Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

piercing a babys ears

• 16-10-2012 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Is this mostly an Irish/catholic thing? I see it a lot up here in Belfast but only in catholic areas. I am a lowly cabby so get to see the differences in community's every day and this is something I always see and wonder about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've never seen it done here, though it's very common in Spain from what I've seen.

I'd say it's definitely not an Irish/religious thing. Just a cultural or popular thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

No I think it's more of a scumbag thing.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I've never seen it done here

In Ireland? Really?

In Ireland? Really?

Routinely to babies? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Common here among the travelling community.

Common in Spain and black people also. I brought my daughter for her 4 month jabs and a black man said about her 'he didn't like those injections', I said 'she' didn't no. And he replied with 'oh it's a girl, why are her ears not pierced'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I've never seen it done here, though it's very common in Spain from what I've seen.
    I heard the maternity hospitals in Spain provide an ear piercing service for new born girls to ensure it's carried out under medical supervision. Not sure if it's true though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

lukesmom wrote: »
    Common here among the travelling community.

Common in Spain and black people also. I brought my daughter for her 4 month jabs and a black man said about her 'he didn't like those injections', I said 'she' didn't no. And he replied with 'oh it's a girl, why are her ears not pierced'?

In his defence, you're "Luke's" mom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always think it's a real scummy thing to do.

Then it reminds me of baby circumcision and suddenly piercing seems like the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Why would anybody bother? So sore for an infant and it looks awful in my opinion. Why would you inflict unnecessary pain on a tiny baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's something that's done by people who are more concerned with using their child as a fashion accessory than they are about her welfare. In my opinion it's child abuse.

It happens in other countries too. Look at the baby on this Texas ear piercing salon page. http://www.lalobe.com/
    Dr. Recommended
    We've been piercing baby's for over 23 years. We give parents a place to bring their babies and feel comfortable and safe knowing that their baby would be in the best of hands.
    We recommend having babies ears pierced early! 3 weeks to 3 months is ideal.We use Only 14kt gold earrings without screw-backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

o1s1n wrote: »

Then it reminds me of baby circumcision and suddenly piercing seems like the lesser of two evils.

Hmm, at least there's health reasons for baby circumcision (even if they are a little outdated).
    Speaking as somebody who hasn't been through either procedure, they both seem uncalled for.

o1s1n wrote: »

Even as a guy I'd had rather my ears pierced than be circumcised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think it looks awful. Why adorn your already beautiful baby in jewellery? I think it looks tacky and unnecessary.

It should also be the decision of the child to get it done, I don't think this particular choice should be made for them. They should be able to choose themselves at a reasonable age when they're responsible enough to look after them.

I would never put my child through unnecessary pain just for the sake of sparkly ears. If they want it when they're older, so be it.

Just not on babies and toddlers, imo.

Routinely to babies? No.

We move in different circles so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

lukesmom wrote: »
    Why would anybody bother? So sore for an infant and it looks awful in my opinion. Why would you inflict unnecessary pain on a tiny baby?

For fun?

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hmm, at least there's health reasons for baby circumcision (even if they are a little outdated).

Same health reasons as if you removed another body part for no reason. Maybe remove toes to prevent in-grown toenails for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My friend who is married to a spaniard and lives in Spain has had both her daughters ears pierced. Its just something they do in Spain, its done in the hospital shortly after they are born.

Speaking as somebody who hasn't been through either procedure, they both seem uncalled for.
    Nope.
    Absolutely scientifically proven 100% to have sweet fuck all health reasons/benefits for doing so to a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Morons do it alright.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I am a piercing enthusiast but I think it's horrible looking on a baby. It should be up to the child to decide when they're old enough to vocalise an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's abuse.. plain and simple. Is it even legal to have a baby's ears pierced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're right! We better remove babies teeth to prevent them getting cavities.

Might as well whip out tonsils and the appendix too while we're at it.

Actually, lets go the whole way and replace all its limbs with bionic ones. Be totally future proofed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I think it looks awful. Why adorn your already beautiful baby in jewellery? I think it looks tacky and unnecessary.

It should also be the decision of the child to get it done, I don't think this particular choice should be made for them. They should be able to choose themselves at a reasonable age when they're responsible enough to look after them.

I would never put my child through unnecessary pain just for the sake of sparkly ears. If they want it when they're older, so be it.

Just not on babies and toddlers, imo.

+1

When they start asking can they have them pierced, that's when you start thinking if it is the right time or not to pierce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JessicaClare

It's abuse.. plain and simple. Is it even legal to have a baby's ears pierced?

Yes, well it was, my nana got my ears pierced when I was only 6 weeks old. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think it's disgusting practice and should not be allowed. And it's so so tacky, not to mention needless mutilation of an infant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Piercing a babies ears just sounds wrong.

I do however understand that its a custom in south america, but this is Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I think they look cooler with tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It happens in other countries too. Look at the baby on this Texas ear piercing salon page. http://www.lalobe.com/

20% off at the State Fair of Texas ??

YEEEEEEEEEE-HAW !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

Nope.
    Absolutely scientifically proven 100% to have sweet fuck all health reasons/benefits for doing so to a baby.

I heard it stops teens going blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sheesh.. waiting until they're born is a cheapskate option. Any mother who truly loves their daughter-to-be will give her a full makeover as an ante-natal, keyhole operation. Any mother who doesn't obviously doesn't deserve children, frankly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

gallag wrote: »
    Is this mostly an Irish/catholic thing? I see it a lot up here in Belfast but only in catholic areas. I am a lowly cabby so get to see the differences in community's every day and this is something I always see and wonder about.
    Seriously Keith? Granted you've at least tried to make this account seem a little different from your previous re-regs.

2/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Like what?

It's a total myth. The only reason circumcision is necessary is if during puberty the penis grows to a size that the existing foreskin cannot accomodate.
    It's a completely unecessary procedure.
    Saying it's for hygiene purposes is akin to recommending that everyone's teeth be removed in order to eradicate gum disease and dental decay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Childs ears pierced? - check
    Pyjamas on? - check
    Sovereign rings on - check

Scuzzy is ready for a day on d'town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

As atrocious as it is on baby girls its just so much tackier on baby boys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Seriously Keith? Granted you've at least tried to make this account seem a little different from your previous re-regs.

2/10
    Keith? Explaine your self sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

That's right, just because a practice is outdated, you shouldn't just dismiss its health benefits out of hand. Leeches still do close wounds for instance & who's to say that boring a small hole through your skull won't be as good as Anadin for getting rid of a persist headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It'd be standard here and I have to say I love it. Their norms are becoming my own, I think. The Spanish are great parents generally but I suppose they do it for aesthetic reasons. I know it's putting your kids through unnecessary pain but the pain is over in a sec. I think it looks very cute but yeah, I can see why many people would be against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Indians are quite fond of it. It's not as bad as male genital mutilation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Boombastic wrote: »
    Childs ears pierced? - check
    Pyjamas on? - check
    Sovereign rings on - check

Scuzzy is ready for a day on d'town
    Don't forget huge hoop earrings and Penney's ugg boots.

• Advertisement

Don't forget huge hoop earrings and Penney's ugg boots.
    Got them, don't worry!

sorted ;)

Advertisement