Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving at night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I reckon about 0.1% of the population realise that if you put lots of heavy shit in the boot, it makes dipped headlights point more upwards. and even at 0.1% I feel i'm being generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I reckon about 0.1% of the population realise that if you put lots of heavy shit in the boot, it makes dipped headlights point more upwards. and even at 0.1% I feel i'm being generous.

I apologise for the times I do, my car doesn't have one of those headlight adjusters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I wonder how many people are being dazzled by their own filthy windscreens rather than the lights of an oncoming car.
    I'd say quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

BX 19 wrote: »
    I apologise for the times I do, my car doesn't have one of those headlight adjusters :D

What car have you got?

CiniO wrote: »
    What car have you got?

MK1 Clio. It probably can be adjusted manually but I'm not arsed whipping out a screwdriver and adjusting the beam every time I have a passenger in the rear.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are being dazzled by their own filthy windscreens rather than the lights of an oncoming car.
    I'd say quite a lot.

+1, A clean windscreen, both sides helps a lot. They even demist quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BX 19 wrote: »
    Little of column a and a little of column b, I think.

Some HIDs/LEDS are silly bright on dips and many others have a gimped up HID conversion in reflector headlamps. Or those silly blue bulbs. I'm now seeing green bulbs which are as equally bad. Must be the new fad.

A pet hate of mine: HID's in reflectors. Not just any HID's I only see either blue ones or worse, yellow ones. Never white. How much of an arse does one have to be to use HID's in reflectors?

At least when I had HID's I had them in projectors and beamed correctly. Never flashed or blinded anyone (unless they didn't dip :rolleyes: then they got the full beams back)

Another craze I'm starting to see become popular are yellow lights. Fine if beamed correctly but they're not half the time and I know from using them just how blinding they can be!!!

I genuinely love yellow lights, I just hate how some people use em :mad:

dgt wrote: »
    A pet hate of mine: HID's in reflectors. Not just any HID's I only see either blue ones or worse, yellow ones. Never white. How much of an arse does one have to be to use HID's in reflectors?

At least when I had HID's I had them in projectors and beamed correctly. Never flashed or blinded anyone (unless they didn't dip :rolleyes: then they got the full beams back)

Another craze I'm starting to see become popular are yellow lights. Fine if beamed correctly but they're not half the time and I know from using them just how blinding they can be!!!

I genuinely love yellow lights, I just hate how some people use em :mad:

The fogs on my clio are yellow for some reason, not sure if they were painted or OEM.

I love the yellow lights, nothing better then an old frenchy car fitted with them, looks the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

Last time when i was driving home at 10pm there was a taxi driver with high beam lights on, when i flash him to remind him about them he turned off all lights. That was a real idiot.

My way to work is about 2.5km and nearly everytime i see someone with light off when is realy dark outside, rear fog light on when is no fog, stop light are not working, indicators are on 2km before he/she turning. The worst are drivers with only one working light because i never know if that's a car or bike.

What does the law say about driving on high beam lights on in city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

People have been ranting, rightly, about idiots not dipping, etc. The other extreme are those idiots/scrooges who drive with just parking lights on.

Elsewhere, the fact that cyclists are a category of road user whose deaths are not decreasing in Dublin city is no surprise. bad enough when bikes are badly lit (or worse unlit). However, even unlit bikes often have front and rear reflectors which will show in dipped beams.

But cars with just parking lights on will not see a reflection on a bike, adding to cyclists' dangers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement