Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

social science

• 16-10-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi guys

is anyone studying or know anyone studying social science?

if so could you tell me what the course is like? if you enjoy it? what the hours are like? etc. i know that theres information on the ucc website about the course but i want to get a students point of view. Im in UL at the moment and hate my course but am thinking about applying for social science next year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hummingbird1

just graduated from social science in ucc. i hated the course so i will be a bit anti it. there is no dicipline. hours depend on your subjects. i picked the subjects with the least classwork and most assesments so i was doing maybe 15 hours until december and 6 for the second semester. the information is exactly right. the one thing i will say are the lecturers are brilliant(well some of them) we got to know them and they helped us as much as they could there was nothing some of them wouldn't do for us.

hope that helps. pm me if you want more specific info

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

It is really a gateway to a master's degree. Not many jobs around for graduates of just social science. The course is pretty interesting and not too difficult. The lecturer's basically give you the questions for all the exams you will be doing. Not too many hours! maybe 16 a week. Always finished early or have no classes on Friday. I know people who went to one or two days of college and came out with a 2:1. I'd recommend it if you plan on doing a masters related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Murfus

Im studying social science, Im in 1st year. Overall I like the course. Workload manageable, hours ok (Only two 9 O clock starts, one lecture friday, 2pm starts on thursdays), subjects do-able. etc. In 1st yr you study Philosophy, sociology, social policy, psychology and Economics. Economics grand up until x mas. Social policy is a bit boring..rest of the subjects are interesting! Psychology and Philosophy may be hard to get your head around at frist but they're ok. So far I have had aobut 6 essays to write, I reccommend being decent enough at English. I have an Ordianry Level A2 in the LC and thus, my essays aren't really up to a very high standard.
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Proka18

Hi,
    Thinking of doing social science in UCC next year, would be grateful for any info on the placement involved in this course,can you go abroad/how long? etc.
    Also, is there an even balance of males:females in this course?:cool:
    Interested in History too but unsure about Arts. thanks in advance!

Unfortunalty there isn't much work experience. There is an optional placement module but you have to do it during the summer, not during term time! Social science is very theory based! Therefore, if you're interested in a more practical element of social science, the course in CIT, social care, would be better. (they have between 4-10 weeks work experience each year)

Social policy is history based. It's all about the development of the welfare state throughout the decades, and the establishment of laws etc. if you're into history, you'l find this module interesting and grasp it easier!
    Hope this helps :D

• Advertisement

sound for that! .. And the placement can be abroad? I think Id prefer this one to social care as Im not too interested in being a social care worker/ social worker. Social Policy sounds good tho, thanks :)

just graduated from social science in ucc. i hated the course so i will be a bit anti it. there is no dicipline. hours depend on your subjects. i picked the subjects with the least classwork and most assesments so i was doing maybe 15 hours until december and 6 for the second semester. the information is exactly right. the one thing i will say are the lecturers are brilliant(well some of them) we got to know them and they helped us as much as they could there was nothing some of them wouldn't do for us.

hope that helps. pm me if you want more specific info
    juust wondering what career path have you chosen since completing this course? :)

Ya I think you can do placement abroad..not sure though? I want to do social work (2 year masters) To answer your previous question about gender balance, IT'S ALL GIRLS!!! Between 10 and 30 boys..out of 200!

Murfus wrote: »
    Ya I think you can do placement abroad..not sure though? I want to do social work (2 year masters) To answer your previous question about gender balance, IT'S ALL GIRLS!!! Between 10 and 30 boys..out of 200!
    and is arts the same gender wise?

Advertisement