Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth unlocking an iPhone 4 before selling it

• 16-10-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I have a spare iPhone 4 that the kids have been using since I upgraded - its literally mint condition & now they're both asking for iPod touches for Christmas, am thinking of selling it.

Just wondering if its worth getting it unlocked prior to selling ? Does it make much of a difference in the price people are willing to pay ?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

only worth more if its factory unlocked,

but if its on jailbreakable firmware that's an advantage also, anybody thats slightly tech savy would be able unlock themselves then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would say so since your buyer can be from any network then.
    If a phone is locked to Meteor and I have 3 I'd just continue looking.
    It could be free for you now to get it factory unlocked anyway. Ask your provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

biko wrote: »
    I would say so since your buyer can be from any network then.
    If a phone is locked to Meteor and I have 3 I'd just continue looking.
    It could be free for you now to get it factory unlocked anyway. Ask your provider.

That's interesting as its locked to O2 & the only reason it's not used is because I upgraded to the 4S when I got my upgrade through. Ill do some research on it but thanks for the idea

Guys thanks for the advice, think I'm sorted - looking at the iPhone 5 and carphone warehouse are offering €170 trade in against the iphone4 which is probably what I'd get by selling it so will go that route & maybe flog the 4s instead

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sell it on adverts /ebay, 170 trade in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Andip wrote: »
    Guys thanks for the advice, think I'm sorted - looking at the iPhone 5 and carphone warehouse are offering €170 trade in against the iphone4 which is probably what I'd get by selling it so will go that route & maybe flog the 4s instead

Cheers again

This week, you will get more cash in GameStop.

Jarren wrote: »
    Sell it on adverts /ebay, 170 trade in?

There are lots for sale for more than €170 but i wonder how many are selling now that the 5 has launched

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shaskaneos

Andip wrote: »

There are lots for sale for more than €170 but i wonder how many are selling now that the 5 has launched

Well I'm selling mine for 270, have a buyer and all just waiting for my iPhone 5 to get delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say you could get it for at least 50 extra blips if it's unlocked, as it can then be used on any network.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Deffo worth more unlocked as the original owner only can ever get it unlocked properly.
    It will cost you nothing so just request the unlock from O2.

as for the offer of 170, if you get it unlocked, you will get approx 250 on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I sold my unlocked 16gb iP4 on adverts for €260 about a fortnight ago. It was over 2 years old and had a few scuffs and whatnot but was working fine.

The ad went up one afternoon and I had the cash in my hand the next day, and loads of offers. Do NOT take €170 trade in for a nearly mint iP4!

Unlock it, put iOS6 on it, and ask for €300. You should get decent offers close to that.

Advertisement