Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 4 **Season Review**

Options
  • 16-10-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome sports fans to the BFLs first quarter report. Here I will discuss the winners and losers of the first 4 weeks of the season, see how the divisions stand at this early stage, and make some wild predictions about what the playoff picture will look like come week 17. Let me know if you spot any glaring errors, or if you have a difference of opinion. Let the debate begin!

First up will be the AFC East, as all the game have been completed for this week.

AFC East
    New York Jets 4-0
    New England Patriots 3-1
    Miami Dolphins 1-3
    Buffalo Bills 0-4

The Jets are hoping they can keep flying high to continue their unbeaten start to the season. While the offence is moving along unspectacularly, the D is winning the games. It has allowed a miserly total of 792 yards and 48 points in 4 games, and has 16 takeaways. Darrelle Revis has 6 interceptions in 4 games, thats plain outrageous. If that form continues, and Sanchez can stop throwing picks, they could go all the way.

The Patriots, or Team Gronk as their affectionately known, are doing as the patriots should. That is, ripping it up on offence and being ripped up on defence. They have almost amassed 1000 yards passing alone, and yet have conceded 100 points in 4 games, one of the highest totals in the league. Still, they’re winning shootouts, and if Brady keeps finding Gronk for 150 average yards per game, they’ll be there or thereabouts at the end of the year.

The Dolphins have found themselves in a bit of a hole, but with a 3 point win against Arizona in week 3, they may just get their season back on track. They’ll need to keep winning though, as the Pats and Jets are threatening to make this a two horse race. The Bills haven’t won a game yet, and will need to pick up Ws, especially in their divisional games against the Pats in weeks 6 and 10, to have a chance of keeping pace in this division.

In terms of the playoff picture, I see the Jets taking this division with an almost perfect record. My guess is they’ll go 15-1, and will be a top seed going into the playoffs. The Patriots won’t be far behind however, and will be battling for a wildcard playoff place with the AFC South second place team, and the Chargers.

Disclaimer. Stats may be inaccurate as the EA website is crap

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Welcome sports fans to the BFLs first quarter report. Here I will discuss the winners and losers of the first 4 weeks of the season, see how the divisions stand at this early stage, and make some wild predictions about what the playoff picture will look like come week 17. Let me know if you spot any glaring errors, or if you have a difference of opinion. Let the debate begin!

First up will be the AFC East, as all the game have been completed for this week.

AFC East
    New York Jets 4-0
    New England Patriots 3-1
    Miami Dolphins 1-3
    Buffalo Bills 0-4

The Jets are hoping they can keep flying high to continue their unbeaten start to the season. While the offence is moving along unspectacularly, the D is winning the games. It has allowed a minute total of 792 yards and 48 points in 4 games, and has 16 takeaways. Darrelle Revis has 6 interceptions in 4 games, thats plain outrageous. If that form continues, and Sanchez can stop throwing picks, they could go all the way.

The Patriots, or Team Gronk as their affectionately known, are doing as the patriots should. That is, ripping it up on offence and being ripped up on defence. They have almost amassed 1000 yards passing alone, and yet have conceded 100 points in 4 games, one of the highest totals in the league. Still, they’re winning shootouts, and if Brady keeps finding Gronk for 150 average yards per game, they’ll be there or thereabouts at the end of the year.

The Dolphins have found themselves in a bit of a hole, but with a 3 point win against Arizona in week 3, they may just get their season back on track. They’ll need to keep winning though, as the Pats and Jets are threatening to make this a two horse race. The Bills haven’t won a game yet, and will need to pick up Ws, especially in their divisional games against the Pats in weeks 6 and 10, to have a chance of keeping pace in this division.

In terms of the playoff picture, I see the Jets taking this division with an almost perfect record. My guess is they’ll go 15-1, and will be a top seed going into the playoffs. The Patriots won’t be far behind however, and will be battling for a wildcard playoff place with the AFC South second place team, and the Chargers.

Davetherave will get a play off spot, probably a wild card as Dave Sanchez is so good but Gronk and Brady are just awesome and no matter who dave ends up with in the play offs i'd be pushing for him to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Can a mod give this a more appropriate tital please? People might think its just the match reports. Cheers

Washington Redskins 4-0
    Dallas Cowboys 2-2
    Philadelphia Eagles 2-2
    New York Giants 1-3

Next, we look at arguably the toughest division in football, the NFC East. Just 4 games into his NFL career, RG3 is tearing it up and look every bit as good as people hoped he’d be. He has 9 tds in the air, 1 on the ground. The highest passer rating in the league. Only 2 interceptions. Most importantly however, he has 4 wins. It is a team effort however, and the D had chipped in with 15 takeaways so far. One point to note, however, is that Washington have not yet faced a divisional rival. If they can keep up this momentum into those divisional games, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that this rookie out of Baylor could lead his team to the NFC championship game, and perhaps further.

The Dallas Cowboys are hard to read, sitting at 2-2 in second place. They opened up the season with 2 wins, then lost 2 on the bounce, including a heavy defeat to the Bears. Here’s an interesting stat, in weeks 1 and 2 combined, the cowboys turned over the ball 4 times. They won both games. In weeks 3 and 4, that figure was 8. They were beaten. I’m sure that’s no coincidence. The Cowboys have good players on both sides of the ball, but if Romo continues to throw picks (11 so far), that might all be irrelevant. If he turns things around though, they’re a genuine playoff contender.

The Philadelphia Eagles are similar to the Cowboys, although the Dream Team have done things in reverse. After 2 defeats, they are on a 2 game winning streak, including a narrow win over the Giants. Like Romo, Vick need to learn to pick his passes. His 10 interceptions will not please his coach, or his defence. In Classic Eagles style, they are accumulating big yards, both on offense and defence. Much like their divisional rivals, if Vick can cut the interceptions, and McCoy can continue his success running the rock, a place in the playoffs is not out of sight by any stretch.

Things could be very different for the Giants. Were it not for a refereeing controversy of Green-Bay-Seattle proportions, they could be 2-2. As it stand, the sit at the bottom of the division. Like his divisional foes, Mr Manning is having an interception problem. 6 tds, and double that number of picks tells its own story for the Giants. Still, Eli is putting up the numbers, and if Bradshaw keeps running 80 yards per game, the Giants might not be too far off in this division.

What a division this is. The Redskins are 2 games clear at the top, but with no divisional games played for them, things could change rapidly and dramatically. Ludicrous prediction time: Redskins will win the division, but all four teams will be within a few games of each other. It’ll go to the wire.

Feel free to put this in the OP if you prefer mods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Good job Pudsy.

Santry was likely win the division anyway, but as RG3 is only going to get better and better with the progressions he'll probably run away with it and get a no.1 seed.
    The big question is whether a wildcard will come out of the East

should have another couple of these ready to go tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    should have another couple of these ready to go tomorrow :)

Great stuff! Really enjoy reading them

Baltimore Ravens 4-0
    Cleveland Browns 3-1
    Pittsburgh Steelers 2-1
    Cincinnati Bengals 0-4

It’s tight at the top in the AFC North. The Ravens have surprised everyone with their flying start to the season. The offense in Baltimore has been racking up the points, with Ray Rice pounding the rock and the self proclaimed elite Joe Flacco airing it out. The defence has been on the weak side however, and their unbeaten streak might not be as impressive as it initially seems. The week 5 showdown with the Chiefs will show what this team is made of.

The Browns built their game plan around rookie Richardson, and it is paying off. 480 yards in 4 games helped them to beat some tough teams. Weeden is performing adequately, but he need to start throwing more TDs and less INTs. Still, this is a young team and will only get better. On this form, they’ll be pushing hard for the divisional title.

The Steelers have had a solid start, losing only to the mighty Jets. Their bye week might come at a bad time however, as they may have to beat the Eagles in week 5 to stay within a game of the division leaders. Tough games against the Chiefs and the unbeaten Redskins are on the horizon, but I am sure the Steelers have it in them to pick up some wins.

The Bengals start has not been what coach Neko would have wanted. They are 0-4, and most recently suffered a devastating last second defeat to the Jags. In this division, however, where all teams are capable of beating one another, the Bengals will be aware that a few wins against their divisional rivals will put the Bengals right back in the mix. They will look ahead to week 5, and a matchup with the struggling Dolphins, as a chance to get their first W.

Really too close to call here, and with a horrible schedule upcoming for these teams, we could be looking at a very different picture by week 8. Weeks 11, 12, and 13 could well decide this division, as Steelers @ Ravens, Browns @ Steelers, and Ravens @ Steelers all take place. My gut feeling is that, with the punishing schedules, we won’t see a wildcard coming from the AFC North.

Jacksonville Jaguars 4-0
    Houston Texans 3-1
    Tennessee Titans 2-2
    Indianapolis Colts 0-4

It’s Tebow Time in Jacksonville as the Jags are off to a flier. Mojo is of course the man to thank for their unbeaten start, he had 500+ yard and 4 tds in only the first 3 games of the season! The website stats seem to suggest Tebow and Henne have split the snaps (is this correct?), and both have put up respectable numbers. The Jags have a mean D too, only allowing 130 yards in week 3.

Despite a week 2 lose to the Jags, the Texans are in good shape, with stars on both sides of the ball. Arian Foster has had a good start to the season in both rushing and receiving with 5 tds in total. Any team with this man, and one of the league toughest defences, is capable of big things.

The Titans are a mixed bag, and other then their week 3 blowout of the Chargers, all the games have been decided by 1 score. If CJ2k can get his mojo back, he has less than 300 yards so far, the Titan will turn those narrow loses into narrow wins. Jake locker just need to keep doing what he’s doing, he has 11 TDs in 4 games.

Another one that is so close, but I predict the Jags will keep up the pace and win the division. I also think we will see a wildcard from this division, due to each team playing the lowly colts twice. All still to play for here, the divisional games will ultimately decide which way this one goes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good review Pudsy, AFC is going to be very tough.
    My narrow opening day loss to the Pats coming back to haunt me.

I dont relish having to contain MJD after having him last year, but i trust Locker to get me out of any holes C2J gets me in to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Good read Pudsy, but the site is obviously all over the shop as Chad Henne hasn't so much as held an extra point this season (that's Gabbert's job). Tebow has taken every snap so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Any more breaks in college coming up??:rolleyes:

madalig12 wrote: »
    Any more breaks in college coming up??:rolleyes:

Well it's Friday now, so not till Monday :P . But I should be able to get a few done over the weekend.

Sorry guys, struggling to find the time for this. They'll all be up Wednesday by the latest

Advertisement