Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Today I reported them to the Data Protection Commission as I had emailed them last year telling they didn't have my permission to use my data and it should be erased from that date. I hope they get their a$$ kicked. :P
    I tore the arse off them twice last week for the unsolicited calls and twice asked to be removed from their mailing list. The second time I conveyed my opinion that a company with an already bad reputation wasn't helping themselves by breaching data protection legislation. I got some rubbish about anew management team in the last number of weeks and I suggested they might not be doing a great job. The calls have ceased thankfully, maybe they got tired of the cold hard truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

ballooba wrote: »
    I tore the arse off them twice last week for the unsolicited calls and twice asked to be removed from their mailing list. The second time I conveyed my opinion that a company with an already bad reputation wasn't helping themselves by breaching data protection legislation. I got some rubbish about anew management team in the last number of weeks and I suggested they might not be doing a great job. The calls have ceased thankfully, maybe they got tired of the cold hard truth.

I moved away from Greyhound to the City Bin Company as soon as the latter began offering an alternative service in Dublin and now find them very satisfactory indeed. Greyhound removed the old (Dublin City Council) bins from my house in due course.
    Now I am getting phone calls from Greyhound, every few days, seeking to persuade me to return to them - I never chose Greyhound as waste disposal contractors in the first place - they were imposed on us by the City Council when John (Irish Water) Tierney was City Manager. Because of the manner of their imposition I will never voluntarily do business with Greyhound and I tell their cold-callers so.

They seem to have a large team of telephone salespersons hoping to swamp Dublin with unsolicited and unwanted sales calls. They must have a very large marketing budget. Personally I don't mind them wasting their money like this calling me and not cross-referencing my earlier expressions of disinterest. However I did not know I actually have the right to stop them calling me under Data Protection legislation. I am not sure how I would invoke this right.

Or maybe I'll just let them continue to waste their money on this futile effort to get me to switch back to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You can either tell them on the call that you wish to be removed from their marketing list, or (probably better) email them to request they do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    You can either tell them on the call that you wish to be removed from their marketing list, or (probably better) email them to request they do so.
    They rang me again today. 4th time, third time asking to be taken off their marketing list. They are massively incompetent, stupid or unscrupulously persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Amazing how good they are at p*****g off their customers or even p*****g their customers off ????. What a sales strategy.

Hitbit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

ballooba wrote: »
    They rang me again today. 4th time, third time asking to be taken off their marketing list. They are massively incompetent, stupid or unscrupulously persistent.

Thats why I said you're better off emailing. Then if they ring again, send a copy of the email you sent with date and time to the data protection commisioner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Got a letter today from Greyhound , complete with account number, telling me as of 3rd March that the day of my collection is being changed to Monday's in line with Dublin Council bylaws

This letter is very odd mainly since I never have been a customer of Greyhound and also that Greyhound always was Monday around my area and Thortons , who I am with , had to change to Monday because of that new bylaw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seems bag customers, who previously did not need to interact with Greyhound and instead bought their stickers from Post Offices, now have to register with Greyhound.

I want to check it with Dublin City Council as while I would have no problem registering with the council, I do not want a company like Greyhound having any personal details of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Yes, I do not understand this new regulation by Dublin City Council which seemingly requires all refuse collections in each area to be made on the same day of the week. Why? Is it to rid the streets of (unsightly??) wheely bins on all but one day or does the City Council want a single day of traffic noise and congestion as all of these very large refuse collection vehicles, from the different companies now competing, try to go down the same often narrow streets on the same day? God knows! Having washed their hands of their own refuse collection service, declaring it to be a "businsss", the DCC now want to keep their interfering fingers in the pie with this dubious new regulation about what day a refuse collection should be made.

In my own case, the otherwise excellent City Bin Company (to which I moved as soon as I could relinquish the unwelcome hands of Greyhound) have made their first bad move by issuing a totally confusing new schedule of collections (in response to the new DCC regulation) to apply from the start of March but for some reason, that makes no sense, backdated to the start of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ernest wrote: »
    Yes, I do not understand this new regulation by Dublin City Council which seemingly requires all refuse collections in each area to be made on the same day of the week. Why? Is it to rid the streets of (unsightly??) wheely bins on all but one day or does the City Council want a single day of traffic noise and congestion as all of these very large refuse collection vehicles, from the different companies now competing, try to go down the same often narrow streets on the same day? God knows! Having washed their hands of their own refuse collection service, declaring it to be a "businsss", the DCC now want to keep their interfering fingers in the pie with this dubious new regulation about what day a refuse collection should be made.

In my own case, the otherwise excellent City Bin Company (to which I moved as soon as I could relinquish the unwelcome hands of Greyhound) have made their first bad move by issuing a totally confusing new schedule of collections (in response to the new DCC regulation) to apply from the start of March but for some reason, that makes no sense, backdated to the start of January.

It's to try and stop low life scum from dumping their rubbish on the streets. If you have bin companies collecting rubbish on three or four days of the week then fly tippers have been able to disguise their dumping. This is an attempt by DCC to prevent this. Not sure how successful it will be but at least they are trying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

SPDUB wrote: »
    Got a letter today from Greyhound , complete with account number, telling me as of 3rd March that the day of my collection is being changed to Monday's in line with Dublin Council bylaws

This letter is very odd mainly since I never have been a customer of Greyhound and also that Greyhound always was Monday around my area and Thortons , who I am with , had to change to Monday because of that new bylaw

I got an e mail, that actually nothing is changing, that's a bit odd as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Missed my collection this week due to no credit. Gave them a call after topping up and they were great.
    Told it wasn't a problem and to give them a few days to sort out a collection. Met a truck on my road when I got home and asked the driver would he take it which he said he would. Went to get my bin for him and found it empty.
    Maybe it's an improvement in service or maybe due to citybin now on my road. Either way I'm impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

spurious wrote: »
    Seems bag customers, who previously did not need to interact with Greyhound and instead bought their stickers from Post Offices, now have to register with Greyhound.

I want to check it with Dublin City Council as while I would have no problem registering with the council, I do not want a company like Greyhound having any personal details of mine.

Where did you hear that? I buy my stickers from the petrol station and stocked up recently, I have no intention of registering with Greyhound, had enough problems with them during the debacle of the "disposal".

I only stay with them because it suits me to have bags rather than bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

I imagine it is to put an end to bin lorries speeding through built up areas every day of the week - a very good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

vikingdub wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I buy my stickers from the petrol station and stocked up recently, I have no intention of registering with Greyhound, had enough problems with them during the debacle of the "disposal".

I only stay with them because it suits me to have bags rather than bins.

They dropped a leaflet through letterboxes last Tuesday (my collection day). I registered as there's a free bag in it for you. Will still be buying stickers in the local Centra though (when the laser printer packs in at home:rolleyes:). They only need an address and an email address to go with it. Your soul / medical history / bank details are not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I saw it on the website, and got a leaflet dropped in the door last week.

I emailed them to see what the story is, as I have a stock of bin stickers that I bought only recently and only put a bin out about every 6-8 weeks, and practically a lifetime's supply of recycling bags due to Greyhound's diligence in dropping a new pack of them in every month or so since they took over from DCC.

The reply wasn't definitive, says that stickers/bags will continue to be accepted but are being phased out - he didn't mention a date that they might become obsolete - so I'm taking that as meaning my stickers and bags will be valid indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't honestly know how they are actually in business. Their customer service is truly appalling. I have been ringing then since January 13 to get them to collect 4 of their bins which were abandoned in the middle of our village. Blowing all over the road in recent high winds and a danger to motorists. Each time I ring it's like the first they've heard of it.

They rang me to ask me to come back in the last few weeks. I laughed out loud. They rang another 4 times. All I got when I asked why they were calling again was a 'oh sorry'.

They debited 50 quid from me last year several months AFTER I had fully paid and closed my account. They had clearly never removed my details.

I can't unsubscribe from their text message service for love or money.

I had so much trouble with them when I was a customer that I would rather eat my own rubbish than go back to them.

I genuinely think they shouldn't have a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

God some people are never happy. I'm not happy with lots of what DCC does, but it seems to be that if you're working for DCC and you read comments like this it would be absolutely frustrating. People have been lobbying the council to get all the companies to collect on the same day, for years. Finally they do something proactive and arrange so that we don't have bins and bags scattered all over our pavements every day of the week. With all the competing companies there was huge confusion over collection days. Now at least it will be the one day in that area, and it will never change. People will get used to it, like everything, over time and finally have a bit of consistency.

Greyhound, City Bin etc are getting a huge amount of flack. They don't have good business models and customer service is never great. But here they and DCC have finally sat down and tried to work out a better strategy. One of these is finally making people accountable for their waste by introducing the 'swipe' system. You have to have an account in areas where wheelie bins are used, so why would the rules be any different for those in bag-only areas? its these bag areas which are the biggest culprits for dumping. You drive up any of these bag collection areas and you'll see people have dumped non-tagged waste along with the tagged waste. It creates chaos and means that if you genuinely pay for your tag, your also paying for others who don't bother. Now at least that tag can be traced back to your house/flat and people won't get away with dumping on the same scale as before.

People need to stop complaining just for the sake of it and take a step back. Some of these measures are positive ways of trying to tackle a complicated problem. Its not easy, and we all like to moan. But how many people who moan actually do something about it and try and clean up your own local area? How many people here who are barking at collection companies and the council will be seen doing their bit to help make their neighbourhood a better place? You don't see people in the country shrugging their shoulders and dumping all their problems on the council. People take pride in their own local area. We should all take resposibility... not just the bin companies and council... but ALL of us. Thats the only realistic way forward.

If anyone has an issue with how their bin company or council are communicating these changes, then take it up directly with the company. They were all awarded licenses and the terms of those licences include proper communication with the customer. You can hold them accountable if you go through the proper channels. Hit them where it hurts - their bottom line. €€€

PS: here is the new collection days and map for Dublin City. From March 3rd just gone all companies must collect on these days. except in the central area which is a daily collection and bags only.

Domestic Waste Collection Days by Area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They dropped a leaflet through letterboxes last Tuesday (my collection day). I registered as there's a free bag in it for you. Will still be buying stickers in the local Centra though (when the laser printer packs in at home:rolleyes:). They only need an address and an email address to go with it. Your soul / medical history / bank details are not required.

Not yet, but given their history and their rather dubious business practices, I do not want my name on any list of theirs. Do you really think we won't be locked in to buying their bags when they decide to charge, let's say 15 euro for each of them?
    Thank God we can still bring the 'green' bags to bring centres for free and can avoid Greyhound's exorbitant charges and 'special' bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not yet, but given their history and their rather dubious business practices, I do not want my name on any list of theirs. Do you really think we won't be locked in to buying their bags when they decide to charge, let's say 15 euro for each of them?
    Thank God we can still bring the 'green' bags to bring centres for free and can avoid Greyhound's exorbitant charges and 'special' bags.

Since I'm still using the gazillion "green" bags Greyhound delivered to me over the years, I haven't given a thought to recycling charges. But the point will come where I'm forced to buy the bags, and the above alternative caught my eye.

Is it as easy as bringing a green bag of recycling to the bring centre though? Do you not have to have some form of separation of the waste? Is it really practical (when you have a very small kitchen and back yard!).

Just wondering......

• Advertisement

We separate now when we're putting stuff aside for recycling (cans, plastic, drinks cans, paper), but you see people doing it at the bring centres. The trick is to go frequently so it doesn't build up - and squash everything down so you can fit lots in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Danda99

Any suggestions how to get Greyhound to collect my old bins? Or any uses for the bins? I have phoned 4 times & each time I am told they will be gone in 3-5 days. It's nearly 2 months now. With my Citybin bins out for emptying & the water people digging up the pavement again (!) I can't get in or out the front gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mikekerry

one of our neighbours is putting their unmarked recyling bags(unpaid for bags) next to our rubbish for the past couple of collections.
    very sly.
    not sure how the new tag system will stop this from occurring as the rubbish is put outide our front door it looks like it's out rubbish.
    some people are so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My wife had some gobshite from the DCC come to the door and tell her this was the way we had to do things from now on. Lucky I wasn't there, because I would have flipped.

There's no way I am handing over any personal details to a company like Greyhound. A company that was suspected by many to be involved in an arson attack in 2012.

This privatisation of refuse collection should be an eyeopener to Irish people. It's been a shambles from beginning to end and a ripoff to the citizen, just like every effort at privatisation has been.

And don't fall for any of the bollocks. My wife had to listen to a mouthful of shit about how all this was to stop illegal dumping. It's all about money and squeezing as much as can be squeezed out of people. The next thing will be a mandatory annual signup for whatever exorbitant cost.

We only put a bin out every couple of weeks, sometimes it three weeks. I'm not interested in a yearly fee.

In the last few years Irish people have been pushed around to a ridiculous level.

I suppose we deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have asked just onto GH about my brown bin not being collected even though I called last week and was told collection changed to this week.
    Anyway all apologies and I was told I was on the wrong plan 2 not 3 bins. Was changed to 3 bins and went from 19 to 15.50 pm. Happy days

Forgot to say that they will be back in a few days to collect it.

Service might have improved or they know my neighbour got a red bin last week. I want to believe the former :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Has anyone found anywhere in Dublin 1 that sells Greyhound bags?

I went to the GPO and all the shops they've listed as selling them on Talbot Street and none of them do.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

And there is no point going higher in the company. You'll see earlier in the thread that I was receiving even more astonishing fibs from much higher in the company. I voted with my feet. Thank you Citybin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tannywanny

thehamok wrote: »
    Mod note: quoted content from a deleted post with potential issues removed

Do all emails from this company not have a disclaimer that info is for customers only? I know alot of companies have such disclaimers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Tannywanny wrote: »
    Do all emails from this company not have a disclaimer that info is for customers only? I know alot of companies have such disclaimers.

Do you work for Greyhound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Tannywanny

goz83 wrote: »
    Do you work for Greyhound?

Nope in a creche. Do you?

Advertisement