Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best things about Ireland

• 16-10-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

So I'm returning to Ireland soon after a few years abroad and I'm feeling like I need a refresher on all the good things about home. I'll be avoiding the depressing talk like the plague.

Here's what I'm looking forward to:

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    No extra tax on purchases
    Reasonably priced restaurants
    The ability to haggle with landlords as they need me more than i need them right now
    Cheap internet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Kimia wrote: »
    So I'm returning to Ireland soon after a few years abroad and I'm feeling like I need a refresher on all the good things about home. I'll be avoiding the depressing talk like the plague.

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    The ability to haggle with landlords as they need me more than i need them right now
    Cheap internet!

You'd think so wouldn't you...

Superquinn sausages
    The Superquinn here shut down. :(
    Aldi
    Yeah, can't find them elsewhere.
    You still pay it.
    Compared to where?
    Have fun with that.
    Cheap internet!
    What godforsaken place are you coming from, Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

€1 pack of Donuts in Dunnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    Cheap internet!

We have a fantastic airport which allows us to emigrate to places like Melbourne, Toronto and London. Isn't that enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Reasonably priced restaurants?
    Where are you coming back form, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

• The great sense of optimism in the country
    • Our ability to admire others peoples success
    • Our sense of sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The lax and carefree attitude is what I like.

"Few naggins, be grand" is testament to that :p

Shenshen wrote: »
    Where are you coming back form, if you don't mind me asking?

Northern Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    Cheap internet!

Aldi is german
    VAT is 23%
    restaurants are vastly over-priced
    rents are on the rise
    internet is hideously expensive and ridiculously slow.

Enjoy the sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP I think your going to be very disappointed when you return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Irish Breakfast with soda bread and a cup of tea with a freshly squeezed orange juice for the healthy minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    Cheap internet!

Can't speak for Superquinn sausages, not sure about Aldi.

Plenty of extra taxes on purchases. It's just that they're hidden better. Plenty of extra taxes on everything else too and more to come.

Having just let a house. Things might have changed. I can tell you there was no haggling. We had to disappoint several people. We had it let within days of advertising it and were fielding calls for ages afterward. Left us wondering if we should have asked for more but it was the going rate. Rents are holding up.

Cheap internet. Well I get it bundled with TV and phone. So yes I guess it is.

As for other good things about Ireland. Well I'll get back to you on that. Can't think of any right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Why do people think I have no idea how much vat is etc? I have lived in Ireland before, I know what I'm comparing to.

I'm coming from Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

So you've been trying to "avoid depressing talk like the plague"?

Wrong place to come to, Kimia!:P Both Ireland and Afterhours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I'm surprised no one's mention the spuds yet:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'll be avoiding the depressing talk like the plague.
    QUOTE]

Don't listen to any radio, watch tv or read any newspapers then.

Good things about Ireland?....all this 'craic' I keep hearing about. Must be a new street drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

The potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    Cheap internet!

:confused:

Madam wrote: »

We import them from Israel.

(I don't know, I just made it up, but it despresses me to think this, so there you go!)

• Advertisement

Red Hand wrote: »
    So you've been trying to "avoid depressing talk like the plague"?

Wrong place to come to, Kimia!:P Both Ireland and Afterhours.

I know!!
    I should have put this thread in Sunshine & Lollipops. :(

Why are people so confused about the 'reasonably priced restaurants' comment?

In Toronto, you pay between $15-$20 for a main course, plus 13% plus minimu 15% for tip.

In Ireland you can get 3 courses for €20! Plus whatever you want to leave for tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

The best thing about Ireland is.................eh........um.......the best thing is.....er.......i think........eh. Sorry, can't think of one positive thing to say.

I need to emigrate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I've never seen wine in any country in the world as expensive as it is in Irish restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

We live in an astonishingly beautiful country that is a prosperous and mature social democracy. We have wonderful food products, a rich history, and a broad and varied cultural scene.

It's a great place to live. Fúck the begrudgers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Madam wrote: »

Cyprus sends us a lot of their spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Compared to 95% of the world Ireland is a paradise. Some people just dont realise how incredibly lucky they are to have been born/live here. If your unhappy in Ireland, chances are you will be miserable wherever you go. It's all about postive mental attitude, it's you that is making you miserable, not the country.

Come home OP, Ireland is fantastic.

Also, those who don't believe me on the internet, should try dealing with Rogers in Canada. May they burn in hell.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Compared to 95% of the world Ireland is a paradise. Some people just dont realise how incredibly lucky they are to have been born/live here. If your unhappy in Ireland, chances are you will be miserable wherever you go. It's all about postive mental attitude, it's you that is making you miserable, not the country.

Come home OP, Ireland is fantastic.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The hearty wimmin-folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Cyprus sends us a lot of their spuds.

They are just as nice (a bit wetter but good all the same), maybe the just need the Irish water to taste the way they do - they definately don't taste the same when cooked here in Scotland!

Also, those who don't believe me on the internet, should try dealing with Rogers in Canada. May they burn in hell.

He sounds like a bast@rd alright.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Departure Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Sergeant wrote: »
    We live in an astonishingly beautiful country that is a prosperous and mature social democracy. We have wonderful food products, a rich history, and a broad and varied cultural scene.

It's a great place to live. Fúck the begrudgers.

You could say that about the vast majority of europe, North america and australia.

Infact in comparison to first world countries we are not prosperous anymore, our food is awful, history is rich everywhere in europe and our cultural scene is completely dominated by over consumption of alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Leftist wrote: »
    You could say that about the vast majority of europe, North america and australia.

Infact in comparison to first world countries we are not prosperous anymore, our food is awful, history is rich everywhere in europe and our cultural scene is completely dominated by over consumption of alcohol.
    But apart from that it's a grand little country.

• Advertisement

Leftist wrote: »

The only thing I'd agree with is that our culture is definitely too dependent on alcohol.

The food in Ireland is outstanding. Some of the restaurants here are out of this world. I've eaten in expensive, very upscale restaurants in other countries and my favourites are in Ireland.

Also, how could I have forgotten - Leo Burdocks fish & chips!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The turf.

Never forget the turf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi
    Cheap internet!

ya think??? :D:D

Why do people think I have no idea how much vat is etc? I have lived in Ireland before, I know what I'm comparing to.

I'm coming from Canada.

you may have had tax added on at the till in Canada, but believe me, saying that there is "no added tax" in ireland is hilarious - the prices are extortionate - I suggest you shop in the north - much cheaper. :D

• Advertisement

but on the good side, Penneys have really upgraded their clothes, and you can purchase an umbrella in the pound shop for 2 Euro. :p

The positivity on Boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm coming from Canada.

You're going to find the restaurants expensive. But broadband might indeed be cheaper here I think.

you may have had tax added on at the till in Canada, but believe me, saying that there is "no added tax" in ireland is hilarious - the prices are extortionate - I suggest you shop in the north - much cheaper. :D

Again, I have lived in Ireland before. The reason I say 'no added tax' is because in Canada you think something costs something but then you forget to add tax. It's inconvenient.

Shenshen wrote: »
    You're going to find the restaurants expensive. But broadband might indeed be cheaper here I think.

The restaurants in Ireland expensive?

Again, I have lived in Ireland before - I'm Irish! I know how much things cost in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

nice enough place, dont like irish people that much though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Not to worry, there's not that many of us left here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

EdenHazard wrote: »

Self loathing will get you nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LuciusPax

My god you'd swear it was Beirut we were living in the way some people get on.Anyway the best thing about Ireland is the innate dancing ability of our people,the stellar food at Supermacs,the ever plummeting price of socks and underwear, the downright sexy politicians,and of course our churning out of top films like 'The Commitments'. Also television has got increasingly better as well, there's a great little show on tv3 called xpose which is great for catching up on all sorts of hot gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

but on the good side, Penneys have really upgraded their clothes, and you can purchase an umbrella in the pound shop for 2 Euro. :p

Why do they call it the pound shop then go and charge two Euro :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement