Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best things about Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Kimia wrote: »
    Again, I have lived in Ireland before. The reason I say 'no added tax' is because in Canada you think something costs something but then you forget to add tax. It's inconvenient.

inconvenient, but still cheaper. If you lived there long enough you would get pretty used to adding the tax on. it becomes second nature.

Kolido wrote: »
    Why do they call it the pound shop then go and charge two Euro :confused:

once a pound shop, always a pound shop. In reality it should be called the Euro twenty cent shop, but I guess they rounded it up to two euro. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

• It's one of the most beautiful countries I have been to
    • It is cold but the air is pretty clean and crisp
    • You can drive across the country for a weekend away!
    • There's a sense of unity for large events
    • People in the rural areas can be very friendly
    • Thanks to the internet Ireland has caught up on things, it no longer takes months for a movie to come out, we're no longer restricted to whatever crap music is played on the radio so we have the beauty of living in such a nice country, having our Irish ways but also have a direct line to the rest of the world.
    • The generous holiday entitlements. Public holidays and paid holidays.
    • The option of public health care.
    • No real extreme weather patterns. It gets cold but not dangerously cold, it can get warm but never to the point it's uncomfortable.
    • No deadly animals lurking. No need to check your shoes or toilet for spiders or snakes

I'm living in America, I was born in America but I miss Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

we do liv in an amazingly beautiful country (or it least in kerry ;)) unfortunatly the weather tends to fcuk everything up, ah its not that bad here, although the media would make you want to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Duggy747 wrote: »
    €1 pack of Donuts in Dunnes

twill be the death of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sergeant wrote: »
    We live in an astonishingly beautiful country that is a prosperous and mature social democracy. We have wonderful food products, a rich history, and a broad and varied cultural scene.

It's a great place to live. Fúck the begrudgers.

Go down to the dole queue in your local social welfare office on sign on day, shout that out and see what kind of reaction you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The restaurants in Ireland expensive?

Again, I have lived in Ireland before - I'm Irish! I know how much things cost in Ireland!

And I've lived in Canada... the restaurants here are pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The 'soft' rain. We don't get that in Scotland - its either pissing down or its a blowing a gale, its the only place on earth where I've seen vertical rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Go down to the dole queue in your local social welfare office on sign on day, shout that out and see what kind of reaction you get.

You big negative eejit!

You can't judge a country based on how the 15% in a bad position would react to you shouting stuff at them.

That's a dumb statement you made.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    • It's one of the most beautiful countries I have been to
    • It is cold but the air is pretty clean and crisp
    • You can drive across the country for a weekend away!
    • There's a sense of unity for large events
    • People in the rural areas can be very friendly
    • Thanks to the internet Ireland has caught up on things, it no longer takes months for a movie to come out, we're no longer restricted to whatever crap music is played on the radio so we have the beauty of living in such a nice country, having our Irish ways but also have a direct line to the rest of the world.
    • The generous holiday entitlements. Public holidays and paid holidays.
    • The option of public health care.
    • No real extreme weather patterns. It gets cold but not dangerously cold, it can get warm but never to the point it's uncomfortable.
    • No deadly animals lurking. No need to check your shoes or toilet for spiders or snakes

I'm living in America, I was born in America but I miss Ireland.

for about three days a year. mostly is damp and wet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Red Hand wrote: »
    We import them from Israel.

Israeli spuds have darker eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

You big negative eejit!

You can't judge a country based on how the 15% in a bad position would react to you shouting stuff at them.

That's a dumb statement you made.

Newsflash mate, that's the common man. While this poster might have the means and carefree lifestyle to enjoy Ireland's undoubted natural beauty I think you will find a considerable amount of people in the country have too much on their plate to enjoy such things.

Why are people so confused about the 'reasonably priced restaurants' comment?

In Toronto, you pay between $15-$20 for a main course, plus 13% plus minimu 15% for tip.

In Ireland you can get 3 courses for €20! Plus whatever you want to leave for tip.

ya, maybe in mcdonalds and supermacs and burger king

Listen, please realize that ireland is NOT cheaper than Canada. if that's why you are coming back, I would advise you stay where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like that it's not too big. Dublin is about as big a city as I'd like to live in. (obviously this could be said of many places)

You don't have to tip everyone that basically says hello to you like other places.

Fairly easy availability of booze.

Fry ups with proper sausages.

On the flip side our transport infrastructure is brutal and the laws and how we implement them often make no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Listen, please realize that ireland is NOT cheaper than Canada. if that's why you are coming back, I would advise you stay where you are.

Look fishy, I have no idea why you're not reading my posts, but I'm well aware of what things cost in Ireland as I have lived there before, and so I know what I'm comparing.

You clearly have never lived in Canada. It is very expensive living in Toronto.

Anyway that's not the only reason I started this thread but people like you just want to moan and argue for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    And I've lived in Canada... the restaurants here are pricier.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Perhaps you lived in rural Canada. See my earlier post for clarification and examples.

chill mrs, I'm just pointing out that other people have lived in Canada also and the States and believe me its a lot more expensive here with less perks.

How long have you been away if you don't mind me asking? If it's only on one of those IEC visas, then you know what you are coming back to, but if you have been away working solidly for years, you are in for a shock.

Look fishy, I have no idea why you're not reading my posts, but I'm well aware of what things cost in Ireland as I have lived there before, and so I know what I'm comparing.

Anyway that's not the only reason I started this thread but people like you just want to moan and argue for the sake of it.

just setting you straight on a 3 course for 20 euro offer, that you think you might get in Ireland - you won't unless it is in a takeaway.

chill mrs, I'm just pointing out that other people have lived in Canada also and the States and believe me its a lot more expensive here with less perks.

How long have you been away if you don't mind me asking? If it's only on one of those IEC visas, then you know what you are coming back to, but if you have been away working solidly for years, you are in for a shock.

But you see, it's not. Maybe if we were back in the boom days but to compare Toronto prices to Dublin prices, you are having a laugh if you think that Dublin is more expensive.

I don't understand how you can possibly come to that conclusion - have you lived in Toronto recently?

Why are people so confused about the 'reasonably priced restaurants' comment?

In Toronto, you pay between $15-$20 for a main course, plus 13% plus minimu 15% for tip.

In Ireland you can get 3 courses for €20! Plus whatever you want to leave for tip.

Oh, yes, if you've got a DealRush voucher or somesuch.
    Otherwise, you'll pay around €20 upwards for one main course. Plus tip.

• Advertisement

But you see, it's not. Maybe if we were back in the boom days but to compare Toronto prices to Dublin prices, you are having a laugh if you think that Dublin is more expensive.

I don't understand how you can possibly come to that conclusion - have you lived in Toronto recently?

actually I have, both in Toronto and The USA for well over ten years. I also visit there regularly and split my time between Montreal and Toronto, although I hate the four hour bus journey.

I have come to the conclusion through experience. Come back to me when you move back - we'll discuss it then. YOu seem to be getting upset at the moment. :(

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Perhaps you lived in rural Canada. See my earlier post for clarification and examples.

I wouldn't call Montreal rural exactly...

And no, you will not get a 3 course meal in any restaurant in Ireland, rural or not, for €20.
    Even in MacDonalds and BurgerKing it might be difficult to get 3 courses for that.

Seriously, if you can't find 2-3 courses for €20 in Dublin then you're obviously not a regular restaurant goer.

Seriously, if you can't find 2-3 courses for €20 in Dublin then you're obviously not a regular restaurant goer.

I'm a regular restaurant goer in Cork, and vegetarian to boost so my meals tend to be cheaper anyway. There is no restaurant here that will offer a 3 course meal for €20 outside of a special deal.

Usually, I'd be looking at around €40 for starter, main and dessert.

shenshen

I misread your post and replied in another post. However I deleted that post again as I had read your previous post wrong.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm a regular restaurant goer in Cork, and vegetarian to boost so my meals tend to be cheaper anyway. There is no restaurant here that will offer a 3 course meal for €20 outside of a special deal.

Usually, I'd be looking at around €40 for starter, main and dessert.

I don't really think there's point in continuing to argue this. I don't really have anything left to say only that I eat out very well when I'm home in good restaurants, for in and around $20 for 2-3 courses. You seem to pay more. Let's leave it at that.

just be prepared - you have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The only thing I'd agree with is that our culture is definitely too dependent on alcohol.

The food in Ireland is outstanding. Some of the restaurants here are out of this world. I've eaten in expensive, very upscale restaurants in other countries and my favourites are in Ireland.
    Sure the ingredients are the best and sure you can find some nice restaurants but overall day to day grub in canteens pubs cafs mammys is very plain. Don't get me wrong it's grand and tasty but rather unimaginative.

I don't really think there's point in continuing to argue this. I don't really have anything left to say only that I eat out very well when I'm home in good restaurants, for in and around $20 for 2-3 courses. You seem to pay more. Let's leave it at that.

Not really... I'd like some recommendations. Which restaurants do you go to? You could save people here a lot of moeny by sharing the information :)

shouldn't that be Euro - maybe thats where you are getting misguided :confused:

• Advertisement

Any restaurant by Eamon O Reilly will have a good set menu. He's one of my favourites. You can eat in Chapter One for about 30 euro for a few courses, which is unbelievable food. I've heard Le Pichet is excellent although I haven't eaten there myself. Saba (thai) is excellent and very reasonable. All some of my faves.

Any restaurant by Eamon O Reilly will have a good set menu. He's one of my favourites. You can eat in Chapter One for about 30 euro for a few courses, which is unbelievable food. I've heard Le Pichet is excellent although I haven't eaten there myself. Saba (thai) is excellent and very reasonable. All some of my faves.

four course - 65 euro
    taster course - 80 euro
    pre theatre courses - 38 euro
    vegetaraion courses - 55 Euro
    Group courses - 60 Euro
    desserts 12 euro

you could have one and a half desserts and give the other 2 euro as a tip.

:D:D

We live in an astonishingly beautiful country that is a prosperous and mature social democracy. We have wonderful food products, a rich history, and a broad and varied cultural scene.

Who had reply #25 for first mention of begrudgery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The dynamism of our young people. The diversity of the nation, now more than ever. The welcome we extend to all peoples, creeds and colours. The stunning countryside not blighted by greed or development hell.

Oh and Sally O' Brien and they way she might look at ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Best thing about living in Ireland is the large proportion of redheads - i likes my reheads so i does:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

old hippy wrote: »
    The stunning countryside not blighted by greed or development hell.

I presume you're being sarcastic? Ever been to Achill?! Not to mention ghost estates all over the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

old hippy wrote: »

Oh and Sally O' Brien and they way she might look at ye...

She wasn't even Irish :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Michelle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

there's your problem.As with every irish person who moves to a major canadian city and complains about the prices.You're living in an affluent international city.

She wasn't even Irish :(

And likewise for so much of what entered our culture over the years, decades, centuries :D

We made them our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

for about three days a year. mostly is damp and wet ;)

When it's damp and wet the air is still pure. I use to go walking when it was windy and raining along salthill. My head would be fried and eyes dried out from working in front of a computer all day. Then going outside would wake me up, I didn't think I'd miss the rain and cold air but I do.

It's 36 here again today. No coastline, no breeze. Dead air. Nice for a change but I think I'll be running back to the cold after a summer of 48 degree heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Best thing about Ireland - the f'ing brilliant people !

Irish people are simply the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

How much does internet cost in canada?

Mine is about 50 a month and its not super fast! I think internet is really expensive here. Especially compared to the UK offer we see.

Ive been all over the world but I really would miss the way of life if I left here.
    The way of life here is more relaxed than a lot of places ive visited.

I think Irish people are very unique in how friendly and open most of us are. I've had lots of people tell me they couldn't believe how friendly Irish people were.

Id also miss all the green and cows grazing in the fields - down with factory farms!!

Our sausages and rasher cannot be beaten. Same with our dairy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think that the people on the dole queue getting multiples of what they would get in England or America or France or Australia would probably agree with his sentiments. I know I do, and I've been on and off the dole over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

Got to disagree with that one. Having lived in Dublin as its most expensive and having lived in Vancouver the last number of years, Vancouver is by far more expensive...in pretty much every category.:(
    Im sure there are parts of Canada which are cheaper than parts of Ireland...but alas not the part I chose to live in lol - c'est la vie

Some great restaurants in Waterford - Hairy Pig and L'atmosphere that do €20 for 3 courses. I highly recommend.

Kimia, the things i really miss about Ireland are
    1. Chocolate
    2. TV
    3. Competitive pricing with airlines, mobile phones... The Canadian govt seem to hinder competition over here, resulting in consumers getting ripped off.
    4. stunning coastline
    5. and of course, friends and family that you've known and trusted all your life :)

enjoy being back home, im a little bit envious as much as I like Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've reeled off lists here multiple times but one that really stands out for me are the relatively low levels of pollution because of the rain and wind clearing the skies and low population. It was in the papers recently that Spain has dangerously high levels of pollution and lucky me, I live in the area of Madrid that has the highest pollution levels in the whole country! I have a smokers cough a lot of the time but the zany thing is, I don't smoke! One of my students has been coughing and sneezing and suffering from itchy eyes the past few weeks because of it. He thought he had a cold.

I was very happy in Ireland when I lived there and I'm sure you will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Best thing about Ireland is that some people here think their British or American. Can name everyone on the only way is Essex or Geordie Shore, think the Kardashians are their "friends" and talk about them as if they live next door or down the road but can't name one minister in our current Government. If I was messing this would be actually funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

crusher000 wrote: »
    Best thing about Ireland is that some people here think their British or American. Can name everyone on the only way is Essex or Geordie Shore, think the Kardashians are their "friends" and talk about them as if they live next door or down the road but can't name one minister in our current Government. If I was messing this would be actually funny.

That type of person is hardly exclusive to Ireland now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jlacey

it's still a wonderful country, the grass is always greener on the other side in life,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Bahaha I think i've heard that joke before !

Broad and varied cultural scene.

emm drinking, in all its forms, binging, at home, in the pub, in a field

crusher000 wrote: »

Must be an age thing; I don't know anyone like that back home. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement