Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 to PR questions

Options
  • 16-10-2012 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey,

Want to ask a question about visas and cannot see it flagged in any of the posts I have looked through...

I'm lucky enough to be sponsored by work on 457 since May. Had a quick chat with my boss recently about residency and he said to look residency options since I don't have lafha.

From searching online immi.gov.au it seems I cannot apply for a permanent visa until I have been working with company 2 years on the 457 (may 2014). Is this correct?

Also as I read this, if I change jobs I will have to be with an employer 2 years before I can apply, the 457 time does not carry?

Are there any other residency paths open to me?

Thanks for any advice- know I'm lucky to be on the 457 just if opp is there for a more secure visa be mad not to at least check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can apply at anytime if you can obtain a relevant skills assessment, otherwise you are subject to 2 years with an employer then be sponsored for ENS with same employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

You can apply for the ENS 186 if you a skills assessment and proof of 3 years full time experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

statina wrote: »
    You can apply for the ENS 186 if you a skills assessment and proof of 3 years full time experience
    is that working qualified for 3 years too? for example im doing car mechanics for 5 years but 4.5 was the apprenticeship phase.

As far as I know, it's 3 years full time work after you are fully qualified. Not fully sure though, maybe ring DIAC for clarification

No need it's all in booklet 5 page 20

Criteria specific to the Direct Entry stream

If you apply for an ENS or RSMS visa through the Direct Entry stream, you will be assessed against the following additional criteria:

• you must be less than 50 years old when you lodge your visa application, unless you are exempt from meeting this requirement.
    • you meet the skill requirement for the visa category that you are applying for, or are exempt:

– If you are applying for an ENS visa under this stream you need a satisfactory skills assessment from an Australian assessing authority which is specified for your nominated occupation and you have at least 3 years of post-qualification work experience in your nominated occupation.

– If you are applying for an RSMS visa under this stream you need to have qualifications and skills relevant to your nominated occupation. If you are nominated to fill a trade occupation and possess overseas qualifications or rely on work experience, you must have a satisfactory skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority unless you are exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

coldpaw wrote: »
    From searching online immi.gov.au it seems I cannot apply for a permanent visa until I have been working with company 2 years on the 457 (may 2014). Is this correct?

Two years with the employer on a 457 just means you can skip the skills assessment and go via Employee transition scheme. You'll save some money, and may get processed faster, but it's not a requirement.

You can apply for the same ENS visa now if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Mellor wrote: »
    You can apply for the same ENS visa now if you wish.
    Do you mean you can apply while within the two years with your employer, have it pre approved to take effect from when your two years are up?

catbear wrote: »
    Do you mean you can apply while within the two years with your employer, have it pre approved to take effect from when your two years are up?

I think he means you can apply at anytime for an ENS visa as long you have 3 years post-qualification experience and are able to obtain a relevant skills assessment.

The difference between going direct ENS rather than General skills migration is that you don't need to lodge an EOI.

You couldn't be pre approved as the 2 years on a 457 is in lieu of a skills assesment, only when you have achieved those 2 years and the employer still wants to carry on with ENS would you qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »

You can apply for an ENS at any time if you qualify. You don't need to be working for the business. You be apply from Ireland for example.

Its nothing yo do with a 457 really. Once granted, you basically have PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated.

I think im getting a better idea - I can still look for PR on the ENS without 2 years on the 457 with the company. What the catch is that I would need to undertake a Skills assessment from 'an Australian assessing authority which is specified for your nominated occupation' and have 3 years work experience. My degree is not specifically related to what I do now but I have the work experience.

So its a skills assesement and then my company can nominate me for the ENS visa ?

Am I correct on this- dont want to get my hopes up too much yet but it seems like there is at least some hope there anyway!

• Advertisement

Yeah thats pretty much it. A skills assessment usually takes 12 weeks to come through.

Advertisement