Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken Fillet Roll Vs Doner Kebab

• 16-10-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

I know neither of the above would be considered to be good for a healthy and balanced diet however I'm wondering which is the worst calorie / fat wise.

Chicken Fillet Roll:
    Cuisine De France style deli roll with breaded chicken 'fillet', butter, lettuce, tomato, onion, taco sauce.

Doner Kebab:

Homemade bread (like you would get with a schwarma, i.e. not pitta), kebab meat, onion, lettuce and sauce (garlic mayo type thing).

So which comes out on top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭banquet

Zaytoon beats them both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Both equally shi.te and full of carbs/fats/salts etc.

Very easy to make a much healthier version by substituting certain ingredients that's just as tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would think the chicken roll is worse, more calories and more bread. However they are both pretty bad so it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know neither of the above would be considered to be good for a healthy and balanced diet however I'm wondering which is the worst calorie / fat wise.

Chicken Fillet Roll:
    Cuisine De France style deli roll with breaded chicken 'fillet', butter, lettuce, tomato, onion, taco sauce.

Doner Kebab:

Homemade bread (like you would get with a schwarma, i.e. not pitta), kebab meat, onion, lettuce and sauce (garlic mayo type thing).

So which comes out on top?

I know you've already mentioned how bad they are both, but I must say that if you're looking to lose weight, have some common sense and eat neither. Have instead a salad with chicken breast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The lesser of the two evils for me is the Doner Kebab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A healthy and balanced diet would allow you to absorb a greasy, calorific kebab or chicken roll occasionally without noticing it. If you are trying to lose weight, the kebab but only just. IMO the best kebabs are quite spicy, a rare find in this neck of the woods(even the turkish ones have pickled cabbage in them :eek: !). Look at the ingredients of a kebab and make your own. Off the top of my head:

1 teaspoon of olive oil,
    1 chili
    1 chicken breast
    half an onion chopped
    handful of lettuce or anything else you want in your kebab
    Some light mayo

Cover the inside of a wok with the oil and lightly fry the chicken strips, chop up the chili into small pieces and add it, throw in the bit of lettuce and stir around, serve on a warm plate with a dash of light mayo or light garlic mayo. Consume.

If you are asking about a post Friday night splurge of drinking and merriment, one less drink(beer / wine) covers the difference between the kebab and the chicken roll.

However, the chicken roll was at one time one of my lunchtime staples so I suspect its lunch you are asking about. There was me paying Jackie Skelly great sums of money to run on a treadmill and I was adding to the problem in the Spar on Barrow Street everyday.

Try to have a decent breakfast, and maybe bring something with you for lunch, even 3 times a week and make the kebab / roll a treat 2 days, would mean some kind of reduction.

Whats your favourite meal or favourite food? Figure out a way to make it waistline friendly, and then you get to eat it as much as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

yes as mentioned already both are sh%te and not good for ya but every now and again its no probem if diet is decent already and treat it as a treat basically.

not sure myself which is worse but id agree whats been said as when i used to work in an office years ago there was this aul one that balooned in weight even though she was overweight anyways. but what i did notice is that she had the same crap everyday for luch which was a roll. the type of rolls you have with chicken fillet. and that was 5times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What amazes me most is that mountians of chicken fillet rolls are sold every day in spars and centras across the country and they are worse for you then a kebab! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

What amazes me most is that mountians of chicken fillet rolls are sold every day in spars and centras across the country and they are worse for you then a kebab! :eek:

I don't know how people get any work done after having them for lunch. I'd be asleep under my desk for the afternoon if I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I thought kebabs were the worst possible junky item, I have seen tales of kebabs with two days worth of carbs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would think the chicken roll is worse, more calories and more bread.
    Depends on the size of them. I would guess the ones I would get in zaytoon would have more calories than the typical "spar roll".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Surely a chicken fillet roll can't be THAT bad for you, especially if you don't swamp it with mayo and so on? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Was all rady to have a Zaytoon today, you have spoiled it on me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Surely a chicken fillet roll can't be THAT bad for you, especially if you don't swamp it with mayo and so on? No?

Processed bread roll = very bad ~ 500 cals
    Breaded processed chicken = bad ~ 400 - 500 cals

Then add any one of your usual toppings, breadcrumbs, cheese, mayo, dressing, and your looking at a 1500 calorie meal of shiit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

How about replacing the roll with a wrap ? and no cheese / mayo / butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Korvanica wrote: »
    How about replacing the roll with a wrap ? and no cheese / mayo / butter.
    It's basically as healthy as the food that goes into it. Improving the meat, brad, sauce has a direct effect. Same for a kebab.
    In australia, kebabs from take aways are very different to home. Grilled Chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion and chilli sauce is the standard one. Pretty good as far as fast food goes, as long as its a sensible size.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Mellor wrote: »
    It's basically as healthy as the food that goes into it. Improving the meat, brad, sauce has a direct effect. Same for a kebab.
    In australia, kebabs from take aways are very different to home. Grilled Chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion and chilli sauce is the standard one. Pretty good as far as fast food goes, as long as its a sensible size.

Yeah I used to eat a gyro with all the trimmings without bread every day for lunch.

Nice lamb, loads of fresh salad and a bit a tzatziki, it was lovely.

Advertisement