Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitten peeing in the house

• 16-10-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

We have our kitten 6 weeks now. He sleeps in the shed at night (cat flap and warm bed.) We had a litter in the utility, but we have a two year old lad who is drawn to it, so we had to remove it.

We would like to have our kitten in the house for periods during the day, but he has taken to peeing on the bean bag, and sometimes pooing in a certain spot behind the couch. (Tiled floor!)

Anyway, if we can't stop him peeing I'm afraid he's gonna have to go. Any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

So do you have any litter for the kitten to pee on when he is in the house? You can get covered litter trays with a little flap so that should keep your child away from the litter.

Once they pee somewhere - even if you wash it they can still get the scent - therefore will keep going in the same place. You should be able to buy some products in the pet shop to stop this.

How old is he? I would suggest that you don't really let him outside until he is neutered - all it takes is one stray female and then there are hordes of poor unwanted feral kittens around.

I hope this helps - we had a few mishaps with our three year old female when she was little, but she was very fussy about the type of litter we used! All ok now with all 4 of ours - they generally are very clean animals to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

He's only a baby!! Give him a chance. Six weeks isn't very long to toilet train a cat. I've had three, and they were relatively quick to train, but it still takes time.

Why can't you put his litter tray in the shed? Doesn't make sense to have the tray in the utility, and him sleeping elsewhere. You'll also have to teach your toddler NOT to go near the tray!

Put the tray back in the shed - in another corner from his bed. Take the kitty over to it at regular intervals, and rub his paws gently on the litter. He'll soon get the idea, but it needs patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

To be fair you cant really have a kitten and not have a litter tray for them without expecting accidents. When our cat stopped going in the house altogether when he was about eight months we got rid of the tray only keeping it in case we were going to be gone all day and the cat was in because it would be unfair of us to expect him to hold it in. We have a five month old kitten who has a tray and when she is big enough to be neutered and going outside I hope to get rid of the tray again but if she doesnt learn to go outside Im not going to get rid of her if you get a cat you know they need a litter tray. Could you not put the litter tray out of reach up in the bathroom? Whatever your kitten has been going on put outside or get rid of it because if they have gone there a few times they develop a habit for it and will keep doing it. Have you put a litter tray outside or in the shed so the cat can get the idea to go outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My cat is now three years old and would still have an accident in the house if I didn't keep an eye on him!! You need a litter tray! Your cat sounds young and it's unfair to expect him not to have accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Thanks - the kitten is five months now, and is only in the house for a couple of hours at a time. He does have a litter tray in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

five months is very young to be outside and most cats even outdoor ones are allowed sleep in the house a shed wouldnt be much comfort in the winter maybe given all that and the fact you dont want a litter tray in the house you could try rehome him. I dont think its the best solution but if your already fed up better to do it while he is still a small cute kitten as it is harder to rehome adult cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Thank you, Ameee. I hear your concern and appreciate it. Perhaps we should re-evaluate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gillo206

Hi
    Its good to have the litter tray where the cat sleeps and I hope he can get to it at all times.
    We have two 2 house cats,who spend a few hours out but for the most they are indoors,I think over the year we 2 accidents :-)
    Good luck with your Kitten but you will need to be patient regarding the litter tray.I think you got plenty of advice from the posts above :-)

Advertisement