Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on new machine

• 16-10-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I was hoping some of the experts in here might be able to give some advice on this. My Gaggia Classic has developed an odd problem where the water flow stops once it heats up. It pulls a shot fine in the first minute or so but any longer and nothing happens. Once it gets to that point, it wont work again until its cooled down full.

Its probably either the boiler or somethng electrical so Im concerned a service might not be worth it.

I drink a lot of coffee at home, mainly from the Classic or brewed in an aeropress. I have all the basic elements of a good espresso routine - measuring, timing, good grinder, etc - but Ive never gone any further with modding my machine other than adjusting the OPV valve.

However, now that I may have to replace the Classic, I think this might be a good chance to take things to the next level. Ive always been interested in a PID but I have no electrical experience at all so Ive been wary of doing that. So, I was wondering if I should:

1. Trade in my Gaggia for a new one (which will cost me about 200 euro).

2. Buy a Gaggia or Silvia that has been pre-modded - like something from Hightechespresso in the States (are there any similar services in the Europe that mod new machines?). (probably more lke €350 second hand or €600 new)

3. Buy a more expensive machine like the Fracino Cherub.

What do you think? Is the extra expense of the Cherub justified? Does it really add value for someone like me who's interested in coffee and willing to put some (but not unlimited) extra time in to making better shots?

Advertisement