Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Savoy - reopening this Friday

Options
  • 16-10-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Anyone know more about this? I get plenty of not very informative tweets about it but what's the story? Is this going to be another 'super club' that will end up being another white elephant once the hype wears off?

Their website isn't up yet either.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a top class venue in Cork with decent dance acts, both local and further afield.
    Anyone know what's their target market?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How many times has The Savoy tried at this stage?

I never really took to the place. Always found it too big and vacuous. My main issue with the place was always the sound. It was appalling.

Best of luck to the new incumbents. I hope they make a good run of it and it doesn't turn into Club Generico mark100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

apparently they've invested 3 million into the refurb.

I've an invite to the opening on Friday, but won't make it what with it being City's last home game.

Like Gimmick above, I always hated the sound in there - the Wu Tang Clan gig last year was so bad it was almost unlistenable.

Add in the fact that it's absolutely massive and always felt a bit too cavernous - that and there were no jacks on the bottom floor, which meant a ten minute trek there and back. Never fun.

I hope it's a success but the venue itself is too big for its own good I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Anyone know what's their target market?

Savoy Cork:
    "We are delighted to announce that @CarolynnePoole of XFactor will be with us doing a PA on Saturday 27th #jazzweekender"

^ Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It will be over 23s anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

evilivor wrote: »
    Savoy Cork:
    "We are delighted to announce that @CarolynnePoole of XFactor will be with us doing a PA on Saturday 27th #jazzweekender"

Talking about scraping the end of the barrel like..

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've heard a few rumours about The Coronas and Labrinth will be playing soon in The Savoy.

Haven't been in there since a Trivium gig about 4 years ago I'd say at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Theres a promotional company from Dublin looking to start student nights in there. Fro what I've heard through the grapevine, they've done no market research, not looked at the scene in Cork at all,, and plan on giving student free stuff for handing out flyers for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sounds like the same sort of muck so. I hope they got a good interest rate on their loans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The Savoy hasn't been good since Freakscene was filling it ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

sounds like the same sort of muck so. I hope they got a good interest rate on their loans :rolleyes:

Aye, new kids into the business game have one success and try to apply the formula to another place with no real research or anything. Also, from what I've been hearing there is a slight bit of exploitation going on, but thats personal opinion from what I've heard there set-up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

From what I can find out they same guys operate/run the Lost Society in Dublin. From there website http://lostsociety.ie/venue/:
    The BASSMENT at Lost Society plays host to some of Dublin’s top club nights with eclectic music styles catered for including dubstep, punk, electro, hip hop and deep house, check our events section. Function one sound system and Martin intelligent lighting system. Dj booth 800 pioneer mixer and CDjs 2000

Maybe it won't be the same generic pop music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In the interest of honesty, I did just get hired there (as floor staff), the place is amazing. A lot has changed since the last time I was in there. I'm not trying to shill the place, but it IS very different looking and from the sounds of what they are going for it will be something new on the scene. It's looking well anyway, and I can't wait til Friday to see how the place fares when it's actually working. :)

I'm not sure how much of what we were told we are allowed reveal. We don't know who the acts who will be playing in the next few weeks are yet, but it sounds like there are gonna be a few big ones.

If you have tix for the Friday especially, make SURE you go... :) The Saturday I'm sure will be great, but I guarantee you Friday night will be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

ive just heard Cubins has been replaced by the savoy as the student night club for Ucc for the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

magicianz wrote: »
    Theres a promotional company from Dublin looking to start student nights in there. Fro what I've heard through the grapevine, they've done no market research, not looked at the scene in Cork at all,, and plan on giving student free stuff for handing out flyers for them...

There called Midnight.ie and if they can do for Cork what they have for the Dublin student night scene you will be laughing! They run majorly successful student nights across Dublin and Galway and at the end of the day all students want is cheap drink and half decent music when there out so im sure they no what there doing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there a free bar in there tonight?

In the interest of honesty, I did just get hired there (as floor staff), the place is amazing. A lot has changed since the last time I was in there. I'm not trying to shill the place, but it IS very different looking and from the sounds of what they are going for it will be something new on the scene. It's looking well anyway, and I can't wait til Friday to see how the place fares when it's actually working. :)

I'm not sure how much of what we were told we are allowed reveal. We don't know who the acts who will be playing in the next few weeks are yet, but it sounds like there are gonna be a few big ones.

If you have tix for the Friday especially, make SURE you go... :) The Saturday I'm sure will be great, but I guarantee you Friday night will be amazing.

*COUGH*
    Shill
    *COUGH* :pac:

Whats the sound system like on there Mini?

It was one of my pet hates about the place as the sounds used to bounce off everything and always seemed to be all over the place.

G'luck with the job too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anyone know what the craic is tonight? We got invites alright and emailed fuzion but only one of us got a reply. Was everyone supposed to get a reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

GavRedKing wrote: »
    *COUGH*
    Shill
    *COUGH* :pac:

Whats the sound system like on there Mini?

It was one of my pet hates about the place as the sounds used to bounce off everything and always seemed to be all over the place.

G'luck with the job too. :)

They were testing the sound yesterday, sounded crystal clear to me. I'll give a caveat that I don't have the best ear for good sound, but it did sound good. They redid all the wood panels so I don't think the reverb will be as bad as it was, but as I said, I'm far from an expert on acoustics.
    Is there a free bar in there tonight?

I'm not sure how much we are allowed to reveal...so on this I'll say nothing....
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Anyone know what the craic is tonight? We got invites alright and emailed fuzion but only one of us got a reply. Was everyone supposed to get a reply?

I don't actually know about this, but if you got invites then if there is a guest list you may as well show up. :) Trust me you WANT to be there tonight, will be the cheapest night out you'll ever have :)

I'm actually really excited for tonight :) My first proper job (been a carer for years) so I'll have fun either way. :)

I suppose it depends really on how good the sound engineer is, played a few gigs in much smaller venues, Cypress Avenue, Cruiscean etc and if the guy was decent at what he was doing it would make all the difference, I presume on opening night everything wil be perfect.

Also it will be different for one act comapred to another, so trying to compare sound for a live band compared to a DJ set would be very hard.

Either way, hope it all goes well, hope to pop in sometime soon anyway. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

A girl I know applied for the job. They didn't give her an interview, merely asked her to send a photo of herself, which she did, to which they replied that she hadn't gotten the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    A girl I know applied for the job. They didn't give her an interview, merely asked her to send a photo of herself, which she did, to which they replied that she hadn't gotten the job!!

that sort of carry on along with their use of the term 'super club' makes me feel this will be a white elephant in 12 months time.

that sort of carry on along with their use of the term 'super club' makes me feel this will be a white elephant in 12 months time.

TBH clubs always have a good opening month and tend to struggle there after.

Look at the numerous clubs that opened in the old Gas Works. 3 was it?

Blu Bambu/Bondi/and the 3rd name slipped my mind.

It will take good promitions and acts for Savoy to do well in the current climate (hate that saying) but at least the owners are putting money into the place and trying make a good go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Lyaiera wrote: »
    The Savoy hasn't been good since Freakscene was filling it ten years ago.

Freakscene hasn't been good since it left Sir Henrys, that might showing my age though.

The Savoy is a good venue and I have been to a good few epic gigs there, I think it really suits dance/electronic acts, with the right setup it should work, the only other good venue at the moment in Cork is the Pav.

Cyprus Avenue books some good acts, but it is a terrible venue, with the stupid split room and the layout flow, means you are being pushed all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Censorsh!t wrote: »

I knew I remembered the name midnight.ie, look at the link below will give you an idea of what type of nights they like to run and to why the interview was just a picture!!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/07/mondays-at-alchemy/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Spindle wrote: »
    I knew I remembered the name midnight.ie, look at the link below will give you an idea of what type of nights they like to run and to why the interview was just a picture!!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/07/mondays-at-alchemy/

Looks like the right job to me!!:pac:

You will find that most places have a pretty strict hiring policy when it comes to girls. At least they didn't waste this ones time by pretending they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

GavRedKing wrote: »
    TBH clubs always have a good opening month and tend to struggle there after.

Look at the numerous clubs that opened in the old Gas Works. 3 was it?

Blu Bambu/Bondi/and the 3rd name slipped my mind.

It will take good promitions and acts for Savoy to do well in the current climate (hate that saying) but at least the owners are putting money into the place and trying make a good go at it.

Earth was the one you are missing! and you have a point, also with The classic/the roxy and whatever it was before that. Clubs in Cork don't last long, it wasn't that long ago people were raving about the bowery, now they are all back to Reardons/havanna's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Spindle wrote: »
    Freakscene hasn't been good since it left Sir Henrys, that might showing my age though.

I was only at Freakscene a few times when it was in Henry's and I can't remember much about it. It was really good in the Savoy though. The downstairs would be really busy, but you could still move. The crowd was big enough that a pit would get going, but you could still dance if you didn't want to go crazy. The music they played was genuine rock, with no mixing in of rubbish pop music. All in all it was the best I remember Freakscene being, but as I said I don't remember much of it in Henry's. Most of what I remember of Henry's was going to metal gigs in The Annex then heading into Henry's after.

• Advertisement

As far as I can see The Bowery is still jammers every weekend and has taken bigtime from the Bodega, Classic and Havannas.

It isn't my cup of tea by any means - I have been there twice, but it is far from a flavour of the month.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    I was only at Freakscene a few times when it was in Henry's and I can't remember much about it.

My first time in Freakscene, there was a couple quite openly having sex on stage. Classy

Advertisement