Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changes in VRT

• 16-10-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

I was at the NCT centre yesterday to re-register a car, and i was told that in the next budget, the VRT is going up 20%. Anyone else heard this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You mean vintage VRT to €240? Or just 20% being added to every VRT rate chargeable?

I find it hard to believe someone working in an NCT centre knows in October what the Finance Minister is going to do with very specific rates in December.

I say unfounded rumour. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Dades wrote: »
    You mean vintage VRT to €240? Or just 20% being added to every VRT rate chargeable?

I find it hard to believe someone working in an NCT centre knows in October what the Finance Minister is going to do with very specific rates in December.

I say unfounded rumour. :)

Apparently it would apply to ALL VRT, not just vintage.

Normally i'd agree with you regarding the unfounded rumour bit, but i found it a bit strange that he would mention this to me in conversation. He also seemed to be confident that this was happening, that's why i put it out there to see if anyone else heard about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

2cv wrote: »
    I was at the NCT centre yesterday to re-register a car, and i was told that in the next budget, the VRT is going up 20%. Anyone else heard this?

What exactly is going up 20%, I don't think the government would want that or the Irish car sales industry would allow that given their sales are in free fall unless it's just on second hand imports.

Also I think it would reduce the overall VRT revenue because it would seriously reduce the amount of vehicles bought new or imported second hand which would outweigh the 20% rate increase revenue generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

bbsrs wrote: »
    What exactly is going up 20%, I don't think the government would want that or the Irish car sales industry would allow that given their sales are in free fall unless it's just on second hand imports.

Also I think it would reduce the overall VRT revenue because it would seriously reduce the amount of vehicles bought new or imported second hand which would outweigh the 20% rate increase revenue generated.

Never stopped the govt. shooting themselves in the foot before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

he might have gotten his wires crossed and its motor tax thats going up !!!

motor tax is in for a shake up ,and soon you will be able to tax your car at your local post office !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Capri wrote: »
    Never stopped the govt. shooting themselves in the foot before :D

Agree!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

unless it's just on second hand imports.

I don't think that is permitted. Has to be all registrations or no registrations doesn't it? :confused:

Anyway I'm very doubtful of the precision of the figure, but I'll lay some money down on VRT rates for emissions bands being "shifted" and motor tax going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

manta mad wrote: »
    he might have gotten his wires crossed and its motor tax thats going up !!!

He might have been talking sh!te. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

macplaxton wrote: »
    I don't think that is permitted. Has to be all registrations or no registrations doesn't it? :confused:

Thats correct, the only way they can get away with VRT at all is to have it across the board, as discrimination against certain imports over others is against EU law.

I can see motor tax getting a hike, alright.

Though it doesn't take some guy in an NCT centre to know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

soon you will be able to tax your car at your local post office !

And about bloody time too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

soon you will be able to tax your car at your local post office !

I always tax my car at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

unkel wrote: »
    I always tax my car at home :)

I used to too but home printed discs didn't last as well as the real thing.............:)

http://www.autotrade.ie/index.php/big-vrt-rise-and-new-number-plate-system-on-the-way/1498

Mmmmmm........ why do the government lsqueeze the motorist so much , easy target but it's getting out of hand. They used to hide behind green this green that, reduce emissions , save the environment . Buy a greener car get cheaper tax and 3 years down the line we'll sneak it back up again removing all incentive to buy greener ( all apart from lower relatively lower vrt rate ) . If I could do without my car I would but that would mean giving up work so it's not an option .If there was a reasonable public transport system they could justify the constant pick pocketing of the motorist but there isn't . Bloody barstewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

http://www.autotrade.ie/index.php/big-vrt-rise-and-new-number-plate-system-on-the-way/1498

Mmmmmm........ why do the government lsqueeze the motorist so much , easy target but it's getting out of hand. They used to hide behind green this green that, reduce emissions , save the environment . Buy a greener car get cheaper tax and 3 years down the line we'll sneak it back up again removing all incentive to buy greener ( all apart from lower relatively lower vrt rate ) . If I could do without my car I would but that would mean giving up work so it's not an option .If there was a reasonable public transport system they could justify the constant pick pocketing of the motorist but there isn't . Bloody barstewards.
    Maybe we should lobby for a refund on our green vehicles,i have no problem with a 1 or 2% annual increase in road tax ,but 50% + another 20% + is taking the piss,it definately wont entice new car buyers,so before you know it,there will be no new car dealers left.
    once an adult twice a child or so it seems ?

salysol wrote: »
    Maybe we should lobby for a refund on our green vehicles,i have no problem with a 1 or 2% annual increase in road tax ,but 50% + another 20% + is taking the piss,it definately wont entice new car buyers,so before you know it,there will be no new car dealers left.
    once an adult twice a child or so it seems ?

They always tax the easy options , anything motoring related , cigs , alcohol, fuel in general.

Carbon taxes , what a joke when the the rest of the world outside western Europe is doing very very little to reduce carbon emissions .
    Africa , China , Asia , South America and north America polluting more than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes i think cheap tax on low emissions cars will go away when we can al afford to be driving cars that have low emissions.
    it seems to just be an insentive to sell more cars and make the tax loss back on the vrt they get.

mad that we have to pay tax on 2nd items we bring into the country, just because they are cars.

mad that we have to pay tax on 2nd items we bring into the country, just because they are cars.

That's why it's not called duty or VAT, but a registration tax ;-) just another smart way of avoiding EU rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's why it's not called duty or VAT, but a registration tax ;-) just another smart way of avoiding EU rules

+1

Introduced by Bertie himself when he was Finance Minister

Ireland is not alone with this tax that goes against the spirit of the EU. The Netherlands have a similar tax called BPM and there are other countries too.

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Introduced by Bertie himself when he was Finance Minister

Ireland is not alone with this tax that goes against the spirit of the EU. The Netherlands have a similar tax called BPM and there are other countries too.

True.

In Belgium you pay VRT every time you register a car to your name, be it new or second hand. So if a car changes owner 5 times, the government collect VRT 5 times. So i guess we shouldn't complain too much :D

• Advertisement

True.

In Belgium you pay VRT every time you register a car to your name, be it new or second hand. So if a car changes owner 5 times, the government collect VRT 5 times. So i guess we shouldn't complain too much :D

Is the VRT in Belgium a flat rate admin charge like a change of ownership charge? Or is it set as a percentage of the cars value?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Yep, and they wonder why some people use green diesel. They take with one hand, we take with the other.

The motorists get screwed over because everyone in this country is a complete ****ebag and wont stand together and tell them to fcuk off. For years motorists have been complaining about the exact same things, dribbeling on and on, but in the end, you all pay up, and they know it.

For years motorists have been complaining about the exact same things, dribbeling on and on, but in the end, you all pay up, and they know it.

I agree, but what is the alternative?? Public transport? Don't make me laugh, public transport in this country is a joke. Honestly, i was in South Africa earlier on this year and all i can say is that Ireland (one of the wealthiest countries in the world) could learn a lot from South Africa (a very poor country) when it comes to public transport!

:D:D:D

The industry also seen the serious worry that it has about a ’13′ number plate damaging new car sales next year removed.

From January the designation ’131′ will replace the potentially damaging (economically) ’13′ plate, and in July next year, there will be a second plate change introduced. It will be designated ’132′.
    Really? I can only shake my head at this one.

Advertisement