Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build €900 Gaming/Video Editing/Web Design

Options
  • 16-10-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Just a quick intro, friend wants a PC for some gaming but mainly web design and some reasonable video editing. The only other request is that it he wants to be able to install windows 8, 7, Linux distro of some sort and Mac OSX. My guess win 7 on a SSD(as it's the main OS) and just a quick HDD for the rest

1. What is your budget? [€900]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Web Design] BF3 and some lesser games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [N/A]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [N/A]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [A Week or So]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can throw out the heatsink (last item on the basket to keep it inside budget including shipping).

Item|Price
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€17.82
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€33.90
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€71.15
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€90.45
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.68
    BitFenix Ghost Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil|€90.54
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 2GB GDDR5, lite retail|€183.54
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77, ATX|€127.04
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€25.77
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€920.93

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Sounds good Monotype, similar to what I was thinking.
    Although while I'm here I may as well as are there any other suggestions or ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My selection:

1fswk

You could go for a cheaper case and PSU and skimp on quality and save probably €50 between them. You could also step down the CPU to a non-unlocked multiplier which throws overclocking out the window but saves €20, more if you step down on performance but for vid editing you really want at least what's there.

System ignores AMD entirely because I've always had performance issues with them and just simply don't like 'em.

Edit: you'd need a heatsink also, add €20 ish. Pulling GFX down to AMD as Monotype suggests would keep everything at or under budget, just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You could save a bit of money on the mobo, case, and ssd, depending on what you need. Otherwise looks great

Wicker which build where you referring to as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Sorry, was referring to monotypes, the other build isnt showing up for me on this work pc

How about one final build for comparisons sake?

Also how do people feel about the Bitfenix shonobi instead? Have that case myself and it's pretty nice. I can see the feature differences, worth the extra?

Also as for the HD7850 vs the GTX660 do people see the difference in price being worth it or is it mainly personal preference

How about one final build for comparisons sake?

Also how do people feel about the Bitfenix shonobi instead? Have that case myself and it's pretty nice. I can see the feature differences, worth the extra?

Also as for the HD7850 vs the GTX660 do people see the difference in price being worth it or is it mainly personal preference

I think it's mainly personal preference. AMD have always offered slightly better value versus performance but I had one AMD card and it didn't like the games I play (BF3, FSX, and older MMO's); I found out that NV cards were more suited and I prefer NV's interface, website/updates and so on.

I just threw in a gigabyte board as I heard they play better with Mac OS, but there's plenty of alternatives that are cheaper.

The Bitfenix Ghost is a good looking case with lots of sound proofing, so you'd have a quiet PC. The Shinobi's a good one to go with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Monotype wrote: »
    You can throw out the heatsink (last item on the basket to keep it inside budget including shipping).

Item|Price
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€17.82
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€33.90
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€71.15
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€90.45
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.68
    BitFenix Ghost Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil|€90.54
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 2GB GDDR5, lite retail|€183.54
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77, ATX|€127.04
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€920.93

Hi Monotype
    That build you suggested seems to fit perfectly what I had in mind for my first build. My requirements are very much the same as the OP’s bar I will only be using Windows 7 & 8 OS’s.
    Only difference is I would like to add an internal card reader…Could you recommend one for this build?
    My budget allowed for an extra €300. Is there anything in that build that you would change (or add) to make it even more future proof?
    Excuse my ignorance but are all the cables, i.e SATA data cables etc., included with this build or do I have to order separately?
    Cheers..

• Advertisement

Lanshane wrote: »
    Hi Monotype
    That build you suggested seems to fit perfectly what I had in mind for my first build. My requirements are very much the same as the OP’s bar I will only be using Windows 7 & 8 OS’s.
    Only difference is I would like to add an internal card reader…Could you recommend one for this build?
    My budget allowed for an extra €300. Is there anything in that build that you would change (or add) to make it even more future proof?
    Excuse my ignorance but are all the cables, i.e SATA data cables etc., included with this build or do I have to order separately?
    Cheers..

You'll pick up an internal card reader for well under €50. All cables should be included with the parts.

As for the €300 - if you want to spend it, you could buy a higher-end graphics card, higher end CPU perhaps or if you like the sound of overclocking, a sealed radiator unit like a H100 for cooling the CPU. With anything that's left, upgrade the motherboard and finance the OS if you don't have it.

Another school of thought would suggest another GFX card and more powerful PSU - it depends on the games you play. Some need more CPU power than GFX (like FSX, which I use most), however most require more GFX power and thus this is where you should put the money.

Card reader:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/USB/52390/LogiLink+USB+2.0+all-in-one+Card+Reader%2C+für+3%2C5+Einbauchschacht.article

Looks like that case has a 3.5'' bay, but if you choose a different case, you might need an adapter like this:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Misc./54479/BitFenix+Halterahmen+für+2%2C5+%26+3%2C5+Zoll+in+5%2C25+Zoll%2C+SofTouch%2C+schwarz.article

Yeah, a better graphics card mightn't be a bad idea - a 7870 or even a 7950.

A 256GB SSD might be no harm either, if you wanted to throw a few games onto it.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/46112/Crucial+M4+256GB+SSD+6%2C4cm+(2%2C5).article

Actually you might need one more SATA cable for the above build. A lot of motherboards just come with two, but that's a slightly higher end one, so they might give more. Here's a spare:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/S-ATA/40328/LogiLink+SATA+0.3m+Kabel+mit+Sicherungslasche.article

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Monotype wrote: »
    Item|Price
    I'd advise getting a Noctua instead of a Thermalright. Although I'm happy with my Thermalright, I only found out afterwards that Noctua have a better rep for a flatter finish than a Thermalright.

Noctua are good alright but you have to fork out quite a bit when you want to access the good ones. The true spirit does the job well for €26. Any you'd like to recommend?

Thanks to all for the advice...much appreciated.

One more thing I forgot to mention...I would like a WiFi card just so the PC can connect to my WiFi modem and maybe the odd PC....Any recommendations?

Advertisement