Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange upgrade

Options
  • 16-10-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I'm building a house in the country the address is Rathmore , Athboy, Co. Meath
    I'm not sure where the exchange is but I'm fairly sure its not on any list to be upgraded.
    So my question is: Where is the exchange and is it possible to pay for the upgrade myself to get it done quicker.

Regards
    Gary

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This has been known to happen, it used to be c.€100k cash to get an exchange upgraded in a reasonable sized village in the mid decade 00's or a cab into a new business park.

If you are along/near a main road getting a modern VDSL cab dropped in will likely cost you in the range of €40-50k if fibre exists at that location and potentially much more if not.

Look here first > http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

In each case you will need to approach a senior eircom wholesale person in Dublin to see if they will do it and haggle from there on. Customer services sell and support systems that already exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Farrgar

Cheers for the help Sponge Bob,

I'll have a look at the link and see what I can get eircom to knock off the price.
    There's a lot of young farmers in the area so I might have a chance to raise the cash.

It's a bit sad really, 30 - 40 miles outside the nations capitol and the line is 2mb. :confused:

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Farrgar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm building a house in the country the address is Rathmore , Athboy, Co. Meath
    I'm not sure where the exchange is but I'm fairly sure its not on any list to be upgraded.
    So my question is: Where is the exchange and is it possible to pay for the upgrade myself to get it done quicker.

Regards
    Gary

Hi Gary

Would it be possible for you to PM me a neighbours telephone number or a telephone number close by to your house so I can give you an indication of where the exchange is. There is no guarantee that broadband will be available in your house until the line is install and tested. However I will be able to give you some information depending on your neighbours lines.

Regards
    Linda

I sent you on that Number Linda, cheers for the help

This map will show the exchange area

http://goo.gl/maps/sYjjy

• Advertisement

Yip I'm boned, I'm 4500 meters from the 2mb exchange as the crow flies

Either you move or else the exchange must.

Not too shabby, there is fibre along the N51. Are you located near (sub 1km) one of the green eircom roadside cabinets by any chance.??

I'll have to have a look and see where they are Sponge Bob, I'm close to the N51 but to get to where the house is u go up 1 lane and down another.

Advertisement