Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to mark a 45degree angle on a 6"pipe

Options
  • 16-10-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I have a 6" 6 1/2" pipe 3mm thick that i need to mark to cut at 45 degrees. any idea's how to mark it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

patdahat wrote: »
    I have a 6" 6 1/2" pipe 3mm thick that i need to mark to cut at 45 degrees. any idea's how to mark it?
    Are you welding 2 pipes @ 45s? If so i'd weld on flanges to the ends and use an elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Mark the angle on a piece of wood, cut that and use it as a guide to cut the angle on your pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

elastic band at an angle? mark the high and low points on opposite edges and trace the band

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Do you own any of the triangles that you get for tech graph etc, one of them with a long steel ruler and you could mark off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

how is your tech drawing? you could develop it out on the flat. Any half decent tech drawing book will show you how. Even easier in autocad and printed one to one. A bit like this

Elbows-For-Round-Pipes-Pattern-For-Round-Pipe-Cut-3.jpg

Cut the shape developed out, wrap it around the pipe and it will give you a 45 degree angle.

simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

Thanks for all the tip's I was talking to a lad today and told me about placing the pipe into water at 45 degree's (with set square tied onto pipe) mark the line of water and cut, well after that I went ahead and done it perfect job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

patdahat wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tip's I was talking to a lad today and told me about placing the pipe into water at 45 degree's (with set square tied onto pipe) mark the line of water and cut, well after that I went ahead and done it perfect job.
    Very good. I was going to suggest using a projector :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What about a miter box?

Advertisement