Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change my bill pay option

Options
  • 16-10-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i have recently changed to electric ireland as my electric supplier. At the time of changing over i had to sign up for direct debit to pay my bill. Since then i have lost my job:(:( and am no longer in a position to pay my bill by direct debit and i need to change my payment option otherwise i will be incurring bank charges for having direct debit returned. is it possible to change from direct debit to paying my bill weekly in the post office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Ring Customer Contact Centre 1850 372 372. Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm. Have your account number ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Biddydelgurl,

Sorry to read about your job loss.

It is possible to make manual payments on your Electric Ireland account as a direct debit customer. Cancelling your direct debit would automatically incur a €300 security deposit (refundable after six/seven bills) so what you can do is: remain on direct debit and make payments in instalments whenever you can, but via paperless means (such as online banking, paying by debit card on our website) in order to retain your direct debit discount, so that the direct debit will be significantly reduced, or even cleared, by the time it is due for payment. You do not need to wait until you receive a bill to start paying the instalments, you can pay in any time.

It is important to leave a minimum of six days between your final payment and the direct debit date though, in order to prevent the two crossing over and the direct debit for the amount you have already paid, being presented for direct debit collection. It may not take six days for the funds to clear, but it is the safest margin.

Another option would be to set up a system with us where the same amount (based on previous usage and subject to review) is debited every month on the same date. During the wamer/brighter months, this can be an overpayment, but any credit is "banked" for the winter. In the winter, if the nominated amount is not covering usage, Electric Ireland will advise the customer the amount needs to be increased in order to prevent them getting into arrears.
    To set the above system up, the customer is required to have four cleared bills with Electric Ireland.

Do let me know if you require further assistance.

All the best,
    Una

Hi Una
    I set up a direct debit & on-line billing about 18 months ago when ye were offering good discount for this service, now all the discounts are gone, will I be penalised if I cancel those and get paper bill and cancel Direct Debit.

Hi Hillbloom,

Yes, those discounts expired on 31st March of this year, but we still offer discounts and if you stay on direct debit and online billing you can have a 4% and 2% discount applied to your account. If you discontinue both, you will not be able to avail of any discounts.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 5 biddydelgurl

Hi Una,

Thank you for your reply, i actually got my bill online this morning and it says it is due to be paid by direct debit by 31/10/12. As this is my first bill from Electric Ireland i do not have a previous bill to work from to make sure my bill is covered by paying instalments yet.

What happens if I have not paid my bill in full by that date via online payments or with debit card as you have outlined to me in your message allowing the 6 days that you have outlined may not be possible. I can make a paymet this week and another next week and that will clear my bill by the date due on direct debit but it might not have the 6days you advised between my last payment a date due.

I am really concerned that I am going to incure bank charges for direct debit being returned and your second option says i need to have 4 clear bills before i can do that.. is there no midde ground here for someone who finds themselves in this situation.

regards

• Advertisement

Hi again Biddydelgurl,

We can fully understand and appreciate your concerns. Drop me a private message and we'll see if we can come to some arrangement for you. What I would require is: your Electric Ireland account number, your name/address in full as they appear on your account, and either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth.

Regards :)
    Una

Hi Una, im new to this site and not sure how to send a private message to you.

No problem - just click on my profile and the option to message me directly is up to the top left. Or if you just click on my username to the left of this reply, the option appears in the dropdown.

Thank you I have just sent private message to you now.

Received and replied to. :)

• Advertisement

Thank you Una for being so helpful, Brilliant service from Electric Ireland. :):)

Very glad to read it! You're more than welcome - and many thanks for the kind feedback. :)

Una I was getting discount for Direct Debit & On-line Billing.  I got my bill on-line just now & I was allowed the 10e Powering Rewards but none of the other two discounts.  Are they discontinued now/  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

hillbloom wrote: »
    Una I was getting discount for Direct Debit & On-line Billing.  I got my bill on-line just now & I was allowed the 10e Powering Rewards but none of the other two discounts.  Are they discontinued now/  
    Hi hillbloom,

If you want to send a private message, I can look into your account for you.  I would need you to confirm your full name, address, tel no and contract account number.

Kind regards,
    Aoife M

hillbloom wrote: »
    Hi hillbloom,

If you want to send a private message, I can look into your account for you.  I would need you to confirm your full name, address, tel no and contract account number.

Kind regards,
    Aoi

PM sent Aoife M.  Thank you

Advertisement