Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Places For Coffee Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

I am looking for some cool bars/coffee houses/cafe-bar type places around Dublin city centre. Somewhere which:

-Comes with plenty of comfortable seating, as in, you will be basically guaranteed a seat on a weekday - i.e. not a small coffee shop type place where you pick up lunch and leave, etc

-Nice area of Dublin (thinking either Temple Bar or South William st area)

-May or may not be an actual coffee place (as in, a bar or cafe-bar is also cool).

I was thinking 3FE or The Bald Barista might be cool, but have never been in either, so not sure how busy they get or how comfortable they are, etc.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Accents Coffee and Tea lounge is pretty cool. Its on Stephens street / up near Bia Bar at the top of South William Street etc. Lots of Sofas etc...(It opens til 11pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Accents Coffee and Tea lounge is pretty cool. Its on Stephens street / up near Bia Bar at the top of South William Street etc. Lots of Sofas etc...(It opens til 11pm)

Perfect mate :) I actually heard of that place and it sounded v cool, Dublin badly need a late-night coffee place! Didn't realise it was up right beside South William street, so this might the the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If you want decent coffee in Temple Bar, then Roasted Brown in FilmBase on Curved Street is good. They use Has Bean coffee, same as 3FE, and it's usually comfy and quiet, opens late too. Pleasant lads run it.

http://www.facebook.com/RoastedBrown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

3FE for me, on abbey street. Lovely coffee, and nice staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

3FE in the Twisted Pepper
    3FE by Grand Canal
    Roasted Brown in Temple Bar
    Tamp & Stitch in Temple Bar (Slightly small)
    The Fumbally by St. Patricks Street
    Clement & Pekoe on South William St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I was thinking 3FE or The Bald Barista might be cool, but have never been in either, so not sure how busy they get or how comfortable they are, etc.

Cheers!

I go for a sit down coffee and read in the Bald Barista once or twice a week. Never had an issue finding a seat. They have a few couches which are very comfortable. 3fe's coffee is amazing, always had it to go, but the few times I've been there there's been free seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I highly recommend the Fixx cafe on Dawson Street though you pay city centre prices. They make an amazing cappuccino with a web of chocolate sauce as well as a flat white along with tasty locally sourced breakfast and lunch snacks. Their setup includes both tables and what I call comfy chairs, though I find it difficult to drink a cup of coffee without spilling when in a lounge chair. Free Wifi is also available which is sometimes hard to find. The only problem I run into is sometimes their choice of music is not conductive to working (think AC/DC at 10am).

Another top choice is the Art of Coffee who employ barista champions in latte art - always a perfect cup! Their cozy Grand Canal Dock location has some but not an abundance of seating and their new Harcourt location has many more tables. It is quiet in the morning but it may get busy over lunch - I usually go there early morning.

What I love about Dublin is the huge abundance of coffee shops all across town with few major chains. The quality and friendly service may vary but there are so many good choices for me in Dublin 4/2/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The cafe upstairs in Tower Records is lovely and very good value.

Busyfeet and Coco on Sth William is a constant.

Foam Cafe over on Strand St (the road that crosses through the Italian qt is brilliant, as is Brother Hubbard on Capel st - not cheap but some of the finest food in the city and both have very cool interiors, totally different from one another but both brilliant.

Had coffee from The Humble Bean on Georges St recently and it was beautiful, they have a sign outside that claims The Lonely Planet lists them as having the best coffee in the city.

Murphys ice cream on Exchequer st does HasBean coffee (and the finest Irish ice cream you could ever want), they also do amazing hot chocolates, one of my favourite spots in the city, for sure.

I totally agree with ScottSF, my favourite thing about Dublin is the fact that you can eat and drink your way around the city, without needing to visit a big chain coffee shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Bald Barista gets my vote, I go there frequently and have never had an issue getting a seat and the coffee is great. Really relaxed atmosphere, and I also love Aungier Street so I may be a bit biased because of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

tfak85 wrote: »
    The cafe upstairs in Tower Records is lovely and very good value.

Busyfeet and Coco on Sth William is a constant.

Foam Cafe over on Strand St (the road that crosses through the Italian qt is brilliant, as is Brother Hubbard on Capel st - not cheap but some of the finest food in the city and both have very cool interiors, totally different from one another but both brilliant.

Had coffee from The Humble Bean on Georges St recently and it was beautiful, they have a sign outside that claims The Lonely Planet lists them as having the best coffee in the city.

Murphys ice cream on Exchequer st does HasBean coffee (and the finest Irish ice cream you could ever want), they also do amazing hot chocolates, one of my favourite spots in the city, for sure.

I totally agree with ScottSF, my favourite thing about Dublin is the fact that you can eat and drink your way around the city, without needing to visit a big chain coffee shop!

One of my favourite things about ireland as opposed to the uk. So many more independents here. The only real chain dominated industry is retail. But even so there is more independent choice in dublin than anywhere bar london. Cafes, restaraunts and pubs are for the most part novel and independent. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DCT12

Have to agree with people saying Bald Barista, lovely coffee too.

Bia bar on stephen's street is a good one too. Its more a bar than a café, but its usually quiet and has free wi-fi! Comfortable couches too.

Must try this hot chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Accents gets my vote as the couches are brilliant. Anywhere also match here for comfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

alastair wrote: »
    If you want decent coffee in Temple Bar, then Roasted Brown in FilmBase on Curved Street is good. They use Has Bean coffee, same as 3FE, and it's usually comfy and quiet, opens late too. Pleasant lads run it.

http://www.facebook.com/RoastedBrown

Agreed. The staff in there are really friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

3FE in Twisted Pepper, Amir's Delights in Italian Quarter, Brother Hubbard on Capel Street are all good!

Advertisement