Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Religion Threads

Options
  • 16-10-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭

Why don't these threads ever get get moved to their rightful place instead of cluttering up AH? It seems clearcut to me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They are never started with any sort of sincerity. Which would be out of place in any forums set up for religious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

They're not even "Religion" threads mostly.

They're catholic church bashing threads. Its very monotonous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's getting to be a boring yawn-fest at this stage, or I wouldn't have started this thread. I don't give a toss what anyone believes or doesn't believe in, and those threads are a bundle of superiority complexes all fighting it out amongst themselves.

They're sucking the life out of AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It used to be a lot worse a few months back, but they are never far from the surface.

I for one can think of no reason of merit as to why anyone would start one in After Hours.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It used to be a lot worse a few months back, but they are never far from the surface.

I for one can think of no reason of merit as to why anyone would start one in After Hours.

Any old thread never seems to get more than a few posts in before someone finds a way of getting it in that they're an atheist.

• Advertisement

What I cant understand is, if a thread was started "informing" us of a misdeed of a Muslim cleric, would it be allowed to run? I doubt it.

Chucken wrote: »
    What I cant understand is, if a thread was started "informing" us of a misdeed of a Muslim cleric, would it be allowed to run? I doubt it.

If it were allowed to run, it wouldn't be too long before someone posted the usual stuff about organised religion getting away with murder, flying spaghetti monsters and the sky fairy.

I'm looking forward to the annual poppy thread just to break the monotony.

'Cos church bashing shows how cool you are? :cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They're not even "Religion" threads mostly.

They're catholic church bashing threads. Its very monotonous at this stage.

In fairness there are loads of threads giving out about Islam. The reason there seems to be so many threads about misdeeds of Catholic clergy is because these misdeeds are far more relevant to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Why don't these threads ever get get moved to their rightful place instead of cluttering up AH? It seems clearcut to me.

...theres one on the front page. I'd suggest you're overreacting.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ...theres one on the front page. I'd suggest you're overreacting.

That's just part of the epidemic that's been going on for a long time, and as I've already said, the subject matter makes its way into other threads as well. I don't think that I'm the only one noticing it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You could say that about most thread is AH.
    They could all be moved somewhere else....
    AH is like the pub, a bit of everything is discussed in there.
    You are not required to open the thread if it holds no particular interest to you.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You are not required to open the thread if it holds no particular interest to you.
    How long would a thread stay open about Trappatoni and tonights match or GAA ?
    How about the goings on in Fair City or what was discussed on Friday's Late Late Show?

These topics would be discussed in a lot of pubs but would receive short shrift from AH mods who would tell the OP to try the relevant forum.

mackg wrote: »
    In fairness there are loads of threads giving out about Islam.

Where are these loads of threads?

Beruthiel wrote: »

A pub is usually the place where politics and religion are banned from discussion.

Most of the stuff that would be discussed in a pub gets moved out of AH on the whole (sport, celebrity rubbish, TV programmes etc).

Opening a thread is a risky business if you want to avoid talk of religion and atheism, because the subject in general seems to crop up in the most unlikely places.

A pub is usually the place where politics and religion are banned from discussion.
    Have you first hand experience of this??
    I have nor anyone that I know have never been instructed by the management what I may or may not converse about in the pub.

That's just part of the epidemic that's been going on for a long time, and as I've already said, the subject matter makes its way into other threads as well. I don't think that I'm the only one noticing it.

"epidemic" me arse. You get the odd cluster now and again like you do on every other subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Where are these loads of threads?

Virtually anything Taliban related gets turned into an Islam thread. Then you have the threads about Muslims unwillingness to integrate into society.

Politics and religion are not topics I post much in but there is such a variety of topics in AH it doesn't bother me.

If half the front page was taken up with these topics maybe that could be considered a problem but as it is I'm not seeing one.

Have you first hand experience of this??
    I have nor anyone that I know have never been instructed by the management what I may or may not converse about in the pub.

Only in some pubs for hard-cases in the UK where knives are optional.
    "epidemic" me arse. You get the odd cluster now and again like you do on every other subject.

It looks epidemic to me and induces sleeping sickness. Perhaps you don't find it boring enough to be put off by it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The discussions that happen in AH regarding religion (or nearly any topic for that matter) would be locked pretty quickly in any of the dedicated forums.

I always thought the whole point of AH was to have a place where the rules & expections regarding the level of discussion aren't as stringent. If someone has a problem with religious threads they should just ignore them.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The discussions that happen in AH regarding religion (or nearly any topic for that matter) would be locked pretty quickly in any of the dedicated forums.

I always thought the whole point of AH was to have a place where the rules & expections regarding the level of discussion aren't as stringent. If someone has a problem with religious threads they should just ignore them.

That's why I never visit the Religion & Spirituality fora.

When the door-knockers arrive I can tell them to feck off, but I'd get banned if I were to try that here. I steer clear of the God-Squad and the Anti-God-Squad in everyday life, and it's getting more difficult to do the same here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That's why I never visit the Religion & Spirituality fora.

When the door-knockers arrive I can tell them to feck off, but I'd get banned if I were to try that here. I steer clear of the God-Squad and the Anti-God-Squad in everyday life, and it's getting more difficult to do the same here.

There's a war coming, a clash of ideologies if you like. The righteous against the might just. Choose... carefully ;)

It looks epidemic to me and induces sleeping sickness. Perhaps you don't find it boring enough to be put off by it.

I generally don't get involved. With some effort on your part, you do the same - just don't open the thread. Don't read it, don't post in it. I managed it for the now locked one. Just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

IMO, boards.ie mostly consists of Atheists.
    and being honest, i think there is a few mods who dont become impartial when a good religious-bashing thread happens in AH.

IMO, boards.ie mostly consists of Atheists.
    and being honest, i think there is a few mods who dont become impartial when a good religious-bashing thread happens in AH.

Oddly, I often feel it consists mostly of religious folk. Usually posting on forums about gay marriages :confused:

I generally don't get involved. With some effort on your part, you do the same - just don't open the thread. Don't read it, don't post in it. I managed it for the now locked one. Just say no.

I don't generally get involved either, but have problems when I open a thread on another topic, only to find someone spouting on about atheism when it's of no relevance to the discussion.

It's no different to the situation when a Mormon for instance, walks up to you in the street and asks what you think of Jesus. The last time this happened was when I was walking up a main street carrying a piece of furniture that I'd just bought, and the fuckwit assumed that I was going to stand there listening to him for an hour.

I don't generally get involved either, but have problems when I open a thread on another topic, only to find someone spouting on about atheism when it's of no relevance to the discussion.

It's no different to the situation when a Mormon for instance, walks up to you in the street and asks what you think of Jesus. The last time this happened was when I was walking up a main street carrying a piece of furniture that I'd just bought, and the fuckwit assumed that I was going to stand there listening to him for an hour.

...then report the eejit for hijacking the thread/being off topic or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

They're sucking the life out of AH.

I would not agree. They become the most popular threads which somewhat make a mockery out of this one.

Anyway, it would IMO, be better to scold the old farts that continually turn innocent threads with a religious theme into outright religious threads.

Eh, where?

Does remind me, one time in London (circa 2002/03) we were talking about the possibility of a war in Iraq. In the pub. And the girl I was talking with (another immigrant, like me but not Irish) said "you're in London, now. You don't talk about politics, religion or sex."

I said "Darlin, I'm from Ireland and that's all we talk about in the pub" ;)

• Advertisement

...ye don't talk about sex in the pub? Good jaysus......

Advertisement