Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Savoy - reopening this Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Earth was the one you are missing! and you have a point, also with The classic/the roxy and whatever it was before that. Clubs in Cork don't last long, it wasn't that long ago people were raving about the bowery, now they are all back to Reardons/havanna's.

Earth....that was it. Never liked it, mainly because of the clientele that used to go their.

I was in the other 2 places a good few times but was in Earth maybe once or twice.

True, the Bowery was the place to be a few months ago but interest has kind of died down to what it used to be.

Clubs in cork since I've been going to town over the last 9 years :

Redz
    Mangans
    Cubins
    Bowery
    Havanas
    Pavillion
    Earth
    Blu Bambu
    Gas Works
    Bondi
    Savoy
    Bodega
    Roxy
    Club One
    Barbucha (Mardyke)

There just the places I can remember going to over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Earth....that was it. Never liked it, mainly because of the clientele that used to go their.

I was in the other 2 places a good few times but was in Earth maybe once or twice.

True, the Bowery was the place to be a few months ago but interest has kind of died down to what it used to be.

Clubs in cork since I've been going to town over the last 9 years :

Redz
    Mangans
    Cubins
    Bowery
    Havanas
    Pavillion
    Earth
    Blu Bambu
    Gas Works
    Bondi
    Savoy
    Bodega
    Roxy
    Club One
    Barbucha (Mardyke)

There just the places I can remember going to over the years.

Just to add to the list,

Gorbys
    The Cube
    Surfers
    The Foundary
    Club FX
    The Keg
    Fast Eddies
    Half Moon Club
    Sidetracks
    Coco's
    Rafters
    Scotts
    The Vineyard

There have been a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Spindle wrote: »
    Just to add to the list,

Gorbys
    The Cube
    Surfers
    The Foundary
    Club FX
    The Keg
    Fast Eddies
    Half Moon Club
    Sidetracks
    Coco's
    Rafters
    Scotts
    The Vineyard

There have been a lot!!

And the kip that is the liquid lounge!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

BillJ wrote: »

Most of them are/were kips, there was the occasional gem, but that might have been the beer goggles!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

only ever been to freakscene once in gobys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    A girl I know applied for the job. They didn't give her an interview, merely asked her to send a photo of herself, which she did, to which they replied that she hadn't gotten the job!!

Well, that's illegal. She has grounds to sue right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Smeh. Went there last night, missed the free drink. Was a bit crap. Took about 20 minutes to get served, but I suppose it was the staffs first night. Left after one drink and went to the Pav :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

Generic pop music so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Shandras and klub kaos werent mentioned at all,kaos was one of the best imo although cork has always lacked variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

BillJ wrote: »

Am I the only one that likes the liquid lounge? Cheapest drink going and the smoking area is class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

My friend went and said the only good thing about Friday night was the free drink :pac: and that she would never go back :eek:

...so that has put me off ...

However anyone know how much the regular admission is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Admission: €6 w/ student ID/cheaplist/€8 general adm
    Doors: 11pm
    Over 18s/ID required/ROAR

{G:200|C:300}

From their opening night FB event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kingtut wrote: »
    My friend went and said the only good thing about Friday night was the free drink :pac: and that she would never go back :eek:

...so that has put me off ...

However anyone know how much the regular admission is ?

If you're on about the Savoy the Saturdays will be 15 euro.

I dunno about other nights.

I dunno about other nights.

Yes that is what I meant thanks, and congrats on the job :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

:eek::eek:

€15 entry in this day and age? That's fúcking outrageous, tbh. But I suppose a fool and his money are easily parted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Woah 15 EURO :eek:

Think I'll keep my €15 euro and buy 3 pints with it somewhere else :)

Anyone know why clubs charge this much? You rarely seem to get anything for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

kingtut wrote: »
    Think I'll keep my €15 euro and buy 3 pints with it somewhere else :)

Anyone know why clubs charge this much? You rarely seem to get anything for it :(
    Probably because
    A. they seem to get away with it and people still go there
    B. They probably see it as a way to control who decides to visit there, let face it lower earners and students wont be paying 15 to get in anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I heard through the grapevine that they barely had the place ready for the 8pm opening and didn't even have time to train any of their staff in on the tills etc, which was why they were a bit slow to start with.

I was there Friday and had a great night and would go back, only on a Thursday though, couldn't afford Saturday prices on a student budget :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard through the grapevine that they barely had the place ready for the 8pm opening and didn't even have time to train any of their staff in on the tills etc, which was why they were a bit slow to start with.

I was there Friday and had a great night and would go back, only on a Thursday though, couldn't afford Saturday prices on a student budget :)

From my experience I've noticed that happens quite a bit with clubs and pubs, It's not as big a deal as you would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

54kroc wrote: »
    From my experience I've noticed that happens quite a bit with clubs and pubs, It's not as big a deal as you would think.

I think it is a big deal when the fact that the place wasn't ready meant that they didn't have time to train the staff in, they were literally thrown into the deep end with no clue how to use the tills, and some didn't even have any bar experience.

I agree that it does happen a lot though, just don't think it should happen when there are unprepared staff. :)

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    and some didn't even have any bar experience.

Ya I had 4 pints and 3 of the 4 were horrible and I couldn't finish them,luckily they were free :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ya I had 4 pints and 3 of the 4 were horrible and I couldn't finish them,luckily they were free :pac:

the taste of the beer is hardly down to the lack of training of the individual pulling the pint. I wonder how well are the bars set up in terms of taps, lines and cooling systems for the beer.

Can anyone remember, how much were the pints on the Saturday night or how much will they be once people are not getting free ones? Lots of people getting hung up over the entry fee but then not batting an eyelid when it comes to over-priced beer etc.

the taste of the beer is hardly down to the lack of training of the individual pulling the pint. I wonder how well are the bars set up in terms of taps, lines and cooling systems for the beer.

Can anyone remember, how much were the pints on the Saturday night or how much will they be once people are not getting free ones? Lots of people getting hung up over the entry fee but then not batting an eyelid when it comes to over-priced beer etc.

4.80 for a pint of heineken is what my friend was charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

54kroc wrote: »

Go into any place a few hours before its opening night and you'll see chaos. It's not remotely surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Probably because
    A. they seem to get away with it and people still go there
    B. They probably see it as a way to control who decides to visit there, let face it lower earners and students wont be paying 15 to get in anywhere.

Every time the Savoy has shut down for maintenance has been because of a lack of interest in the place from virtually everybody.
    Don't know how tacking €15 onto the vanilla Saturday night is gonna bring more through the door.

Will a venue that barely manages to or doesn't even hit half-capacity when names like Josh Wink and Chic roll through really manage to hit full-capacity with no big draw at a price of €15?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why exactly would they get a company from dublin to run a student night??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

bigpink wrote: »
    Why exactly would they get a company from dublin to run a student night??

Id say because of their proven success running student night in Dublin and Galway! Midnight.ie currently run the biggest student nights in the country and also one of the biggest club nights in Dublin with "Residence". They know what they are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Passed it on the way home tonight, part of the lighting rig being assembled in the doorway

Strange sight to see a few hours before their second big event.

Seen a video of the opening night though and it does look impressive, hope it works out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Bit silly to do paying a cpmany to come all the way down from Dublin.what do midnight.ie actually do?

Advertisement