Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale: Overhyped or The Real Deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Good player severely overrated by many and a class a cheater. He hasn't near the same talent as Ronaldo or Messi.

He needs to move to a top club to realise his potential, there is hardly any need to mention Ronaldo or Messi tbh. Ronaldo is one of the best in the world, Messi is potentially the greatest of all time, Bale could reach a world class level but not at Spurs imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Potentially the Real Deal
    EdenHazard wrote: »
    He's like Hazard level, but Hazard is a better footballer, but Bale has other strengths.

Indeed, apparently he's a dab hand at the aul maternity ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

what i meant is hazard is a better pure footballer but bale is prob more of an athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The Real Deal Now
    'Arry said again on MOTD that he thinks he's the best player in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

The Real Deal Now
    Mentioned this to my friend yesterday, Bale is definitely the "in-fashion" player of the moment, no more, no less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is Bale a gynaecologist as well as a decent left winger?

Why did he need to miss the game cause his other half is in labour.

He goes down fairly easy so maybe.

Probably didnt want to miss the birth of what I presume is his first born child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He goes down fairly easy so maybe.

Probably didnt want to miss the birth of what I presume is his first born child.

I suppose giving birth in the middle of the pitch is going a bit too far.

Edit : Just to finish my point. He should have been on the pitch today. No problem with players missing games because of bereavement, other unfortunate incidents. But not child birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

'Arry said again on MOTD that he thinks he's the best player in the PL.
    Settled then, he isn't.

No problem with players missing games because of bereavement, other unfortunate incidents. But not child birth.

Child birth > Bereavement.
    Bereavement of whom ? His cat would suffice ?
    Child birth > unfortunate incidents ? The hoover just attached itself to me, i swear...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

No problem with players missing games because of bereavement, other unfortunate incidents. But not child birth.

Ah cop on now. How is he supposed to be in the right frame of mind to play a game, when his first child is being born?

Football's a game. That's his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    Ah there is.

Suarez dives more.

Nope.

Too many players cheat now, you can't say one cheats more than an other, either they do or they don't. Both those players are cheats just like many others and the game needs retrospective mandatory bans for all cheats, 3/5 game bans would be a start.2nd offence be higher with fines equating to weeks wages added might be a deterrent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

eh the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

2 more great strikes tonight v the spammers,,the 90th min winner was world class

& as for the diving he was getting kicked off the pitch & still picked himself up from another blatant foul right in front of the ref to score the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

davycc wrote: »
    & as for the diving he was getting kicked off the pitch & still picked himself up from another blatant foul right in front of the ref to score the winner

Literally the only reason he got up is because the ball was there, he was appealing for it and staying down before that, advantage was played, hardly something you can moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

We still even debating this?

Gareth. Bale. Is. The. Real. Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I hope southampton put on a rather large sell on clause because hes going to go for big bucks whenever that may be of course

Liam O wrote: »
    Literally the only reason he got up is because the ball was there, he was appealing for it and staying down before that, advantage was played, hardly something you can moan about.

Im not moaning about Bale just West ham were targeting him tonight & Collins should have been off along with Taylor...It almost paid off for them bar the incident above ..Great response from Bale I love the guy in case ye cant tell:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I reckon he's very close to being the real deal, but if he ever wants success and to win trophies then he's gonna have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

idZxnlXZwOjad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

scudzilla wrote: »
    I reckon he's very close to being the real deal, but if he ever wants success and to win trophies then he's gonna have to move.

Spurs could easily challenege for trophies with a few more additions in the summer, particularly a striker. I imagine avb is lauhghing his hole off at chelsea at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sign him up Fergie, Ronaldo too while your at it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He's the real deal, I think it's safe to say at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

klose wrote: »
    Spurs could easily challenege for trophies with a few more additions in the summer, particularly a striker. I imagine avb is lauhghing his hole off at chelsea at the moment.

They 'could' but they won't, Spurs are a selling club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that he's the one player in the premier league that could be considered world class
    Corholio wrote: »
    I think everyone on both sides of the argument would disagree with that.
    Looks like I've been proven right :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So RVP, Aguero, Mata or Silva are not 'world class' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Looks like I've been proven right :cool:

Jeez you haven't by any stretch of the imagination.

He is playing fantastically well at the moment, but he is still some way off earning that immortal 'world class' tag. If he performs like this for the rest of the season and into next season, then he could be considered for it.

He is a phenomenally talented player, but he still has a long way to go. He needs to play like this on a regular basis. The year that Ronaldo made the step-up (2008) he played like a man possessed. He dragged United through numerous games. Bale is doing that but not near the level of the man who he is so often compared to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Real Deal Now

He is playing fantastically well at the moment, but he still has a long way to go to earn that immortal 'world class' tag. If he performs like this for the rest of the season and into next season, then he could be considered for it.

He is a phenomenally talented player, but he still has a long way to go. He needs to play like this on a regular basis. The year that Ronaldo made the step-up (2008) he played like a man possessed. He dragged United through numerous games. Bale is doing that but not near the level of the man who is so often compared to.
    i would say Bale is world class i.e one of the best LW in the world
    Ronaldo in 2008 & now is the best in the world alongside Messi
    Bale will never get to there level though imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Bale isn't the real deal. Wales don't produce good left sided players, it's a fahct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Bale isn't the real deal. Wales don't produce good left sided players, it's a fahct

Ryan Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What is it with Wales and wingers? Even in rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ryan Giggs?

Thats the joke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I really have to laugh reading some of this thread.

Im a spurs fan but I would class myself as a level headed one.

He is, IMO, up there with the best 4/5 attacking players in league. Or should I say most effective because they dont all play the same position (Aguero, rooney, van persie, mata). No he is not as good as Messi or Ronaldo by a long shot. However to say hes all hype (excluding redknapps comments) is absolutely ridiculous to me.

If he continues to progress as he has done over the next 18 months I dont think hell be that far off and will be the most sought after player after those two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

i would luv bale at man utd at ths moment in time.
    but i dont for one minute think hes world class
    if we're all still talkin about him in 3-5 years time in the same vain as we are now then id prob consider it him as bein world class.

IN MY OPINION form is temporary class is permanent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I noticed tonight if he gets the ball now, all he tries is the spectacular. 50 yard passes or shooting from anywhere. He is the most in form player in the world at the mo and his goals lately are proof of this, watching him is like playing FIFA on easy at times. He will need to improve hid decision making though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MrKingsley wrote: »
    He is, IMO, up there with the best 4/5 attacking players in league.

This, well in a way. He's not the 2nd coming of Ronaldo, he's simply (or not) one of the best attacking players in the league at the moment The difference is the others have been doing it for longer for longer than him. If he works on his weaknesses such as his weaker foot and decision making and keeps it up for another season or so he should be talked about the way he is being now, until them I'll reserve judgement on him being "world class".

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Very good player, has the potential to be even better. That is all for now, because he is hyped up to a certain extent in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Definitly an excellent excellent player.

The World Class tag is a hard one to define.
    Personally if I watch a player being able to carry and win for the team nearly all by himself, regardless of team performance, then that's a class to its own - so for me I would call that world class, as that type of player is in the elite cathagory.

Bale has put in a couple of those performances this season.
    If he keeps it up then he will quickly enter the elite of football, but still needs to keep that consistency up for a while longer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I noticed tonight if he gets the ball now, all he tries is the spectacular. 50 yard passes or shooting from anywhere. He is the most in form player in the world at the mo and his goals lately are proof of this, watching him is like playing FIFA on easy at times. He will need to improve hid decision making though.

Nope, hasnt Messi scored in his last 15 La Liga games? :confused:

Which, going on recent form is better.

Had you said most in form player in the EPL then you'd have a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Leiva wrote: »
    Definitly an excellent excellent player.

The World Class tag is a hard one to define.
    Personally if I watch a player being able to carry and win for the team nearly all by himself, regardless of team performance, then that's a class to its own - so for me I would call that world class, as that type of player is in the elite cathagory.

Bale has put in a couple of those performances this season.
    If he keeps it up then he will quickly enter the elite of football, but still needs to keep that consistency up for a while longer imo.

Consistency is his major problem, can go quietly for weeks just as easy as become impossible to defend for other weeks in a row. I suspect he'll dry up again but time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

dsmythy wrote: »
    Consistency is his major problem, can go quietly for weeks just as easy as become impossible to defend for other weeks in a row. I suspect he'll dry up again but time will tell.

I think that'll improve when he goes to a bigger club. You can't stop him scoring a goal like the winner last night but you can try to defend against him by pushing him out-wide and putting a couple of players on him. But if he played at Manchester United, Real Madrid, etc, then teams wouldn't be able to do that because it would create too much space for other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It took some time but I'm glad to see he finally got out of Pablo Zabaleta's pocket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

WAS overhyped but now he is a real deal.

Great player and probably more in form player in the league. AVB did a very good job in giving him a free role. He is absolutely relishing it. His shooting has improved so much that he can score from almost anywhere now.

Class player. Not sure who will pay the price to even make Levy sell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dsmythy wrote: »

This can be said for almost all top players. Rooney goes off the boil for a few games every so often. RvP at the moment is quiet by his standards. Yaya Toure, Suarez, Aguero, David Silva, Cazorla have all gone through spells where they weren't at their best this season, some longer than others.

There's only a handful of players that are in and around their peak for the majority of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't really like the term "world class" but he's definitely talented. I don't think he's "one of the top 3 players in football right now" (Sky (c) 2013) but he's easily one of the best, if not the best attacking players in the league.

He really is carrying Spurs right now and the over reliance of him is something that I'd be worried about if I was a Spurs fan.

Needs to work on that love heart celebration thing though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

He is playing fantastically well at the moment, but he is still some way off earning that immortal 'world class' tag. If he performs like this for the rest of the season and into next season, then he could be considered for it.

He is a phenomenally talented player, but he still has a long way to go. He needs to play like this on a regular basis. The year that Ronaldo made the step-up (2008) he played like a man possessed. He dragged United through numerous games. Bale is doing that but not near the level of the man who he is so often compared to.

seriously??? the fella has almost single handedly won Spurs there last 5 matches on the trot... what do people want him to do? score another 15 goals before the end of the season?
    of course the kid is world class, who is better than him? Messi and Ronaldo, but thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

seriously??? the fella has almost single handedly won Spurs there last 5 matches on the trot... what do people want him to do? score another 15 goals before the end of the season?
    of course the kid is world class, who is better than him? Messi and Ronaldo, but thats it

Yes I am being serious. There is a ridiculous amount of nonsense being written and said about him lately.

Winning 5 matches in a row for a team does not make you world class. Doing it over the course of a season when your team are in the ****s makes you world class. RVP has done it for two seasons now. That's world class form.

It terrifies me that people are so easily led by what Sky tell them or what they read in the paper.

This is the first time that Bale has scored more than 10 goals in the league. The guy is not the third best player in the world. To say otherwise is just silly. He is knocking on the door of that elite bracket but to claim that he is better than Iniesta, Rvp, Falcao and many more on the back of 5 game winning goals is absurd.

I think he's a great player, but he's not at the level that these 'experts' seem insistent upon claiming he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MrKingsley wrote: »

He is, IMO, up there with the best 4/5 attacking players in league.
    I'd go as far as saying that he's in the top one.

On current form he's easily the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Who is better than him?

Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Mata, Silva, Ibrahimovic, Aguero, RVP, Rooney, Di Maria, Suarez, Xavi, Cavani, Tevez.

• Advertisement
Advertisement