Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social science

Options
  • 16-10-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi guys

is anyone studying or know anyone studying social science?

if so could you tell me what the course is like? if you enjoy it? what the hours are like? etc. i know that theres information on the ucd website about the course but i want to get a students point of view. Im in UL at the moment and hate my course but am thinking about applying for social science next year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi there

I'm in my final year of the Social Science degree.
    The course basically allows 6 modules from Sept to Christmas followed by Christmas exams and in janurary you do another 6 modules with exams in May.
    With each module you generally have 2 lectures a week, some modules like Statistics (which is mandatory) also have a tutorial and perhaps a computer lab too - so its between 12-14 hours lectures a week.
    At the moment I have Wednesdays off, and after Christmas I will have Mondays and Wednesdays off.
    Its a fantastic course and learn about all the policies that have been implemented in Irish Society that affect peoples lives. I'm doing Crime and social Justice module at the moment and wouldn't miss a lecture its so interesting. There is some monotonous lectures too where its like pulling teeth, but just gotta get on with it!! The level of teaching is fantastic, but there is a lot of reading required as with any degree I suppose.
    I don't intend to progress on to the Masters in Social Work however there are many other career areas to progress into like HR, Policy analysis, Crime etc
    If you've any more questions just PM me, i'll try to answer them but good luck with your decision in the meantime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fefe0390

hi

im thinkin of doing this course next year too and was a bit worried but you have just reassured me so thanks :)

Advertisement