Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity messed up my Account Bord Gais Disconnection Notice

Options
  • 16-10-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Have I any grounds for a case here -

Have been with Airtricity for Gas and electricity for over a year and a half. Moved house in March and rang Airtricity with the GPRN and MPRN numbers of the new house and also a meter reading.

In the meanwhile unknown to us the letting agency had signed us up with Bord Gais for just Gas.

I signed up for direct debit and e-statements for Airtricity so I just see an amount leaving my account once a month.

In April I get a bill from Bord Gais , so give them a ring an tell them Im with Airtricity and can they cancel my account as I never choose to go with them. My airtricity contract was for 1 year plus cant remember what exact term.

Then I get another bill in July or so from Bord Gais , I just ignore it assuming its an admin mistake. Then this month I get a disconnection notice from Bord Gais with a total of 389 euros on it . so ring them up , some guy goes theres a problem with your account I'll call back. No call back. Then I rang yesterday and got someone different. She asked me to check if I deffo have a gas account with Airtricity.

So this morning I ring Airtricity and start off by asking do I have a Gas and Elec account, she says yes , I say whats my gas balance and she goes , oh there is a problem with your account when we tried to register you in April it failed. She said they tried to call by got no answer but didnt leave a voicemail or write a letter to say they arent charging me for gas.

So it turns out all the bills i have been getting and ignoring as I thought I was with Airtricity have been proper bills and am in arrears for 389

I have no problem paying my bills but this is a bit of a lump sum to get stung with when I believed I was paying for gas/elec direct debit every month with airtricity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Did you noot notice you weren't paying/receiving any bills from airtricity during this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Did you noot notice you weren't paying/receiving any bills from airtricity during this time?

I was though ,thats the thing , I was paying X amt out direct debit every 2 months which turned out to be just for electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

cookie1977 wrote: »
    As he said, he was receiving bills from Airtricity.
    Only for electricity, but he was.
    True, he should have checked and realize there was no charge at all for gas, but he had direct debit and probably did not check the bills.
    In any case, if I were you, I would called Bord Gias and explain the situation, and if you are polite, they would probably drop the disconnection notice, then pay bord gais the arrears, and should discuss it with airtricity so they give you a discount for a while in order to pay for the disconnection / mess up. Nothing to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

contact Bord Gais and make some arrangement to pay off the arrears over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

^^ This. Board Gais are probably one of the better service companies to deal with. They will set you up with a manageable plan. Just don't bury your head in the sand,. This ain't going away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I am a landlord. Just this morning I tried to register a new tenant with Airtricity. I was told I couldn't and that the instruction had to come from the tenant.
    So did the letting agency have any authority to sign you up with Bord Gais in the first place without your permission. I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dario28 wrote: »
    I was though ,thats the thing , I was paying X amt out direct debit every 2 months which turned out to be just for electricity

Yes but did you not notice you had no bill for gas from them since March???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Yes but did you not notice you had no bill for gas from them since March???
    He say no as thought it would be on a single statement (I don;t know the last time I looked at a utitility staement - once the amount seems right, I assume its ok)

However, the error was ignoring the July bill from bord gais - this should have given you some concerns and got you to check.

If any of the servcie suppliers are to blame its aritricity as they failed to carry out your initial instruction and never informed you that it failed. (claiming they rang you is a red herring)

Advertisement