Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Trip Insurance with VHI

Options
  • 16-10-2012 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

God forbid if there is an accident or injury in the US when I go over for a week and a half this Thursday, would it be best to take out some multi-trip insurance with VHI? Has anybody taken it out? I have worldwide cover with VHI which is up to €100,000. I know medical cover is high in the States but is it worth it for peace of mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes it is worth taking out a real policy which has a much higher limit for medical treatment and possibly medical evacuation back to Ireland. If you have to spend a few days in a hospital in the US and your treatment involves any kind of surgical treatment, that €100,000 will be soon eaten up and you will potentially be stuck there, not quite fully recovered and with no way of getting home short of someone ponying up the 10K or so it will cost to get you home via medivac.

In fairness to the VHI, I believe they do say that the cover for foreign trips incorporated into their domestic policies should not be seen as a substitute for proper travel insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You should certainly take out additional travel insurance, from whatever company offers the best deal to match your travel plans for this and future trips. Annual cover is often cheaper than single trip insurance but it is worth shopping around.

For the US you should have at least $1,000,000 in health cover and it's important to ensure your policy also covers repatriation (hopefully you won't need it but it's vital if you are seriously ill or break a bone and have trouble travelling, and God forbid, but also essential, for flying home remains of those who pass away on holidays)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Cheers. I did it today. Have peace of mind now:). It also covers if flights are delayed or if anything is stolen or if I have passport problems

Advertisement