree of social isolation to be that genuinely inexperienced.

I live in Dublin and ive been in nearly every county and not once did I come across anyone that talks like that :L

I live in Dublin and ive been in nearly every county and not once did I come across anyone that talks like that :L

maybe they hid when they saw you coming:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

He uses Adobe Flash. I hate the shorts to the point where I made a video criticizing them, and Sminky had it false flagged. The best part is I was able to counter claim, and the video is the first result after the shorts if you look for "sminky shorts" on YouTube.
    That's kinda sad that you let something so completely harmless bother you so much even if it was only an hour. 90% of the Internet is sh*t, why would you spend your time “criticizing" it?

Your hour would have been better spent producing something better surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

"Oh lovely, you're from Dublin"

"Cock-a-bleedin-do"

"Oh lovely, you're from Dublin"

"Cock-a-bleedin-do"

that made me laugh harder than Sminky:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I suppose all those who say they don't find them funny probably find Dustin the Turkey funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

professore wrote: »
    I suppose all those who say they don't find them funny probably find Dustin the Turkey funny.

He had his moments but he outstayed his welcome.
    The Eurovision attempt was his pinnacle of cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't get the animations, hey're just not funny so I don't watch them. And no, I hate Dustin the turkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0929/1224324588684.html

Doubt he gives a fcuk what a load of plebs on boards think to be honest, he is signed to the same agency as Ricky Gervais now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Doubt he gives a fcuk what a load of plebs on boards think to be honest, he is signed to the same agency as Ricky Gervais now.

Fair play to him.

omahaid wrote: »
    Do you have youtube videos reviewing these?

I have given some of them reviews on NG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Do you do anything creative yourself or just pick holes in other people's output?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Whoever dares criticise them should have to post what kind of things they DO find funny. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

professore wrote: »
    Whoever dares criticise them should have to post what kind of things they DO find funny. :D

Dylan Moran, Stewart Lee, Monty Python, Black Books, Spaced, that kind of thing.
    They're very low brow. Trying to lampoon Irish character is grand but the only Irish character in these is a bit of a Cork accent mixed with a really poor skit. That's the whole thing.
    Each to their own but I don't think they're funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Read about these sminky cartoons and I had to go and google and check out youtube. Are they supposed to be funny? They are not. I watched one and didn't find it funny so then watched another to see if I find the humour in another but I didn't. Then I watched another and another and more and they are not funny. I fail to see where the comedy is in them. They're dry.

There is one of these cartoons on the telly advertising a film week in Cork and the ad got something right - there's two men on a bench and it protrayed the elder as a pretentious, snobby cock but far from funny it is. It's a number one up on youtube. How?

Sky King wrote: »
    Do you do anything creative yourself or just pick holes in other people's output?

I've been making Flash long before Sminky made it big. The whole "accent" thing isn't enough to make an animation good. A ****ing mouse saying that's right isn't funny. The Cock a doodle doo one is just a bunch of heavy chav talk and is downright unwatchable.
    I also want to point out Sminky's attempted censorship of my video(s) criticizing him. Not so much of a good guy, now is he? One I got back up, the other is still down because some jackass flagged it as "bullying, threatening, or harrasment". None of which it was. Because he couldn't handle some guy on the internet criticizing him.
    For he record, I DO live in Cork. I get the concept. It just so happens that IT'S NOT FUNNY. So I also have to endure knackers quoting Sminky constantly, but that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Its a simple minded humour, for simple people imo, not in the least bit funny. Slapstick at its worst. Aimed at country people with very sheltered lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

reginald wrote: »
    Its a simple minded humour, for simple people imo, not in the least bit funny. Slapstick at its worst. Aimed at country people with very sheltered lives

Slapstick is physical comedy. Sminky shorts is verbal comedy. What was that about being simple?

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Slapstick is physical comedy. Sminky shorts is verbal comedy. What was that about being simple?

Turtle falls into a water. Goat hits tree. Very basic ****. Doesn't make it any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Turtle falls into a water. Goat hits tree. Very basic ****. Doesn't make it any better.

You're just jealous that he's being signed and you've done f*ck all.
    Though you could make funny some clips with your hysterical voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Have to agree with posters above, there's not a lot going on there.
    Mario Rosenstock/Gift Grub has done the Cork accent schtick before but in a cleverer way. It's all in the writing, damn hard to make stuff funny consistently.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You're just jealous that he's being signed and you've done f*ck all.
    Though you could make funny some clips with your hysterical voice

There are better, more successful animators to be jealous of. Like Lauren Faust, Egoraptor, Adam Phillips.
    Why would I be jealous of Sminky being owned and controlled by someone else, while I can make whatever I please.
    With that logic, you should be jealous of ME. For the little I DO make off animation is more than you do (for animation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I've been making Flash long before Sminky made it big.

I think we found the source here. You've probably been at this a while with little or no success wheras people have identified and through social media popularised the Sminky Shorts. Its not to everyone taste but its popular, look at Mrs. Browns Boys or Kilinascully, I don't like them but someone does. You need to just accept this.

Best of luck with in your video making hobby, maybe one day you'll make it big like Sminky but begruding him his success and scouffing at his animation and content won't do you much good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement