Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sales Reps

• 16-10-2012 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

How many of these f*ckers call to your door or do you see in your area/estate each day ?

Seems to be showers of them popping up everywhere over the last 2 or 3 months I've noticed. Can't remember a day where one hasn't come banging onn the door.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I live in a small rural town so the answer is zero.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Not too many as I live in a rural area...

Although, there was one guy who worked for a local catering company who called to my door twice in one week and had no recollection of visiting me the first time..

We had a big long conversation about a BBQ that myself and the OH were planning at the end of the Summer and everything...

Bizarre.. maybe it was his twin Brother :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I lived in a small rural town a while back and there were a few calling in to the workplace, dragging bags of poundshop grade tat to sell at inflated prices.

Do they do this as a bet or it this some sort of a cruel bootcamp thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Also living in a rural area so I'm delighted when anyone calls :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

damn those people trying to make a living

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love sales reps that would do anything for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I did a job like that when I lived abroad for 3 days. Desperate for cash, commission only. Made nothing- I hated bothering people in their home and just when they were home from work! hateful job- I couldn't believe how pushy the others were- but then I guess they made money!!! Never never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

You're lucky OP, in the country we get travellers/itinerants/knackers banging on our doors trying to sell us carpet.

"go on boss shur tis only chape, lovely bitta carpet so tis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I invite them in......... and then I give them a lovely cup of tea.

And then I defocus my eyes and the red mist comes down.

Later my mother helps me cleaning up the kitchen.

So much blood..... so much blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

None.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »

I had a young lad call here a few weeks ago from Sky. I let him do his pitch because I was actually interested.

I said Id talk it over with "the boss" (snigger) and he left me a number to call him between 7 and 8 that night,and he would call back to us.

We talked it over and decided to go with it so rang yer man...phone turned off and he was never heard from again. :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I live in a small rural town .
    xzanti wrote: »
    I live in a rural area...
    I lived in a small rural town
    Chucken wrote: »
    Also living in a rural area

Smell a cow sh1te off this thread :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Smell of burning heroin too

I think this is the 1st time Ive seen a "gang a culchies" together in AH's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I feel this thread is lacking someone from a rural area's perspective.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I feel this thread is lacking someone from a rural area's perspective.

Speaking as a rural area please come visit. Lots of quiet dogging spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Speaking as a rural area please come visit. Lots of quiet dogging spots.

Sure that would defeat the whole quiet nature of your area if people started calling around.

I live in Dublin and nobody calls to my door, it's great.

Sure that would defeat the whole quiet nature of your area if people started calling around.

I live in Dublin and nobody calls to my door, it's great.

Hmmmm, so rural dweller doesnt get callers....Dublin dweller doesnt get callers. I wonder where the OP is from? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I know they're just trying to earn a few quid but Jesus I'm sick of them. We seem to be getting at least 2 different lots each week. What really hacks me off is when I don't answer the door and they call back later. It doesn't matter how many times they knock at the door, I'm not buying whatever it is they're selling.

Last week it was ridiculous. There was a woman selling something, few minutes after she'd gone some of our nomadic brethren were going door to door trying to sell pillows:confused: Then shortly after them was another guy selling Christ knows what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't open the door to people I don't recognise.

• Advertisement

I know they're just trying to earn a few quid but Jesus I'm sick of them. We seem to be getting at least 2 different lots each week. What really hacks me off is when I don't answer the door and they call back later. It doesn't matter how many times they knock at the door, I'm not buying whatever it is they're selling.

Last week it was ridiculous. There was a woman selling something, few minutes after she'd gone some of our nomadic brethren were going door to door trying to sell pillows:confused: Then shortly after them was another guy selling Christ knows what.

Only for them, I'd never remember to treat myself to new pillows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Theres too many right ? you'd think most of the people taking up this job would realize that about 90 something per cent of us aren't interested and probably won't answer the door out of stubbornness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sometimes I think, Airtricity have their local HQ in Dublin 9 :rolleyes:

BBDBB wrote: »
    damn those people trying to make a living

Yes and Damn those people not copping on that sales reps are in the same category as clampers, TV licence inspectors and won't make a living annoying someone at their door.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Yes and Damn those people not copping on that sales reps are in the same category as clampers, TV licence inspectors and won't make a living annoying someone at their door.

people trying to make a living doing a difficult job during a recession make nice easy targets dont they, you can even clump them all together to attempt to make it sound reasonable

people trying to make a living doing a difficult job during a recession make nice easy targets don't they, you can even clump them all together to attempt to make it sound reasonable

I lost my bollocks at "difficult job". Walking about in a suit banging on doors, knowing you're just irritating people is difficult ? My heart bleeds.

I unknowingly went for an interview with these types and you wouldn't believe the s*ite they fed me and what negatives they left out too. They just leech off people with false advertising on jobs.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

people trying to make a living doing a difficult job during a recession make nice easy targets dont they, you can even clump them all together to attempt to make it sound reasonable

They get paid to annoy people, It doesn't seem unreasonable to dislike them. Work is often tough, that's why they get paid.

I lost my bollocks at "difficult job". Walking about in a suit banging on doors, knowing you're just irritating people is difficult ? My heart bleeds.

I unknowingly went for an interview with these types and you wouldn't believe the s*ite they fed me and what negatives they left out too. They just leech off people with false advertising on jobs.ie.

Most jobs have some element that can make them difficult. Dealing with the public for example. ( go check out the thread called "cries of retail" in the ranting and raving forum)

Doing jobs that are unpopular as well adds extra difficulty, the negatives that you werent told are part of that.

You seem to be arguing my case for me. People doing a job that they know gets them reactions like yours as they knock on the door for companies that have lied to them and they still do it and keep trying because in a recession they dont have the choice.

I hope you recover your bollocks as you never know when you might need them to do a job like the one you are deriding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Where To wrote: »

Pics or GTFO!
    They get paid to annoy people, It doesn't seem unreasonable to dislike them. Work is often tough, that's why they get paid.

They get paid to sell you stuff, they just annoy you. Put a sign on your door that says no soliciting and they will stop knocking. Just don't despite someone who has the will to work even if the job is sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Only done telesales before but I have massive respect for anyone trying to make a living through sales. Horrible, horrible job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I live in a condo - so don't have that problem. However, OP, it might be a good idea to put up a notice by your door 'no junk mail / unsolicited calls /. If a salesperson bothers you just point to the sign. I've seen many people delivering flyers who actually do respect those signs and pass on to the next house. It might be an idea.

Most jobs have some element that can make them difficult. Dealing with the public for example. ( go check out the thread called "cries of retail" in the ranting and raving forum)

Doing jobs that are unpopular as well adds extra difficulty, the negatives that you werent told are part of that.

You seem to be arguing my case for me. People doing a job that they know gets them reactions like yours as they knock on the door for companies that have lied to them and they still do it and keep trying because in a recession they dont have the choice.

I hope you recover your bollocks as you never know when you might need them to do a job like the one you are deriding

How is there such a demand for these positions in a recession ? I don't get it.

And why would you work commission in a job where most people regard it as a ploy by marketers and a waste of time. You're better off on the dole or emigrating rather than enduring constant "not interested" replies or no one coming to the door. You're all being exploited IMO.

How is there such a demand for these positions in a recession ? I don't get it.

And why would you work commission in a job where most people regard it as a ploy by marketers and a waste of time. You're better off on the dole or emigrating rather than enduring constant "not interested" replies or no one coming to the door. You're all being exploited IMO.

What exactly do you think "a recession" means?
    Its simple economic forces, some people are in need of an income over and above what he or she would get on the dole. Maybe emigrating isnt an option for everyone. In a recession, employment choices are limited so people end up doing jobs they wouldnt choose to do in less tough conditions or perhaps they wouldnt get due to personal circumstances.

Doing a job that is soul destroying due to constant rejections because you dont have the luxury of choosing something else is to that persons credit.
    I appreciate that sometimes their knock is inconvenient but a simple "sorry, Im not interested" is all thats required. IMO anything approaching anger or door slamming in their face is unecessary and kicking someone when they are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The joys of living in a housing estate!
    it bugs me when the guys come around from Sky - have they no list of who has already subscribed to Sky, would save them a lot of time!

Had men (howya boss!) call around looking to powerwash the driveway during the summer in the pouring rain (for a good price, we'll do a daycent job). They must have suffered from amnesia, as they were around again 2 days later trying again!

just thinking Airtricity haven't called around in a while, must be due a visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

yeah they caught me for the same thing on jobs.ie!
    Though I was going for an office job and then I found out it was door to door! First job interview I went to where I actually hoped I didn't get the job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement