Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank & increased TRS, anytime soon ?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Originally it was meant to be applied in the final quarter but the recent computer problems have obviously set that back again.
    Has anyone been given a definite date for the application of the increased TRS ?.
    Do we expect them to return this years overpayment or to hold it as an overpayment on the mortgage account ?.

I used to be with First Active before they were swallowed back up & they used retain any similar overpayments, you had to write a letter to claim the money back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

i expect them to refund it. After they reduced the SVR in July and didnt apply it until this month they swallowed up the backdated reduction.

If I write a letter to them will they return it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

peteb2 wrote: »
    i expect them to refund it. After they reduced the SVR in July and didnt apply it until this month they swallowed up the backdated reduction.

If I write a letter to them will they return it to me?

I have called 3 times since April. The last call was a month ago. They said they HOPE to have it sorted by end of year 😳 but The extra TRS will be refunded so hopefully a nice Xmas bonus but I'd have my doubts. It's not good enough really.
    In writing a letter of complaint ....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

I rang the UB yesterday about this very topic... It's seems We will have to wait until MARCH 2013!!!!!!!

I rang the Revenue after that... Spoke to a really nice girl who checked with her Supervisor.. The official line is that the Revenue are currently working with the UB with the aim of providing a lumpsum refund in December for 2012, with the introduction of the revised TRS being implemented in March 2013, at which point Jan13 and Feb13 will be refunded! She did confirm that this was not guaranteed!

I also asked if there was any danger that UB would take what they owe us off the Capital instead of taking it off the December mortgage payment and she advised that this would be an issue for UB!!

I hope the above makes sense!

I rang the UB yesterday about this very topic... It's seems We will have to wait until MARCH 2013!!!!!!!

I rang the Revenue after that... Spoke to a really nice girl who checked with her Supervisor.. The official line is that the Revenue are currently working with the UB with the aim of providing a lumpsum refund in December for 2012, with the introduction of the revised TRS being implemented in March 2013, at which point Jan13 and Feb13 will be refunded! She did confirm that this was not guaranteed!

I also asked if there was any danger that UB would take what they owe us off the Capital instead of taking it off the December mortgage payment and she advised that this would be an issue for UB!!

I hope the above makes sense!
    It's not really theirs to take .....ill be calling again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

km79 wrote: »
    It's not really theirs to take .....ill be calling again next week

im not sure you understood what was meant above..

so, if UB make a lump sum payment in December to cover the extra 5% for the rest of the year, it will be separate from the normal December Trs payment, thus meaning that it will not reduce the December payment, which would have been great.
    But, this will mean that it is sitting as a credit on the account, and you will be entitled to this TRS lumpsum back into your current account.

this is what was meant above.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »

im not sure you understood what was meant above..

so, if UB make a lump sum payment in December to cover the extra 5% for the rest of the year, it will be separate from the normal December Trs payment, thus meaning that it will not reduce the December payment, which would have been great.
    But, this will mean that it is sitting as a credit on the account, and you will be entitled to this TRS lumpsum back into your current account.

this is what was meant above.
    So how would ya get it back into current account and when ?

so lets say they lodge the extra trs to the mortgage.
    the easiest thing would be send a letter to refund the money to the bank account that the direct debit is paid from.
    send the letter as soon as you know about the trs lump sum.

so lets say they lodge the extra trs to the mortgage.
    the easiest thing would be send a letter to refund the money to the bank account that the direct debit is paid from.
    send the letter as soon as you know about the trs lump sum.
    So what you are saying is that if people don't so this it will just "rest" with ulster bank ?
    Thanks btw for the info. Ill be doing that

So what you are saying is that if people don't so this it will just "rest" with ulster bank ?
    Thanks btw for the info. Ill be doing that

you will get alot of people who will not bother to withdraw the money.
    it will sit on the mortgage thus reducing the amount of interest charged.

I myself will be withdrawing it.
    it's my christmas fund.

and in relation to TRS, it is amazing the amount of people who are entitled to trs that do not claim it.
    either because they think the bank does it for them or they just dont realise.

so to everybody, if you know anybody who has a mortgage, ask them, do they get trs, and if they say yes, tell them to ring revenue on 1890 46 36 26 with their pps number to make sure.

It was in the indo today. This years total shortfall will be a single credit against the mortgage before the end of the year. New rate should be sorted early next year.
    So pretty much what was outlined by people above

• Advertisement

doesn't leave them much time to do it then. Only two more repayments before the year end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

So just to confirm, if we want to get this money before the end of the year we need to:

1. Keep an eye on our mortgage account and wait for the 5% additonal credit
    2. Once the credit is applied request in writing to the bank that it be transferred to the current account where the direct debit is taken from

As far as I'm aware if it goes past the year each individual person will have to claim the 5% back directly from the revenue themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

So just to confirm, if we want to get this money before the end of the year we need to:

1. Keep an eye on our mortgage account and wait for the 5% additonal credit
    2. Once the credit is applied request in writing to the bank that it be transferred to the current account where the direct debit is taken from

As far as I'm aware if it goes past the year each individual person will have to claim the 5% back directly from the revenue themselves.

1. yes
    2. yes

3. no, Ulster Bank will make sure that the extra 5% will be applied to the mortgage account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Cheers rameire, thanks for the clarification.

In relation to the scenario that the 5% credit is not applied for 2012 and the tax year ends, the bank will still apply the 5% credit for the entirety of 2012 and not just from the start of 2013?

If that's the case then great! (well it's not great that it's come to this, but ya know).

Correct. They will.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

So just to clarify..... Can we ask (in writing) to have the lump sum refunded to us (via our account the DD comes from) ?

yes, yes you can.

yes, yes you can.
    Should we do this now ?

nope, not worth it, as you will probably just get a letter telling you about the 30% trs issue.

by all means write the letter, stick it in an envelope and have it ready in the car or house so you can post it as soon as it is noticed the trs has been credited.

if you have an account and mortgage with UB and you use online banking, you will see your mortgage account online also, when the trs is credited you will see the credit on the account, if not somebody here, maybe me will post up that the credit has been applied, then send the letter in.

• Advertisement

nope, not worth it, as you will probably just get a letter telling you about the 30% trs issue.

by all means write the letter, stick it in an envelope and have it ready in the car or house so you can post it as soon as it is noticed the trs has been credited.

if you have an account and mortgage with UB and you use online banking, you will see your mortgage account online also, when the trs is credited you will see the credit on the account, if not somebody here, maybe me will post up that the credit has been applied, then send the letter in.
    Been using ulster bank online banking for 7 years. Same time as I took out mortgage with them and I NEVER thought to add the mortgage account on it to view. Thanks for that :)

if not somebody here, maybe me will post up that the credit has been applied, then send the letter in.

That would be great, thanks :)
    I dont have access to view my account so will be relying on word of mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Been using ulster bank online banking for 7 years. Same time as I took out mortgage with them and I NEVER thought to add the mortgage account on it to view. Thanks for that :)
    How can you add the the mortgage account. Do you have to contact the guys in Online banking or can it be added manually from the website?
    Tks
    K

Mine just popped up online during the year.
    You would need to be using online banking for a bank account already.
    I believe each customer has a unique reference, and this reference would need to be the same for all accounts for them to show up. If it is not there already I would say contact your local branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chops82

I just spoke to Ulster Bank, they will be sending a letting out to all giving the option of either getting the money refunded into your account or taking it off the sum of the mortgage. She told me there was no need to send a letter to them now to wait until they issue the letter on December.

Chops82 wrote: »
    I just spoke to Ulster Bank, they will be sending a letting out to all giving the option of either getting the money refunded into your account or taking it off the sum of the mortgage. She told me there was no need to send a letter to them now to wait until they issue the letter on December.

Thanks. I was just too lazy to do the same. :pac: :D

Anyone any update on this ???? Anyone received a letter? Any idea wen we will? How long will refunds take to be processed? How can we find out exactly how much wer owed?
    Maybe I'm just being too anxious but I guarantee if we owed the bank money they wouldn't take this long about it :(

didn't you see the indo today? They will write out before the end of the year. but they won't have it corrected until at least March 2013. So they will then have to make a further payment to account for the 3 months in 2013 when they coudnt correct it.

Anyone any update on this ???? Anyone received a letter? Any idea wen we will? How long will refunds take to be processed? How can we find out exactly how much wer owed?
    Maybe I'm just being too anxious but I guarantee if we owed the bank money they wouldn't take this long about it :(

Read post #26..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 crispy69

Advertisement