Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne cable bridge

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Just heard that the louth councilors voted on this last night and it was passed. So the boyne cable bridge will be changing to mary mc allese bridge.

What do people think about this?

I know the first thing that pops to my mind is, there are a lot more important things that the money could be spent on instead of I feel wasting money on the changing a bridge name. I don't see why they have to waste money on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The Mary Mc aFleece bridge? did i hear you right lad?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Ohh did Louth Co.Co's toys make their way back to the pram then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I like the idea and sentiment of paying tribute to the efforts of the last president. Not sure what costs/monies are involved in changing the name of that Boyne Cable Bridge? I never knew the name before yesterday.

I think the Mary McAleese name would be better put to the proposed bridge at narrow water on Carlingford Lough linking the north and south!

More appropriate in all ways!

The boyne cable bridge however does need a name change. It is a louth landmark and its current name is unoriginal, non-thought provoking, quite uninteresting and completely unsuitable for this county!

A Louth landmark which is 80% in Co.Meath!! :D
    I think it's a very appropriate name, considering it's location which spans the battle fields of a conflict which still resonates with Catholic/Protestant communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

kormak wrote: »
    A Louth landmark which is 80% in Co.Meath!! :D
    I think it's a very appropriate name, considering it's location which spans the battle fields of a conflict which still resonates with Catholic/Protestant communities.

i dont know why anyone from meath would want a name change, I think the current name obviously suits Meath, as per my original comment...! ;)
    ...!:p

• Advertisement

i dont know why anyone from meath would want a name change, I think the current name obviously suits Meath, as per my original comment...! ;)
    ...!:p

Wait a minute... was it not Meath Co.Co who motioned the name change in the first place??
    And then Louth Co.Co weren't notified and had a hissy fit!!
    I don't think Meath people care what name it is... just the fact that Louth GAA have on of their structures as their county crest! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If Mary McAleese is to have a bridge named after her (and that's probably not a bad idea), it would be much more appropriate to choose the proposed Narrow Water bridge linking Louth and Down (ie the Republic and the North).

Edit: I just reread and realised this was said before. So maybe I should just have said "+1"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

What did she do to deserve a bridge being named after her? Should have picked a national hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Wait a minute... was it not Meath Co.Co who motioned the name change in the first place??
    And then Louth Co.Co weren't notified and had a hissy fit!!
    I don't think Meath people care what name it is... just the fact that Louth GAA have on of their structures as their county crest! :confused:

Louth GAA removed the Boyne cable bridge from their crest a couple of years back because most of the bridge was in County Meath.
    Louth gaa have a new crest now

My tuppence worth is that it should have been left as the Boyne bridge as it signifies the general area for tourism , both Louth and Meath.
    Or as another poster said, a national hero or somebody who has contributed a lot more to Ireland society and history than Mary Mcaleese.
    Good president, but arent they all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

So a bridge with a bit in Meath and a bit in Louth has two councils looking to change its name.

As all the bridge is in Drogheda then surely Drogheda corporation has the say - don't they want to keep it as the Boyne cable bridge (or the Boyne Valley bridge) as Andrew mentioned above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I fully agree with the above posters, That naming the new bridge that is going to be built linking down and louth a much better idea. I still cant see why it has to be changed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

I hate these commercial and political re-namings .....

The Point Depot and Lansdowne Road will always remain the same in my mind.

I always thought tagging George Best on to the name of an international airport was daft.

I can't think of any conceivable reason for renaming the Boyne Cable Bridge .... it's just daft.

I'd have no problem with any name given to the new Louth/Down bridge.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    So a bridge with a bit in Meath and a bit in Louth has two councils looking to change its name.

As all the bridge is in Drogheda then surely Drogheda corporation has the say - don't they want to keep it as the Boyne cable bridge (or the Boyne Valley bridge) as Andrew mentioned above

Last time I checked the bridge was in Oldbridge... which is not Drogheda.
    Gateway and even symbol to Drogheda yes... but it's not in Drogheda!!
    (ps. don't start quoting postal addresses! lol)

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Louth GAA removed the Boyne cable bridge from their crest a couple of years back because most of the bridge was in County Meath.
    Louth gaa have a new crest now

So they do and a fine crest it is too... but is that not a Kildare symbol?? :D
    <joking>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

So they do and a fine crest it is too... but is that not a Kildare symbol?? :D
    <joking>

Tut tut Kormak you wum :p. St Bridgids cross was always the Louth Gaa crest until change was made for the sake of change* (wont go into the ridiculous detail) which is exactly what is happening here. Meath Co Co should know better as if im not mistaken Kells changed to Ceannais Mor and then back again as tourism was lost due to Ceannais Mor no longer being associated in the tourist mind with the Book of Kells. Dingle to An Daingean and back also, as nobody knew where or what An Daingean was. Drogheda Corp did propose to name a street in Drogheda after Bill Clinton cause he flew over the town on the way to Dundalk (i kid you not as i was present at the meeting) so silly naming of places is not new.

As the Boyne valley is a major historical site of international interest the the bridge crossing it should be associated with the area ie The Boyne Cable Bridge!!! (or William III Bridge....kidding)

If ye were going to name it after somone who made such a massive contribution to peace and reconciliation more so than President McAleese; also deceased Mo Mowlam is worthy of such a gesture, hence perpetuating a peace process with the gesture of having an ex Westminster MP being honoured in and by the Republic of Ireland. Alas i feel this would be a bridge too far for some - so I say leave it as it is!!

*Kildare were very quick to pick up the St Bridgids cross when Louth County Secetary...i mean County Board stupidly dropped it briefly. Good to see it back and in the new interpretation.

Louth is "the land of legends" I think it would be cool to see some Cuchullain or the Black Bull of Cooley emblazoned on the County Crest. I know it features in some of the arm strips on some jerseys but it should be more a focal point than the cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

My tuppence worth is that it should have been left as the Boyne bridge as it signifies the general area for tourism , both Louth and Meath.

This tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Last time I checked the bridge was in Oldbridge... which is not Drogheda.
    Gateway and even symbol to Drogheda yes... but it's not in Drogheda!!
    (ps. don't start quoting postal addresses! lol)

Check again then , although it crosses the county border and is in Meath Oldbridge is in Drogheda . Address is Oldbridge , Drogheda Co Meath .. Its funny the way people who live on the outskirts of Drogheda over the meath border will say there from Drogheda to other people around the country but will deny it to other Drogheda people ! :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Have they explained why they are changing the name?

Onesimus wrote: »
    Have they explained why they are changing the name?

Changed the name, unfortunately.

It's now, according to the Drogheda Leader, The Mary McAleese Boyne Valley Bridge.

Apparently this name is 'the best of both worlds' and was argued over by councils.

Is the bridge not belong to a private company (hence the tolls to use it)? If I recall correctly, the bridge was never named and just got the name 'Boyne Cable Bridge' from the general public?

I don't see why they couldn't just leave it that way. We're gonna have plenty of presidents, we don't need to name something after each of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Very simply, the councils concerned oughtn't to be renaming a bridge after someone living. That's not really a done thing, is it? To me, it will always be the Boyne Cable Bridge, as that's what it was known as when it was built (in my lifetime).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its too much of a mouthful to be honest.
    The Mary McAleese Boyne Valley Bridge? By the time you say all that, you will have driven all the way across the thing!

I'm still sticking to simply to "the Boyne Valley Bridge". I think a lot of people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm very surprised people actually care. It's a fine bridge, serves a great service and acknowledges an absolute lady who was our president.... How bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm very surprised people actually care. It's a fine bridge, serves a great service and acknowledges an absolute lady who was our president.... How bad?

I think they could have called it The McAleese Bridge if they had to pick a shorter, easier name.
    The honouring of her would still be capable to do - and of which I don't have any argument about.

Check again then , although it crosses the county border and is in Meath Oldbridge is in Drogheda . Address is Oldbridge , Drogheda Co Meath .. Its funny the way people who live on the outskirts of Drogheda over the meath border will say there from Drogheda to other people around the country but will deny it to other Drogheda people ! :confused::D

Don't go qouting postal addresses... and you just couldn't help it!
    I know it's postal address has Drogheda in it.. so too does Dowth and parts of Monasterboice... that doesn't mean they're in Drogheda??! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Don't go qouting postal addresses... and you just couldn't help it!
    I know it's postal address has Drogheda in it.. so too does Dowth and parts of Monasterboice... that doesn't mean they're in Drogheda??! :rolleyes:

It means they are part of the greater Drogheda area does it not ? Just because you say dont go qouting postal addresses dosent mean they are not . How are thye not part of the greater drogheda area ?

It means they are part of the greater Drogheda area does it not ? Just because you say dont go qouting postal addresses dosent mean they are not . How are thye not part of the greater drogheda area ?

Sorry, but that's just nonsense! Dowth is probably around 7 miles away from Drogheda.
    We were talking about a symbol for the town of Drogheda and now you’re quoting “Greater Drogheda”
    Sure why not throw in Newgrange or the Hill of Slane as a symbol… where does it end?! :rolleyes:
    Anyway, this is running off topic somwewhat…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

What did McAleese do to merit a bridge being named after her? President for 14 years and didn't have any major gaffes or fcuk ups?
    She did fcuk all for the peace process. The likes of Bertie and Haughey, arseholes, did far far more than she ever did.

GRMA wrote: »
    What did McAleese do to merit a bridge being named after her? President for 14 years and didn't have any major gaffes or fcuk ups?
    She did fcuk all for the peace process. The likes of Bertie and Haughey, arseholes, did far far more than she ever did.

She brought the Queen over... and then said WOWWW! when her h-anus said "a Uachtarain agus a Chairde"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Boyne Cable Bridge sounds just fine to me. Or lets change it to "Boyne cáble le pont", might help with tourism. ;)

Advertisement