Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trial by Internet - Amanda Todd

• 16-10-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may have heard the story of Amanda Todd, the 15 year old Canadian girl who was found dead on October 10 after killing herself to escape cyber bullies.

Today an internet hacking group named 'Anonymous' posted a video online naming a man which the group claims posted the topless pictures of the girl online, which led to Todd's suicide.
    The video claims the man is a 32-year-old former Facebook employee from British Columbia

This video has sparked outrage among the 'supporters' of Todd with people saying this man should 'sleep with one eye open' and that he will be 'punished'.

This video has 27,000 views in it's first day and is gaining a lot of publicity, the last person I'd want to be at this moment is the man named in the video who a lot of people are already assuming guilty of bullying this girl.

What's your view on this "trial by Internet"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218532/Amanda-Todd-Anonymous-names-man-drove-teen-kill-spreading-nude-pictures.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

What's your view, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wasn't there another story a few days ago about a journalist threatening to unmask a member of Anonymous and he begged and cried like a little bitch that yer man didn't go ahead with it.

The world is full of retards. Personally I couldn't give the tiniest of shites what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Death by Fire for Her!!!!!

no wait...

Death by Fire for Him!!!!

That it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's hardly ''anonymous''. Everyone knows Stephen Hawking's voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

No. Just.....no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sometimes I wish the internet wasn't here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wasn't there another story a few days ago about a journalist threatening to unmask a member of Anonymous and he begged and cried like a little bitch that yer man didn't go ahead with it.

The world is full of retards. Personally I couldn't give the tiniest of shites what happens

Was that not Violentacrez, the reddit mod who ran such lovely subreddits as :

• Chokeabitch
    • Niggerjailbait
    • Rapebait
    • Hitler
    • Jewmerica
    • Misogyny
    • Incest
    • Creepshots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you have proof of something then go to the cops, don't go posting videos online.

Who's to say if they've got it right? They could easily ruin a guy's life because they want to be vigilantes and wear a mask from a sh*tty film and talk like Stephen Hawking.

"But who polices the police?"
    "I dunno - Coast Guard?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

At what stage is the irony of revealing another's identity via the internet from behind a mask lost on these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is that the same Anonymous who bullied the fk out of an 11 year old and her Dad a couple of years ago?
    They done goofed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Anonymous needs to follow through with some things. They always threaten people but rarely do anything about it.

Where's the fun in that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

This is Amanda Todd's video. (Quite upsetting)

Based on that, if Anonymous HAVE found him then I couldn't care less what happened to him. What an animal. Seeing as he spammed the picture to several students in several schools when Amanda was moving around schools, it probably wouldn't be too hard to track him down from that.

B0jangles wrote: »

• Chokeabitch
    • Niggerjailbait
    • Rapebait
    • Hitler
    • Jewmerica
    • Misogyny
    • Incest
    • Creepshots

Could have been, I dunno. All these stories about victims of abuse and the faux white-knights of the internet looking for revenge have all melded into one big annoying and repetitive tabloid-esque story in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Based on that, if Anonymous HAVE found him then I couldn't care less what happened to him. What an animal. Seeing as he spammed the picture to several students in several schools when Amanda was moving around schools, it probably wouldn't be too hard to track him down from that.

But why should we take their word for it? If they have proof they should send it to the cops investigating her death.

Could have been, I dunno. All these stories about victims of abuse and the faux white-knights of the internet looking for revenge have all melded into one big annoying and repetitive tabloid-esque story in my head.

To be honest, I'm 100% behind the outing of the reddit guy, he actively promoted grotesque invasions of other people's privacy for "teh lolz", seems only fair that he should have a (lesser) version of the same thing done to him.

This thing though, this is different - did this guy actually do what they are accusing him of? At this stage it barely matters, the internet is going to come round to his house and f*ck him up regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This thing though, this is different - did this guy actually do what they are accusing him of? At this stage it barely matters, the internet is going to come round to his house and f*ck him up regardless.

They could have the wrong person and could have ruined this guys life. If it isn't him that put those pictures up, what happens if he commits suicide because of people harassing him.. Then this Anonymous group will be no better than the person/people who bullied Todd

It's a serious accusation to make

To be honest, I'm 100% behind the outing of the reddit guy, he actively promoted grotesque invasions of other people's privacy for "teh lolz", seems only fair that he should have a (lesser) version of the same thing done to him.

Have all of those subreddits been removed now? Does Reddit itself bear no responsibility whatsoever for allowing that stuff on its site in the first place?

If the guy was breaking any laws then it's the police that should be dealing with it imo, not journalists, anonymous or the busybody public-at-large. The same goes for the story about the girl that ended her own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

• Chokeabitch
    • Niggerjailbait
    • Rapebait
    • Hitler
    • Jewmerica
    • Misogyny
    • Incest
    • Creepshots

Gawker ran a story unveiling him, Reddit...the bastion of Free Speech with it's fights against the likes of Sopa and ACTA then removed all trace of the article from reddit, made posting the link a banable offence and basically tried to shut down all conversation about it.

So yeah, Free Speech for them, **** you for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

This kid was teenager and this Dick spread her picture around the net because it was there. Please die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

People need to educated their children on the dangers of using the internet, but all evidence should be handed to the Gardai to be filed away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Surely, the police will look into this at this point. There are multiple charges that could be leveled against someone sending nude pictures of a 12 year old across the internet.

Have all of those subreddits been removed now? Does Reddit itself bear no responsibility whatsoever for allowing that stuff on its site in the first place?

If the guy was breaking any laws then it's the police that should be dealing with it imo, not journalists, anonymous or the busybody public-at-large. The same goes for the story about the girl that ended her own life.

Reddit's admins adhere to a very "hands off" - style, it took serious campaigning and media outing for them for them to finally crackdown on the paedophile subreddit "Jailbait".

I've heard it said elsewhere that they happily used Violentacrez as a sort of tongs with which to handle the really vile material in order to distance themselves from it while still maintaining the idea of 100% guaranteed free-speech.

It appears they misinterpreted "free speech" to mean "consequence free speech"

Lollers wrote: »
    This kid was teenager and this Dick spread her picture around the net because it was there. Please die.

How do you know it was the guy being talked about in the OP? Do you really trust the investigations of a group of unknown people enough to wish harm on him? Seems kinda extreme to me.

Also, she posted the picture to the guy in the first place. Not that it excuses his actions in any way, but the picture certainly wasn't 'just there'... she willingly shared it with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

How do you know it was the guy being talked about in the OP? Do you really trust the investigations of a group of unknown people enough to wish harm on him? Seems kinda extreme to me.

Also, she posted the picture to the guy in the first place. Not that it excuses his actions in any way, but the picture certainly wasn't 'just there'... she willingly shared it with others.

but I think she was a vulnerable teenager. I think there must be something deeper going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I hope it really it is the right guy and TBH I can't really be too upset over what anonymous are doing. What he did was fcuking nasty.

I can forgive other things a lot easier - people make mistakes and do stupid things all the time, but doing something systematic is evil. Once something is done systematically - abuse, bullying etc., the damage done is horrific.

It is same as the difference between manslaughter and murder. There was intent, repeated intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Anonymous are just full of crap really! even when they're out doing good, It's just because they see themselves as these great mercenaries. When all they really are is pimple faced, insincere hypocrites who live in Mammy's basement.

No, she did not. She flashed on webcam, she did not send him him any pictures. She was 12 and with friends..easy for something like that to happen with dares etc.

What he did with that photo was set up facebook accounts pretending to be a new student at each school she moved to, and then spam the photo to all of those students after ingratiating himself with them. How can she be in any blamed for the actions of a complete psychopath? She was not even of the age of a rational adult at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is Amanda Todd's video. (Quite upsetting)

Based on that, if Anonymous HAVE found him then I couldn't care less what happened to him. What an animal.

Agree.

Many seem fixated on Anonymous here, Anonymous isn't the issue. The kunt who destroyed that young girls life is the issue. When you behave in a manner which is beyond the parameters of common human decency. Then you deserve a fate which is outside the parameters of said decency. I can only hope that the sick, slimy bástard who's responsible, meets a fate befitting his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

My general opinion on this is if the guy is guilty, was behind the torture of this girl and used the internet to do it...well, the internet leading to his own destruction is certainly a fitting end.

• Advertisement

Many seem fixated on Anonymous here, Anonymous isn't the issue.

Yes it is. It's what the thread is about.

A group of faceless randomers have released the name and address of someone that may not even be guilty of anything, and threatened him with violence. They should have just reported it to the police rather than do it publicly and prejudicially. That doesn't help anyone, and could in fact be detrimental to the case and investigation overall.

Yes it is. It's what the thread is about.

A group of faceless randomers have released the name and address of someone that may not even be guilty of anything, and threatened him with violence. They should have just reported it to the police rather than do it publicly and prejudicially. That doesn't help anyone, and could in fact be detrimental to the case and investigation overall.

Well, you don't know for sure that they didn't report it to police. I suppose it isn't their style, though I'm sure the police have seen that by now. As I said before, with the amount of contact he had over the years blackmailing her and befriending students in her schools, it's quite possible he wasn't that hard to trace. I would say it's more likely they have pinpointed the right person than not. I know they don't portray theemselves as saints, but I doubt they would release that if they weren't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Someone died who was young, she was a person on a learning curve but never got to the end of it,

so, so, sad, so many young people never get the chance to get older, so they could see taking their lives was a waste,

I do feel sad when someone so young decides to exit.

Well, you don't know for sure that they didn't report it to police. I suppose it isn't their style, though I'm sure the police have seen that by now. As I said before, with the amount of contact he had over the years blackmailing her and befriending students in her schools, it's quite possible he wasn't that hard to trace. I would say it's more likely they have pinpointed the right person than not. I know they don't portray theemselves as saints, but I doubt they would release that if they weren't sure.

One of the problems is though, that there is no 'they', realistically. For all anyone knows it could be a group of friends doing it for their own twisted kicks.

The YouTube account the video was posted on was only set up yesterday. Just because they use the name 'Anonymous' and wear a specific mask doesn't mean that they're any more credible than anyone else. Presumably the guy they named will now need to be placed under police protection, regardless of whether he's guilty or not; until the police have finished their investigations, which will eat up time and resources that could be put to better use.

Imo, they were stupid for publicly exposing the guy and his whereabouts, and tbh; anyone that sees it as a good idea is equally as stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just read that the group Anonymous posted Kody Maxson's (the name of the man they claim harassed Amanda Todd) home address, telephone number and email address on various sites. This group must be very sure of this guy if they're giving out that information

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just read that the group Anonymous posted Kody Maxson's (the name of the man they claim harassed Amanda Todd) home address, telephone number and email address on various sites. This group must be very sure of this guy if they're giving out that information

Why should they be sure? What's the consequences to them if they are wrong? Is it not a Constitutional right to face your accuser? Anonymous don't want to be accountable to anyone under any process that I am aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not that we need another example of what bullying does to people, but I think that video is a very hitting reminder. Partly brought on by her own actions - but at her age, its safe to say she didn't think and see the risk as many others older than her would have. But does anybody deserve this much bullying over it? Does anybody deserve to be this upset, struggle this much and eventually, commit suicide? I think not and I think we are a country that doesn't do enough to combat bullying and suicide.

We all make mistakes in life. Not everybody has the benefit of hindsight. Many of us did stupid things at that age and when we are older. Life is all about living and learning. The girl didn't know any better and made some mistakes but not worthy of causing her life to be a living hell. 15 years with the latter her being bullyed, mocked, insulted, alone, cutting herself, trying to kill herself, wanting to be dead, and so on? That's not right. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hitting back at bullying, by bullying the bully*?

I think not.

*alleged bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Strangly enough, I'd actually trust Anonymous in this. I'm not saying it's right to out the guy. I'd have sent his Id along with proof to the police. But although anonymous can be right pricks, they are generally honest and do their homework.

It's hard to know how to feel about this- while it's good that Anonymous are doing this, they have done similar, if not worse, to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I don't know how gospel the information on this link vice.com* is but it makes for disturbing reading. :(

*It sounds like a NSFW link but it seems like an ordinary news magazine site (except for their NSFW tab).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I've seen that video and I get the feeling they get some sort of enjoyment out of the control they have:S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Why are people assuming Anonymous dont have the right guy? The fact that this is released means their own credibility is on the line. So i'd imagine they have done their homework?

If they are wrong then of course they shouldnt do it.

If they are correct, then i encourage them to be creative and make this guy suffer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hitting back at bullying, by bullying the bully*?

I think not.

*alleged bully.

Sometimes the bully needs to know how being bullied feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a cause and effect thing. It's like when 4chan goes after people who post videos of animal abuse, or other hacker groups and entities like Wikileaks expose things from companies and government's.

It happens because those who should be doing it, are not.
    If it was even remotely likely that anyone would face serious legal consequences for what they did in this case, there would be no interest in vigilantism. I reckon people are doing this because they know either (a) the person will never be caught because of either lack of effort by the authorities, or some ridiculous technicalities about evidence, or (b) that if they are caught, the law is not harsh enough on people who commit crimes like this.

That is not to in any way justify trial by the mob, but this kind of thing is becoming so common that one has to ask why there is such a huge group of people, on and off the internet, who don't have faith in the established authorities such as the government and police to punish these people. Either it's because the law does not match what people feel it should, or because for some reason it's easier for these people to find out who did it.

Again, I am not justifying trial by the mob, but if you take the animal abuse cases for instance, there would have been no cause for internet vigilantism had (a) the police actually tracked down the perpetrators themselves, and (b) had there been more than a slap on the wrist as punishment for those actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Why are people assuming Anonymous dont have the right guy? The fact that this is released means their own credibility is on the line. So i'd imagine they have done their homework?

If they are correct, then i encourage them to be creative and make this guy suffer.

Most people are cool with vigilante justice - so long as they get the right guy and dish out a 'reasonable' punishment.

The problem is it's really, really difficult to do that. So we have legal systems where people spend years/decades learning the legal system in an attempt to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Because there is no anonymous that you can go out and approach. Anyone can claim the tag and there's no proper accountability with it. It's the web equivalent of an angry mob with pitch forks and if that's to be considered justice, it's a fools sense of justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Amanda Todd was a 15 year old teenager who committed suicide recently after a campaign of hate and bullying from her peers. It's a longer story than that but that's the jist of it. Before she died she made a video on Youtube about her story and what was happening to her.

Look at the comments - some of the nastiest, most hateful stuff you could ever read. What is wrong with some people? What could be going through their head as they are deciding to write some of this stuff? What possible buzz could they be getting off it?

It would be interesting if someone actually caught up with and interviewed them - asked them why they wrote that stuff. They probably don't know themselves.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

13 years ago I set the moderation structure up in Boards from my own personal feeling that people should be civil to each other and not "dicks". I've had 13 years of vague (or pointed) abuse for that decision and now finally people are beginning to voice similar opinions. Youtube, FB etc... are all cluster****s of abuse and snarling trolls and it makes for LESS freedom of speech rather than more.

I still stand by Boards system, its not perfect but its a whole lot better than those free for alls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The hate jokes page of that women that died in Australia Jill Meagher are disgusting. Its the first time Ive been disgusted on the internet and Ive seen it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This man sums it up I think...

• Advertisement
Advertisement