Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale: Overhyped or The Real Deal?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

SlickRic wrote: »
    it'll also be very interesting when he doesn't have his pace anymore. i don't think there's a top-tier footballing brain in there.

Long time before that happens in fairness.

Pro. F wrote: »
    About the same I would say. Lennon is extremely underrated by most imo.

I'd say he is up there for being the worst crosser/decision maker in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm not trying to convince you with one 10 second video clip am I? You are the one telling me that I should be convinced by the video clip.

I have seen him playing many times and my view on his pace is different to yours. I'm ok with that. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't expect you to change your mind based on one very short video clip.

I don't care in the slightest if my opinion is different to the everybody else's on here. It wouldn't be the first time. I am confident enough in my own opinions. If you don't agree with what I say based on watching him play there is nothing else I can do. I am comfortable with that situation.

bxz3N.jpg

Off topic but shooting stars was an awesome show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that he's the one player in the premier league that could be considered world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that he's the one player in the premier league that could be considered world class

For realz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think everyone on both sides of the argument would disagree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

lolwut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I strongly disagree with this.

Just a few players I consider world class in the EPL :

Mata, Silva, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Rooney, RVP etc etc etc..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »

These players are not only just world class but are also much better than Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'd throw Cazorla in there as well, and Tevez when he's in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Bale is 23. Last season he got 9 goals in the league. When Messi was 23 he got 34 goals. I hate using statistics when talking about something like this but it's the easiest way to negate the argument for me.

But Messi played up front and Bale played left wing and sometimes left back. Obviously Messi is better but that stat doesn't prove it. Peter Crouch scored five times more league goals last season than Andres Iniesta did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Real Deal Now

I lol'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think even Gareth Bale's Mum would disagree with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Potentially the Real Deal

If the internet says it, it must be true.

I'm surprised to see so many people disagree with me,

Imo Bale is the best out and out left winger in world football and he would have to be considered if a World XI were to be picked

Out of the players others mentioned as being world class I'd say only Yaya Toure really comes close

The Real Deal Now

Imo Bale is the best out and out left winger in world football and he would have to be considered if a World XI were to be picked

Out of the players others mentioned as being world class I'd say only Yaya Toure really comes close

This time I rofl'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen him tear average defenders apart.

I have also seen him do nothing against very good defenders or when teams double up on him.

Jury still out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have seen him tear average defenders apart.

I have also seen him do nothing against very good defenders or when teams double up on him.

Jury still out for me.

^^
    Agreed. That's the definitive argument against him being world class imo. He needs to step it up a bit to get to world class level. That was a lovely strike against Scotland the other day from outside the box in fairness, if he was able to keep doing that on a semi-regular basis he'd be well on his way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Real Deal Now

I'd have Ronaldo ahead of him, dunno bout yourself.

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLobbFo_cOONPDT4FoHGKOdYjZEhIu8ZWVBTMdXchxAWL5X1zXuQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the Internet trolling itself.

Jackie-chan-meme.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

very good player but doesnt do it against the top sides enough a bit like ronaldo at that age give him another 2/3 years and you can judge him.

The Real Deal Now
    very good player but doesnt do it against the top sides enough a bit like ronaldo at that age give him another 2/3 years and you can judge him.

When Ronaldo was 22 he scored 42 goals in a season for United.

When Bale was 22 he scored 12, which was his best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Did bale not score a hat trick against the reigning european champions?

fair point but he does go missing in games when he on his game he pretty much unplayable against just saying he needs to do it more often even against the lesser teams is goes missing in games.all the same is a very good player

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    When Ronaldo was 22 he scored 42 goals in a season for United.

When Bale was 22 he scored 12, which was his best ever.

ya i know that but ronnie was fairly inconsistent until the champions league win in 2008 against the top teams is was always a fairly regular goal sorcerer but when utd need him against the barca`s and chelsea`s he didnt always play well that all i was saying

Never mind, I mis-read and I knwo you meant Inter Milan a few years back.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Never mind, I mis-read and I knwo you meant Inter Milan a few years back.

:o

Had you given out to me because you thought I meant Chelsea or something? :D

Had you given out to me because you thought I meant Chelsea or something? :D

I hadn't given out, just questioned when he scored a hat trick against Chelsea :o

Watch him get a hat trick now tomorrow morning. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

One of the rare times I'd rather see the internet offline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

They might have been the reigning world champions but they and Maicon were a shambles at the time, Actually, they've been pretty much a shambles ever since.

Scoring a hattrick against them was a big achievement but lets not listen to the English media and blow it out of all proportions, eh?

I can be sure no team would say no to Bale if they had signed him from S'ton.

Does any other footballer have a youtube video as beautiful as this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It is his mum.

I wonder has he gotten any faster since his Drag Reduction System was introduced? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Excellent attacking player. In the same league as Messi Ronaldo? Does he score more than a goal a game? It's a ridiculous comparison.

He's also an awful cheat, something that is wilfully ignored by the British media.

Nothing compared to our Suarez in fairness.

Although I think 'awful cheat' is a bit harsh - if we accepted that as the benchmark then we'd have to make a whole new term to describe Suarez!

Yeah he's not a cheat. It may be morally wrong but it's up to the referee to punish diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »

Nothing compared to our Suarez in fairness.

Although I think 'awful cheat' is a bit harsh - if we accepted that as the benchmark then we'd have to make a whole new term to describe Suarez!
    No difference between him and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

always a fairly regular goal sorcerer

9419037.jpg

retalivity wrote: »
    9419037.jpg

haha me and my bad spelling again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Real Deal Now
    will Bale be able to run as fast getting his ears pinned back though?
    they were an advantage in helping fly down the wing
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrY954SsdPuTOyZpCaXEDB4rEkLsV_BFxtXxzmNDPhgCkOiu7M

Prick! wrote: »
    I wonder has he gotten any faster since his Drag Reduction System was introduced? :D:D
    MD1990 wrote: »
    will Bale be able to run as fast getting his ears pinned back though?
    they were an advantage in helping fly down the wing
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrY954SsdPuTOyZpCaXEDB4rEkLsV_BFxtXxzmNDPhgCkOiu7M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Real Deal Now
    ^^
    Didnt see your comment
    the ears would have helped him fly down the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No difference between him and Suarez.

Ah there is.

Suarez dives more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

He doesnt score enough goals to be considered in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo.

Not in the same league as players like Mata, Silva, Ozil, Rooney, Van Persie (never mind Messi or Ronaldo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Excellent attacking player. In the same league as Messi Ronaldo? Does he score more than a goal a game? It's a ridiculous comparison.

He's also an awful cheat, something that is wilfully ignored by the British media.

He isn't an awful cheat. It's not fair to blow something out of proportion like that. In fairness to him he's been a good loyal professional to Spurs.

Very good player, has been good at times this season but overall isn't anywhere near his best I feel.

The Messi and Ronaldo comparisons are just sensationalism from Harry, at least for now, he's not that good yet at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Is Bale a gynaecologist as well as a decent left winger?

Why did he need to miss the game cause his other half is in labour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He's like Hazard level, but Hazard is a better footballer, but Bale has other strengths.

Advertisement